7900GTX worth it with my rig?

xbob04

Limp Gawd
I know this probably get asked alot, but is it worth it for me to step up to the GTX with this stuff...

A64 3700+ San Diego
Gigabyte K8VT890-9 mobo
2x512MB GEIL DDR400
SB Audigy2V
2x Samsung SATA HDDs
Dell 2405FPW
Enermax 420w NoiseTaker (dual 12v, combined 29A output)
eVGA GeForce 7800GT

I play mostly HL2 (and related mods), Quake IV, Guild Wars and a few other RPGs. Of course the real trick is I like to game as close the native res of my Dell 2405FPW as possible so I am thinking the card is worth it. I already run GW in 1920x1200 but I know some extra stuff is being added to Factions that might be pushing that level, and obviously I don't play a lot of other games at the res.

So, opinions, is it worth it (I can use Step Up so I am doing at least a 7900GT for sure), can my PSU take the load, can I get a year out of it before I get the itch to put it on eBay and see what else I can find?

I would say yes, you have a great rig and the monitor for it too.

The reason I didn't get a 7900GTX was because my monitor only does 1280x1024 (native res). So it would not push the card.

That was pretty much what i was thinking, at the moment I am almost purely GPU bound and I would really like that solid 60FPS in GW and be able to crank some other games higher as well.

Go for it. Your PSU will take it no problem, you can sell it before dx10 cards, and it will be a nice upgrade.

The only problem I forsee is the processor bottlenecking.

It's a san diego, overclock that sucker! :p

im running a 3200 and i went with the GTX. im definatly having cpu issues in games but the performance is still better than it was with my 6800nu. i really dont plan on doing benchmarks or to win any awards here, but i do plan to keep this card for awhile. next on my list of things to buy is a faster CPU. next paycheck will go towards a new cpu.

I am definitely on the look out for a new CPU, but with this motherboard near it's max, AM2 around the corner and Conroe looking promising I have to hold off. I figure the GTX will last me into next year and I don't believe for one minute the whole game industry will switch to Direct X 10 on the day Vista launches.

As for other suggestions, more RAM? Why? It has almost no impact on frame rates and none of the games I play really put it to use.

I would love to OC this processor, but this board isn't notoriously great for that.

It's gonna' be tough not to break down and spend $$$ on a new mobo and CPU for the next few months, but I hate jumping in at the end of a life cycle for a socket.

your ram is already bottlenecking your 7800gt (in some games) 7900gtx isn't leaps and bounds better...it's just a little faster. save your money for the next gen cards.

I'd say yes that it'd be worth the upgrade, certainly if your only issue is the speed of your rig. I don't really know why people are moaning about your proc, as it's plenty quick to serve up info to the GTX....you could always give it a minor oc, maybe to 2.4-2.6 or so, but I don't think it's something to fret over. One thing I would certainly recommend is getting a 2 gig kit sometime in the near future. Perhaps some of this if you don't really want to overclock or are willing to run a divider, or maybe some of this if you're interested in pushing your 3700+ really hard without running a divider.

Otherwise, I'd certainly say that it'd be a great choice for you...certainly something to power that huge-ass lcd of yours!

Yea, I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought an LCD this big. That said, it is a pleasure to game with, so whatever it takes to feed the wolf.

Back