7950, Are You Waiting?

Anyone have a link for the 7900 series specs and prices? I can't seem to find the one I was looking at the other day. I'm disappointed in the price of the 7950, I usually am a huge fan of the $300+/-$50 card, but it seems the 7950 is just priced too close to the 7970, so it's not a performance / price bargain to me. I'm curious if the 7950 will settle in after a few weeks a decent chunk below msrp.

I wondering if a pair of 7950s would be a significant upgrade over X fired 6970s....one thing,, I'm pretty sure they will OC better.

I'm waiting for all the fools to buy 7970's , 50's and drop their 6970, and 6990's on eBay.... Not spending more than $250 on vid cards has been my mantra for years... Has worked out great so far...;)

I'm waiting for all the fools to buy 7970's , 50's and drop their 6970, and 6990's on eBay.... Not spending more than $250 on vid cards has been my mantra for years... Has worked out great so far...;)
There are a good number of (unlocked) 6950s and 6970s in the FS forum now... I guess they may become cheaper as time passes and the 7950s become available, but I don't think prices are going to drop off a cliff. Not sure what you're waiting for if you know that's what you want to upgrade to...

Don't blame you one bit. 6970's are already all over the place for ~$250. Kind of sucks for me since I own two of them, but I imagine I'll just hold onto them and maybe pass them down to somebody else after the next product refresh.

I am needing to buy a new video card that has Displayport support for a Samsung monitor I'm looking at getting. So it's either get a 6950 now, or wait a few weeks and pay a bit more for a 7950. Decisions, decisions...

I am needing to buy a new video card that has Displayport support for a Samsung monitor I'm looking at getting. So it's either get a 6950 now, or wait a few weeks and pay a bit more for a 7950. Decisions, decisions...

Its going to be QUITE a bit more in price between those two.

$450 for the second top dog makes no sense at all. When you're paying out the ass, while not go all the way? When I get the runner up card, I expect to pay no more than $350, and don't recall ever having done so, actually.

I'm looking to get a 7950 which current rumors put on 01/31 but ONLY if it can unlock to full blown 7970. If they are laser blocked then I'm more than likely going to wait the next month for Kepler to see what is going on there. The minimum performance boost I'm looking for is a Xfire pair of 2048 core Tahiti cards. I'm hoping I can get that for the price of a pair of 7950s.

Here's hoping.

Since we are supposedly near the release date, any new thoughts on the possible rumors on the speed and the idea that it can be unlocked to a 7970?

$450 for the second top dog makes no sense at all. When you're paying out the ass, while not go all the way? When I get the runner up card, I expect to pay no more than $350, and don't recall ever having done so, actually.

people bought 8800 gtx for $600 + when it was second best :D

people bought 8800 gtx for $600 + when it was second best :D

I think you mean the 7800 GTX 512 when the 1900 XT was top-dog. When the 8800 GTX came out (and cost $600) it blew everything away. Even when the 2900 XT and then 3870 were released, it was still faster in every respect. Also, if memory serves, 8800 GTXs were $550 at release, at least that's what I remember paying on launch day.

I think you mean the 7800 GTX 512 when the 1900 XT was top-dog. When the 8800 GTX came out (and cost $600) it blew everything away. Even when the 2900 XT and then 3870 were released, it was still faster in every respect. Also, if memory serves, 8800 GTXs were $550 at release, at least that's what I remember paying on launch day.

He was referring to that the 8800GTX was second to the 8800 Ultra which we all knew was #1 at the time.

;)

My 2 unlocked 6950's work great right now. I will worry about it when I cant game how I want. Spending my money on a 14mm lens for the camera :D

I can afford the 7970 easily but the reason I can afford it is because I am not frivolous with my money. I will wait for 7950 and new Nvidia cards before I remove my 2x5870. I really do want to go back to one good card though so hope Kepler is not too far off. I read maybe March.

The thing is this though, my 2x5870 can handle just about any game fine and the only games I might need more video power for are games that have a crap graphics engine that runs poorly on even the best PCs. Looking at you Cliffs of Dover. Most games are designed to run well on 6 year old consoles so why would I really need a 7970 anyway?

