7900GTX issues

Kingpin

Gawd

Vista Ultimate
7900GTX (drivers 175.19)
4gigs ram

Im having issues with my 7900GTX and not sure how to fix it. Im using 175.19 drivers right now but Iv had this issue with many older drivers to. I get these lines sometimes like in the image and sometimes off players as well. Im clueless how to fix this? Iv cleaned out old drivers and tried fresh ones as well. Please help

Did this just start happening? Anything overclocked? Please list your system specs.

Welcome to the wonderful 'bad 7900 series card' experience. You're a little late to the party, but you've arrived just the same.

BACKGROUND: When the 7900 series cards were first released to market the initial batches were plagued with defective Samsung BGA memory modules. This issue largely affected the 7900GT cards, but a small portion of the 7900GTX cards fell victim as well. These cards usually weren't bad right off the shelves, rather they slowly began to die after a period of usage. The time before failure decreased as the overclock increased - so if you happen to have bought something like an EVGA 7900GT SC (SuperClocked) card you could see failure within a period of days to weeks, but if you bought a stock clocked 7900GT your card might be good for months especially if you didn't game very often.

A sure way to test to see if you have one of these cards with defective memory is to run 3DMark 06 and wait for the 'Deep Freeze' test (The last test that is run in the Free version). Cards with bad memory will quickly begin artifacting in Deep Freeze, usually with spectacularly deformed polygons and in severe cases resulting in a CTD (Crash to Desktop).

There was a big old fashioned scandal with the defective 7900 series cards and Nvidia and the board partners reacted quickly, bringing to market 'revised' 7900 cards with different memory (Usually Hynix). These cards were commonly differentiated from the initial run of cards with 'RoHS Approved' stickers - that is to say if your card has an RoHS approved sticker on the back then odds are it's from the 'revised' batch and shouldn't have the 'bad' Samsung BGA modules on it.

Its been happening for a while now and Iv tried many different drivers but always the same issue with lines appearing out of objects and other players. I usually play at 1680x1050 with basic game settings, nothing super high. Now sure what else you need. Thanks

videocardpw5.jpg

Off-topic, but you seem to have 32-bit Business. You mentioned having 4GB and Vista Ultimate in your OP, I'd suggest getting 64-bit in case you haven't noticed 32-bit only recognizes 3GB.

Also note what Blue Falcon said.

It would also be good to post your load temperatures so we know how hot your card is getting.

wow only 5714 3DMarks with my system :(

but no crashes

yeah wait a sec are you the same Nitrogen jockey 22k w/ dual 8800s on release date from XS kingpin? If not you gotta change your name man... lol.

and yeah, if you are the kingpin you would know about blue falcons story. Just to finish up on that after they removed all the defective memory from the boards and put on some cheaper slower stuff, they resold em as the 7900GTO. That was a good card $250 got you some pretty sweet performance :cool:

but yeah, that cards done. RMA.

Back