7900GT temps skyrocketing

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
So Im planning on selling my 7900GTs to make way for G80. I have a 7900GT CO and a 7900GT KO SC. The COs temps are what they should be for a WCed case (60ish under load while 50C idle) I measure 1.2v on the core on and off load.

As far as the KO SC goes, I have a problem. Idle, its cooler than the CO on idle right how (52 vs 55C) but load, it gets as hot as 90C. Both cards were volt modded and WCed, but I took off the WCing and the volt mods (conductive pen) and everything is at stock now (for the KO SC cores at 580) I measured the volts idle and its 1.2, but it goes to 1.45 under load, is that normal for all SCs (pref the KO series)? According to NiBiTor, 2D is 1.2, and 3D is 1.45 but Im wondering, is that normal? I can set 1.2 for the 3D but i dont know if that will mess up the stock Oc of 580. Please help as Im wanting to game but not with these temps. Hell it was 99+ before i reseated the HSF (which I thought that was the problem) BTW its a 256-P2-N567-AX Should I RMA it? Recently it just started to run really hot with my WC block on it (I thought it was because I took the block off and just reseat it wrong and didnt feel like fixing it :p) but looks like i seat it right and somethings up with the card.

Wow, you are really running hot. I bought a Zalman VF900-CU and it brought my 7900GT temps down from 56C to 42C, and I have a 575MHZ OC on it. You might want to look into one.

No, thats the thing...I cant. I had a stasis neptune block on it which kept the temps down, but I need the card to stay cooler on stock cooling. Im going to sell it so having to put an aftermarket HSF on it defeats the purpose.

It could be plugged up with dust, so take it out and just blow into it, if a bit comes out then buy some canned air from a department store and blow it out. NEVER use a vacuum cleaner as it creates too much static.
f

??

Did I just not say that it had WCing on it? The stock HSF was never used. How can there be dust?

at 90C your water temp should be going up, if your water temp isn't going up from before the problem started happening than you aren't transfering the heat

i would triple check the seating of the block..

double check that you are pumping...

is the block itself getting really hot?

is the water temp going up significantly?

have you tried re-installing the stock HSF?

i would be highly suspect of a cooling failure before i would start to venture into the "bad card" territory...

feel the back of the card, is the back of the card (opposite the gpu) really hot?

there is always the long shot possibility that the temp sensor is just out of wack.. (but that is most likely not the case)..

Are you absolutely positive you got all the conductive ink off? Sure sounds like it's still making contact. I never heard of any 7900 series increasing voltage that high.

Ok, I dont know what im not making perfectly clear here.

I HAD a WC block on it, then took it off. Im planning on selling the card so I put the stock HSF back on it. My temps are up to 90C. I reseat the stock HSF (which i put back on) and its still 90C. Right now, idle is 68C. Yes, I am sure all the conductive ink is off. I know becuase on idle, the volts are 1.2. Load is 1.45. If there was still some left, its always 1.45. Anyways, I think something happened to the card, but I wanna ask here to see what your guys opinions are.

Check your application of thermal paste on the GPU...every time you take off the cooler, you have to re-apply the thermal paste. Also, are (if there is memory cooling) the thermal pads making good contact with the HS?

When temps are high after re-applying stock hsf, those are the first things to check, always. Clean off the GPU and re-apply some AS5 or MX-1 thermal paste.

There is definately something wrong, can anyone post some idle temps for their 7900gt's. I idle 39/40c with a vf900 at 1.5vmodded with low 50's during 3dMark06 according to coolbits on my EVGA 256-p2-n560-ax.

After researching NiBiTor...
http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/2069/37/1/1/
...are you positive all voltage values are reset? It seems that you can specify diff voltages for different loads.

I know how to apply AS5 and I know to re apply it when the HSF is removed. I have already done and and put a nice layer on it. Its not the contact...its the core itself. The mem pads are useless and dont contribute to the excessive core temp. As far as the voltages, its 1.2 on idle and 1.45 on load. I thought I remember reading somewhere that that is normal for the superclocked card. If I could get someone to confirm that with NiBiTor, that would be great. A volt meter to double check would also be helpful. The Co is just 1.2 all around.

I have the same problem. My 7900GT KO idles at 48 C and loads at around 84 C. Everything is stock except for the thermal paste. I cleaned off the paste that came with the card with AS Thermal Material Remover and Thermal Surface Purifier then applied Arctic Silver 5.