I'm looking to get a 7950 which current rumors put on 01/31 but ONLY if it can unlock to full blown 7970. If they are laser blocked then I'm more than likely going to wait the next month for Kepler to see what is going on there. The minimum performance boost I'm looking for is a Xfire pair of 2048 core Tahiti cards. I'm hoping I can get that for the price of a pair of 7950s.

Here's hoping.

7950 cannot unlock extra shaders. They will run 7970 bios and get some damn nice performance though.

7950 cannot unlock extra shaders. They will run 7970 bios and get some damn nice performance though.

I know the report your referring to but that was 2 or 3 cards across 2 different sites. I'm hoping when the card launches and more samples are out there we may get a better picture. My hopes haven't died yet on them unlocking :)

Since we are supposedly near the release date, any new thoughts on the possible rumors on the speed and the idea that it can be unlocked to a 7970?

I saw one review with benchmarks and 7950 still bested Nvidias GTX580 and that is with no OC.

Not too long anymore. I am not convinced on a purchase yet. $450 it a lot of dough, I am still hoping $400 or less and unlockable to a HD7970 although it appears to be going for >$450 and not unlockable.

Heck no. Not at the new release prices. Waiting with my 480gtx and limping along well enough.

I am waiting for Brent to finish his coffee and get a review on this card.

Still, not biting at the $400 price range. I can wait a bit longer until we get the BF3 single card solution!

Last edited:
Not too long anymore. I am not convinced on a purchase yet. $450 it a lot of dough, I am still hoping $400 or less and unlockable to a HD7970 although it appears to be going for >$450 and not unlockable.

if you are talking about a shader unlock -- i just don't see any logical way why AMD would let chips that can be unlocked out the door.

They started locking down the 6950's once they found out non reference designers were putting bios switches and all that jazz.

Why would they let a 7950 go out the door without the traces being cut knowing full well that when it sells it's a direct 50 or so dollars out of THEIR pocket because now they don't sell an actual 7970 chip?

In terms of maximizing their revenue - unlocked chips is a big big no-no.

I know someone who will be selling 4 EVGA GTX580 1.5 cards "light use" with 4 "cleaned" DangerDen water blocks. I believe it will be priced close to $400 for a card and block though the blocks will also be sold seperatly from the cards..

if you are talking about a shader unlock -- i just don't see any logical way why AMD would let chips that can be unlocked out the door.

They started locking down the 6950's once they found out non reference designers were putting bios switches and all that jazz.

Why would they let a 7950 go out the door without the traces being cut knowing full well that when it sells it's a direct 50 or so dollars out of THEIR pocket because now they don't sell an actual 7970 chip?

In terms of maximizing their revenue - unlocked chips is a big big no-no.
look at it in this scenario

chip 1 hits 925 with all cores unlocked, chip 2 won't hit 925 with all cores unlocked but will with 1.2V, making i too high, lock 2 cores clock it @ 800 and sell it that way, if the user wants to try unlocking the extra shaders and see how far he can oc, why not? will probably cost less to do this then to laser cut the chips, a bios change is cheaper :p

The most I ever paid for a graphics card was $399.99 which was my 1900XT. It was worth it but that it a bit too much for me now. The sweet spot for me is in the $250 range which is what I paid for my first 3870. Been gaming on these cards since and I have to say they have held up really well.

The most I ever paid for a graphics card was $399.99 which was my 1900XT. It was worth it but that it a bit too much for me now. The sweet spot for me is in the $250 range which is what I paid for my first 3870. Been gaming on these cards since and I have to say they have held up really well.

For me, the most I ever spent I think was an ATI 9800 Pro AIW (loved the fucking card) and that was about $340.

I grabbed the 7950 asus dc2 for how well they cool, if the 7970 dc2 comes out in the next couple days I may have to spend the extra hundred bucks

I grabbed the 7950 asus dc2 for how well they cool, if the 7970 dc2 comes out in the next couple days I may have to spend the extra hundred bucks

directron has 7970 dcii for pre-order
i was told mine would ship out on weds ( in 2 days )

directron has 7970 dcii for pre-order
i was told mine would ship out on weds ( in 2 days )

I seen a couple people mention that in the last couple days, for video cards I strictly deal with newegg, cpus and motherboards theirs nobody who beats microcenter, but I appreciate the heads up!

wow.... heard there wasn't going to be much of a price difference but with this little a difference, i'm having a tough time not justifying the extra jack for a 7970.

Back