790FX+SB750 is here (FXFXFXFXFXFXFX)

Yeah, um, unless you're absolutely positive you're going to be running more than 2 card CrossFire, is the $80 premium over the GX reallyworth it? Sure, the 2 lanes on the GX are x8 + x8, but remember, they're PCIe 2.0 lanes, so the total bandwidth is really about the same......

Heck, if you're not going to run CrossFire at all, the GX is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, um, unless you're absolutely positive you're going to be running more than 2 card CrossFire, is the $80 premium over the GX reallyworth it? Sure, the 2 lanes on the GX are x8 + x8, but remember, they're PCIe 2.0 lanes, so the total bandwidth is really about the same......

Heck, if you're not going to run CrossFire at all, the GX is definitely the way to go.

Not unless you are planning to run a HD 3xxx series card as your discrete card it isn't.

I'm digging around to find a link that states it more obviously than this but for now, that'll have to do until I find a better one.

One important feature that failed to work properly for us was CrossFire operation with our HD 4850 or HD 4870 cards.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the 790GX mobo would ONLY operate hybrid crossfire with a 3xxx (or previous) generation radeon card. Does anyone else have the proper link that I am looking for? (Or even a link with updated information that proves me wrong?) <-- I would be just fine with that. I like the idea of the GX board for power saving.

But unfortunatly, I am pretty sure that I read that in one of the p/reviews.

This'll do: right from the horse's mouth.

What Does An ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ System Include?

An ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ system includes an ATI Radeon™ HD 2400 Series2, ATI Radeon™ HD 3400 Series or ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3400 Series graphics processor and a motherboard based on an AMD 780 integrated chipset, all operating in a Windows Vista® environment.

Seeing as how the 790GX is still using a HD3300 for the integrated graphics, I would Imagine that the same rules for the discrete cards would still apply.

That's also confermed by this...

The board does support regular crossfire (you would want to run it in the blue and white slots) Crossfire, and hybrid crossfire, which uses the IGP graphics and an add-on card that is compliant. The list of compliant cards is small though. It includes the HD3450, HD3470 the HD 2400 Pro and the HD2400 XT. The whole hybrid concept is great, and will likely be a great upgrade option for those in that lower-end segment of the market.

source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/758/3/

You can still run other cards either single or in crossfire but you will not
be able to run them Hybrid-Crossfire with the IGP except with those cards...

That's also confermed by this...

source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/758/3/

You can still run other cards either single or in crossfire but you will not
be able to run them Hybrid-Crossfire with the IGP except with those cards...

Thanks for the link wizz! My apologies on the info, I must have mis-read that part when I was looking through it the first time. So it looks like you CAN crossfire on that board like normal -- but if you want to use hybrid crossfire, you need to use one of the 34xx or 24xx cards.

Am I blind or do I only count 5-phase power? I would expect alot more than that if I were throwing $230 at a mobo.

Thanks for the link wizz! My apologies on the info, I must have mis-read that part when I was looking through it the first time. So it looks like you CAN crossfire on that board like normal -- but if you want to use hybrid crossfire, you need to use one of the 34xx or 24xx cards.

As far as I can interpret it, yes... Regular Crossfire is OK, Hybrid is only
with those cards... Though I have heard "Rumors" that 38xx's may be
possible with Hybrid but that's just hear-say...

As for the 5 phase, the new CPU's will be lower power (TDP) chips and
shouldn't need as much as the big 65nm Phenoms... I "Assume" the
140W rating is only to handle these older CPU's for the people that
already have them...

Just my gut feeling on this... ;)

PS:
It really wouldn't make any sense to run any larger G'Cards than the
ones they list as it would slow the larger card down to match the IGP...

The 34xx and 24xx cards are just about right for Hybrid with the onboard
graphics... ;)

As far as I can interpret it, yes... Regular Crossfire is OK, Hybrid is only
with those cards... Though I have heard "Rumors" that 38xx's may be
possible with Hybrid but that's just hear-say...

PS:
It really wouldn't make any sense to run any larger G'Cards than the
ones they list as it would slow the larger card down to match the IGP...

