7900GTX - Normal/Extreme/XXX? Questions

gazza_new

Limp Gawd
I'm finally buying a 7900GTX next week to go with my new Dell 2407. I was looking at the cards and price. It seems XFX offer 3 versions, each one is slightly higher clocked.

1. How much performance difference will there be at 1920x1200 resolution in games.

2. Is it worth going for the extra?

3. Whats the difference in buying the Xtreme and XXX versions when you can just overclock them yourselves?

Gauranteed OC and better quality chip that can sustain at least that much. I've also heard some manufacturers do their own volt mod in the design as opposed to reference boards, but not sure about the XFX.

1. you will rougly get a 3-6 fps gain with the XXX card in some games less, some games slightly mroe and some cases no performance increase at all, here is a good review which compares standard and "XXX" edition 7900gtx cards.

2. IMHO No, the performance gain is minimal and isnt enough enough to justify the extra cost.

3. I'm not sure about XFX but with many other manufacturers overclocking your card voids its warrenty.

Thants my two cents

Well my opinion is that you should go with an Evga 7900GTX. I say this because with Evga you get the step-up program, a lifetime warranty, and they have great tech support. Also Evga will replace your card if you kill it by trying to oc it. The only reason why they won't replace your card is if it has physical damage or water damage. So save yourself some money and get the Evga 7900gtx. All you gotta do is oc it and you have your XXX 7900GTX speeds plus $100 in your pocket.

Well - yeah, my thoughts on getting the exrtreme edition cards were, I like the fact that the mfg stands behind those overclock settings... they've likely tested and proven that the card runs at those speeds which puts it in a higher "good" yeild category, so it's likely going to be one of the better cards of the series which they produce.. well that's the hope.. was not the case with many of the first rev 7900s.. they seem to be getting better tho now.. same thing happened with the 7800s, but not as severe... or so it would seem.

i have both my cards clocked 720/1840 without heat issues or artifacts...
i see no need to spend the extra $$
though i may just have gotten lucky.

I love my eVGA 7900GTX and it overclocked to an extreme with no effort at all. I wish i could have talked to you sooner as i was sent 2 7900GTXs and i only wanted 1. I wasnt billed for 2 either, just the one i ordered. It was like buy one get one free....lol......anyway, i sold it to someone here. Unopened factory sealed eVGA 7900GTX for 390.00. Not bad heh? I had to fight to sell it, no one believed me. Back to your question, go eVGA because of what others have already said and because it overclocks easy to an extreme saving you some money. AND you might get lucky like me and get 2 for 1 ;)

I like XXX :) Och wait this is a wrong thread :) We doo not talk about pr0n? :)

Well I laugh at XFX naming policy but I've got my self a XFX 7900GT ViVo card :)

I'm really getting confused with names. Also info on their page is confusing atleast. Like my card doesn't exist even there!!?? Like normal GT with ViVo. I can find only cards with 470 Mhz + on core and ViVo and black PCB and black rail. And my is just 450 MHz (with guru3D driver) GPU and 660 MHz memory. Though with Zallman vf-900 when You doo search for automatic optimal OC settings it comes to 554/784 and works stable and cool with those settings.

To be honest I doo not know how much real testing they doo with cores. Like it cost money to sort out slower and faster chips. I gues they just try out OC versions can they or not function on higher temps. GTX comes with good cooler tht can take abuse but with other versions cooler is just same on all models hence they play with fire IMO.

MD

MD said:
I'm really getting confused with names.

someone said it in some another thread, imagine the card names there'd be if XFX made ATI cards, anyone for an XFX X1900XTX XXX edition card? lol

I'm really getting confused with names.

It's simple really: more X's means a faster product. I had that much figured out back in the X800Pro days.

To the OP, I would suggest an eVGA over the XFX, here's why. eVGA is the only graphics card company that lets you replace the cooling and not void your warranty. I would get the eVGA, put some really good cooling on it, and overclock it way past the XXX card speeds.

I can't seem to find the eVGA here in the UK from a decent supplier. How are the Gainwards? What other ones would you recommend?

Back