7950 crossfire compared to R9 290X, GeForce 780

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
I would like to know how two 7950 CF would compare in performance to the current top-end cards ( R9 290X, GeForce 780, Titan, 780ti )

I already have a 7950 and it's difficult to sell it where I live in order to get a single top-end card. I would go with CF only if the perf. is significantly higher than a single card solution (at least in the games which support CF properly).

As long as the game engine supports it.

And the drivers work. Crossfire is wonderful, when it works without issue.

I'm swapping my 7950's out for some new hardware as well. Probably will aim for another pair of AMD cards (most likely 290x's but depends) and hope the drivers continue to improve.

Haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the answers. Also, I would like to know if I can squeeze enough juice out of my Seasonic G650 to power the 2 7950s. Specs are in my sig, plus an additional 3 hard drives (though I only ever use at most one of them (Seagate 3 TB) + the 840 Pro SSD while gaming)

your PSU seems like borderline. I have a 750w for my Xfire 7950, and no overclock on CPU. I worry about it being enough... But that's just how I am.

Radeon HD 7950 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x2 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Radeon HD 7950 Crossfire x3 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850~900 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you plan to overclock i would go with an 850 minimum in 2x crossfire just to be safe

How old is your PSU? 650 watts is doable with a pair of 7950s being that they draw about 500 watts under load. I think you'd be OK tbh at 1000mhz stock voltage.

And the drivers work. Crossfire is wonderful, when it works without issue.

I'm swapping my 7950's out for some new hardware as well. Probably will aim for another pair of AMD cards (most likely 290x's but depends) and hope the drivers continue to improve.

Haven't decided yet.

Some of my favorite games from the past year aren't supported by CrossfireX. Warframe, Torchlight II, and The Secret World just to name a few. I get 0% load on my second 7950 in those titles. In titles where CrossfireX works, I'm very happy to have it. Makes all the difference in the world. Pretty much bug free so far for me in those titles.

Some of my favorite games from the past year aren't supported by CrossfireX. Warframe, Torchlight II, and The Secret World just to name a few. I get 0% load on my second 7950 in those titles. In titles where CrossfireX works, I'm very happy to have it. Makes all the difference in the world. Pretty much bug free so far for me in those titles.

That's why I only bought 1 290x :)

Have you tried adding your own application profile?

Have you tried adding your own application profile?

I tried to Google for some suggestions for working solutions for those games, but everything I've tried so far didn't do anything. Is there a good website that has suggestions of generic settings to try to get it working? The Secret World for example has it's own profile from AMD, but it doesn't seem to work.

How old is your PSU? 650 watts is doable with a pair of 7950s being that they draw about 500 watts under load. I think you'd be OK tbh at 1000mhz stock voltage.

The PSU is only 2 months old, and I am thinking that it's a bit higher quality given that it's a Seasonic. The stock voltage for my Sapphire 7950 dual-x boost is 1.25 V, I can also run 1100/1450 stable @ 1.20 V on the card I have. But does power draw depend only on voltage, or also on frequencies when voltage stays constant?

It's closer than you might think. My 2x 7950 benchmarks are about 16% higher than the 290X, though my CPU is slower than the 4770K they usually use to test. You'll get a decent boost adding another. The only FPS I play that doesn't use the second card is Team Fortress 2, but a single card is plenty for that.

I can run an OC 2500K and a single 7950 off a CX430. You might be able to get by with a 650W, though it's borderline and you probably won't get a 1200MHz OC out of it.

It's closer than you might think. My 2x 7950 benchmarks are about 16% higher than the 290X, though my CPU is slower than the 4770K they usually use to test. You'll get a decent boost adding another. The only FPS I play that doesn't use the second card is Team Fortress 2, but a single card is plenty for that.

I can run an OC 2500K and a single 7950 off a CX430. You might be able to get by with a 650W, though it's borderline and you probably won't get a 1200MHz OC out of it.

Ya till you overclock the 7950's then its more like 50%+ faster easily.Honestly i would hold off on the 290x till they release non reference cards if these overclock anything like the 7950 you will post some ridiculous numbers

Back