And running as a daily clock on my card, GPU 700mhz and memory 980. My idle tamps are at 30C right now with even much higher clocks and my load temps never exceed 53C. My card is the E-VGA 7900GT "reloaded" The cooling is completely stock. I just have a great supply of cool to very cold air running into my case via my radiator. That keeps everything very cool. This is one sweet card. It currently holds the Aquamark 3 world record for single 7900GT's.
aqmk3-1.jpg
The fact it has a Conroe pushing it is just gravy

allcool.jpg

WZ

WeldZilla said:
And running as a daily clock on my card, GPU 700mhz and memory 980. My idle tamps are at 30C right now with even much higher clocks and my load temps never exceed 53C. My card is the E-VGA 7900GT "reloaded" The cooling is completely stock. I just have a great supply of cool to very cold air running into my case via my radiator. That keeps everything very cool. This is one sweet card. It currently holds the Aquamark 3 world record for single 7900GT's.
The fact it has a Conroe pushing it is just gravy

WZ

Wait, why exactly did you post this? It has nothing to do with his problem. OP, you shouldnt be seeing such a high idle, if your sure its making good contact and you've tested with a volt meter then somethings really screwy.

DangerIsGo said:
I know how to apply AS5 and I know to re apply it when the HSF is removed. I have already done and and put a nice layer on it. Its not the contact...its the core itself. The mem pads are useless and dont contribute to the excessive core temp. As far as the voltages, its 1.2 on idle and 1.45 on load. I thought I remember reading somewhere that that is normal for the superclocked card. If I could get someone to confirm that with NiBiTor, that would be great. A volt meter to double check would also be helpful. The Co is just 1.2 all around.

I remember reading the same thing. This is likely normal. Plus, it seems like the voltage at least is operating stably. If it was jumping between the two or something else, then I would think that the vmod damaged the card.

Otherwise...I just don't know about the temps. Try calling the company or something, you might be able to get an RMA or atleast better advice.

Sorry so many people are confusing the issue, that kind of sucks :(

Most people don't get it right when they put a hsf on a vid card. If you give the one that came with the card a good ventilated case with good cool to cold air to use it would cool
itself sufficiently even at high clocks. I would say you are stuck with one card. you need to rma it and if they cover it great and if they do not it should be quite in expensive to fix.
Then sell it. When we buy this hardware and push it to it's limits we just have to expect this occasionally. There is no just do this and it will be fine answer to all problems.

Oh and someone, I believe buickgs asked if someone would post idle temps. Not sure what he was after but, I abliged him.

Wild, you have no idea how many times ive applied HSFs to chips, cards, etc.. it is not new to me.

Anyways, I feel the card is running too hot. Right now, its 67 on idle, and when I played q4 last night, it hit like 75ish. RTHDRIBL hit 80 (as did ATI tool) so I feel an RMA is in order and hopefully they will replace it with an updated series 79GTs. (I believe they are the N8xx)

Yeah, just tell them that it's idling really high, and loading close to 100'c... Even though you've got incredible case ventilation...

Taken from http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103890 ...
The biggest functional difference between the GT and GTX is that the GTX switches the Vgpu between 1.2 in 2D to 1.4 Volt in 3D.
Thats why the GTX can be clocked at 650 Mhz in 3D.
EVGA has their 7900GT-SS board with increased hardware in the volt mod area, which also enables the switching from 1.2 in 2D to 1.45 in 3D

Taken from http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=234166 ...
Most Vmod threads point out that the GPU is the same for both cards and nVidia just disabled the 7900GT by lowering the voltage to 1.2. There is another difference, however. The BIOS for the GTX and for some of the overclocked 7900GT cards switches between 1.2 for 2D and 1.4 or 1.45 for 3D. As most of the time we are in 2D, this will allow for a lower voltage for the majority of the GPU ontime. When we do the vmod, we don't get this switching and, consequently, we are at 1.4 or higher all the time.

It doesn't explain your temps, but it sounds as if your card may fall into these scenario?

I would just tell them on the rma form that the temps are excessive get the rma# ship it and offer no more than that much info. I am sure you will get a new one in the mail. And you can slide right past this. report back on the outcome.

WZ

Back