7900 GTX single card demolishes X1900 crossfire?

Jbirney said:
SLI/xfire/dual cards, ect this has to be done very very early in the design of the GPU and can not be just "slapped in". And since GPUs take years to design it will be awhile before you see this come out in a native solution from ATI. ATI was damed by people like you for not having a dual care solution and when they tried to "slap something in" they are damed by the same people because of its issues. So what could they do? They were dammed if the did, dammed if they didn't.

In no way I am saying your wrong for damming them nor am I say ATI was right. Just saying that these things take a LONG time to do right....
This is such a !!! comment its kinda funny. You are basically saying that nvidia is to blame for rushing ati to meet/match what they did. In the process they did a shitty job, by your own admission. If they came out with a good product there would be no argument. They were damned cause they couldn't make a good sli card... This is from someone running an x850xt.

I'm not going to read 5 pages to find out, but I suspect it has already been said. SLI did not appear without it's own share of problems and growing pains. Cross Fire will be the same way, and as it matures will be a viable competitor to SLI.

razor1 said:
edit: company using nV multiple gpu's

http://www.quantum3d.com/index.html. They have been using them for a long time. Started around or before the Fx series.

Ain't quantum3d just using normal quadro cards. Using 1 card in each unit and mounting a bunch of units in a rack. ie you should be able to even use a S3 virge card in there unit's.

This E&S radeon card looks more like a true multi gpu, looks a bit like the nv/dell cards, except this one got 2 gpus on each mother/daughter card

Spank said:
Ain't quantum3d just using normal quadro cards. Using 1 card in each unit and mounting a bunch of units in a rack. ie you should be able to even use a S3 virge card in there unit's.

This E&S radeon card looks more like a true multi gpu, looks a bit like the nv/dell cards, except this one got 2 gpus on each mother/daughter card

What did they do before there was SLi ;)? THey started multi GPU's with the Fx's

http://www.quantum3d.com/press/pdf/archive/pr_1-10-01.pdf

Most likely it was even before then, This PDF is in 2001 right after nV baught 3dfx.

drizzt81 said:
you just don't care, do you?

It is rather amsuing that people are now pissed at nVidia after their 'phantom edition', considering that nV was the company that actually hard-launched last summer. I guess people's memories are really short, or the supposed loyalty is only strong for a limited time.

You know...I have been waiting for my 7800 512MB since November...now my SLI nVidia motherboard just died.

Maybe it's a sign to tell me to buy the X1900XT and a crossfire board for the same total as the 7800GTX 512 costs by itself.

Hmmm..... I'm really trying to go nvidia but it just isn't working out.

im shure you would be happy woth either a 512 gtx or a next gen ati. the gtx's are still hard to get. evga has said that customers that still want a 512 gtx can get one in time or they can get a next gen card whene they are avaliable, regardless of the time it takes.

I don't think crossfire is going to get better unless they revamp it entirely to mimick SLi.

Until that happens xfire will be a fialure most likely like it is now.

Back on topic, Inq is stating with a stronger CPU X1900XT is scoring 13,500?

That's ahead of 7900 GTX, but wasn't X1800 ahead in 3dMark as well?

That sounds unrealistic to my common sense superhero powers.

I am more interested in the single 7900 that only had 500 less points than a X1900 crossfire (two cards).

Have to see what a fx-60 or x2 4800+ 2 gigs of ram and single cards do :).

It's remarkable 7900 alone supposedly barely beat 512 GTX SLI!

You would think SLI could do better gains over a single card, instead of almost none.

Back