The 34xx and 24xx cards are just about right for Hybrid with the onboard
graphics... ;)

Yeah, I know... as much as it pains me to say so.

It just means that they need to hurry up and come out with a 4xxx gen IGP so we can hybrid-crossfire it with a 4870x2 ("R700"). :D

I think a lot of people are missing the obvious benefits of having the 790GX in a multiple monitor setup. Everyone seems so surprised that it doesn't work with any discrete card greater than HD 34xx, but AMD/ATI never pretended that the chipset was going to be able to do that.

As much as I was looking forward to putting together a nice Crossfire setup on a 790FX + SB750 board for my own new rig in December, the 790GX + 1 decent discrete GPU seems a much more cost-effective solution (especially considering how fast the GPU market is moving atm).

The 790GX rig I'm building for my little brother should be arriving Monday, so I'll have to see how I like it.

I'm honestly decently impressed, I actually left my 9600GT out just to get a feel for the 3300 (not as a replacement of course). I don't play "high end" games, I just usually run multiple EVE Online clients in windowed mode or just play TF2/CS and I wanted to see how well it works for simpler stuff.

I'm honestly decently impressed, I actually left my 9600GT out just to get a feel for the 3300 (not as a replacement of course). I don't play "high end" games, I just usually run multiple EVE Online clients in windowed mode or just play TF2/CS and I wanted to see how well it works for simpler stuff.

What kinda FPS' do you get in tf2? (on what graphics setting?)

Again: regular CrossFire on a GX board is just fine; which is why (as I said before) the $80 price premium for the FX board makes no sense to me. For a discussion on Hybrid CrossFire vs Hybrid Power, look here.

An AMD/ATi version of Hybrid Power is what I'm hoping for. Yet another reason why the FX price premium makes no sense.

Yeah, shraz; pretty much. I understand why there's an $80 premium, but my point is that it's likely not worth it for the majority of users out there. Which is why I said:

... unless you're absolutely positive you're going to be running more than 2 card CrossFire, is the $80 premium over the GX reallyworth it? Sure, the 2 lanes on the GX are x8 + x8, but remember, they're PCIe 2.0 lanes, so the total bandwidth is really about the same......

I don't want to drag this out or anything; but I think I stand with many of the reviewers who've also been confused as to the product placement here. It's definitely not a bad thing, I'm just a bit perplexed I guess.

I'd have to agree...

If you're planning to run 3-way or 4-way Crossfire then
the FX makes sense, but if you're only going to run one
or two cards then there is absolutely no reason to spend
extra money for the FX unless you're simply into bragging
rights...

And the upshot of the GX is that "Later" when you move
on to the next bigger and better thing, you can retire it to
HTPC duty and you don't even need a G'Card... ;)

I'd have to agree...
And the upshot of the GX is that "Later" when you move
on to the next bigger and better thing, you can retire it to
HTPC duty and you don't even need a G'Card... ;)

Hehe... Good point. I'm also still holding out hope that AMD somehow implements some iteration of nVidia's "hybrid power" function, too.

Hehe... Good point. I'm also still holding out hope that AMD somehow implements some iteration of nVidia's "hybrid power" function, too.

I wish they would have had that feature this time around also but
I think if we do get it, it will be on the next chipset (RD890/SB800)

Or, maybe not... :p

it's like for nvidia video cards the premium to be overclocked is not really worth it. People think more expensive and latest = better, that's all.

The problem is I thought 790GX had x16+x16 but it seems they stuck it to x8+x8 in crossfire.

What kinda FPS' do you get in tf2? (on what graphics setting?)

I loaded it up and it auto-detected at 1024x768 but a bunch of stuff on high detail. I then played a couple hours and it was as fast as any card I've played on (9600gt, etc). I was going to try it at different resolutions, but was having too much fun to quit.:p For fast-paced games like TF2 I generally don't care about detail/resolution anyway, but the card is equal to the task as long as you don't go crazy on resolution. I did run some fraps benchmarks while I played but then I went to bed and forgot to check them. I'll dig them up in a bit.

Back