7900 GTO now out for $250 - 7900 GTX in disguise?

Mine is working great so far, 101xx in 3dmark 05 default clocks on core and mem, this thing runs cooler and noticeably quiter than my evga 7800gt co, I'm only seeing 40 *c idle. Oblivion is so much smoother now with HDR now at 1280x1024.

HeavyH20 said:
Well, I am going to take apart my GTO tonight, hardware and BIOS. AS5, some better thermal pads, and BIOS check for proper delta, memory timings, performance profiles (make sure there are three), and fan speeds. Should have the GTO upped to a full fledged GTX by this evening. :)

Definite upgrade. IMHO, I would sell the 7800GTX while you can, get this card, and be able to use the EVGA 90 day Step Up to a G80. That will likely take a couple of months and in the mean time, you have a better card. Once the G80 hits, the price of the 7900 series will drop a bunch and the 7800 series may be harder to offload.

Man you've gotta post a workup of that after your all done, findings, etc... cant wait to read your report man!

Go get em!

Got my EVGA 7900GTO today :D

I'm having issues with my webhosting, will upload pics later.

I didn't take off the cooler to check the ram...but I have it overclocked to 675/1600 so far with absolutely no sweat! Pushing it higher right now...

Took off HSF and I have the Samsumg. These foamy thermal pads decentigrated when I took it off please HELP....too big a gap for acrtic silver.:( I may have just fusked two cards.

tightline said:
Took off HSF and I have the Samsumg. These foamy thermal pads decentigrated when I took it off please HELP....too big a gap for acrtic silver.:( I may have just fusked two cards.

your local computer store should carry some "shin-etsu" or something similar thermal pads, hopefully that'll be enough to make the contact you need.

tightline said:

From what I've seen sofar the GTOs all have 1.1ns samsung modules. Really tends to put credit to the rumours I heard that the GTO cards are in fact leftover first revision GTX cards that nVidia wants to be rid of. A great deal for sure but you definately want to be on the lookout for the 'creeping death' syndrome that plagued the early 7900 series cards with Samsung DDR modules.

Does anyone have instructions or a link to instructions on flashing the BIOS on these bad boys so they come up as GTX?

The DarkBlade said:
Does anyone have instructions or a link to instructions on flashing the BIOS on these bad boys so they come up as GTX?

This was for the 6800's but the principle is pretty much the same

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=801537

But you wanna goto our friends over at MVKTech.net and download the flash util of your choice ( I used nvflash on my 6800gt ) and also download the proper GTX bios for your vid card. Just make sure to save a copy of your old GTO bios on a floppy or something just in case you need to revert back in dos mode or something. Its also helpful to have a normal PCI vid card laying around for those times :D *sheepish grin*

diablo111 said:
Got my EVGA 7900GTO today :D

I'm having issues with my webhosting, will upload pics later.

I didn't take off the cooler to check the ram...but I have it overclocked to 675/1600 so far with absolutely no sweat! Pushing it higher right now...

Well, why flash the BIOS? I currently have it overclocked to 705/1600 no problems :D

EDIT>>>used Riva Tuner instead of coolbits...got it up to 705/1640
3dmark 2k5 = old 7800GT 7619
stock 7900GTO 9535
oc 705/1640 7800GTO 10148

Got pics uploaded...

gto1.JPG

gto2.JPG

gto3.JPG

gto4.JPG

gto6.JPG

gto7.JPG

diablo111, I find it interesting that your box says GTO. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I posted pic, where they just covered up GTX with a sticker that said GTO.

Where did yours come from? Mine came from MWAVE

The DarkBlade said:
diablo111, I find it interesting that your box says GTO. I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I posted pic, where they just covered up GTX with a sticker that said GTO.

Where did yours come from? Mine came from MWAVE

Mine also came from mwave...the box is actually printed w/GTO instead of a sticker (which I was expecting after seeing your pic). Evga part number is 512-P2-N573-AR.

SERIOUS SAM 2: All Maxed Out
Resolution: 1680 × 1050 (Custom)
Demo: Demo_0003.dem
Renderer: Direct3D
Quality: Maximum
Antialiasing: High
Anisotrophic filtering: 16×
HDR rendering: Enabled
Score = 51.3 FPS

gto8.jpg

What a sweet card, cant wait till the 6th, thats when the "big brown truck" drops mine off :D

Goddamn every time I see that GTX cooler I get a funny feeling in my pants... definately a sexy beast. :)

Blue Falcon said:
Goddamn every time I see that GTX cooler I get a funny feeling in my pants... definately a sexy beast. :)
I think we need a girlfriend ;)

Mtnduey said:
your local computer store should carry some "shin-etsu" or something similar thermal pads, hopefully that'll be enough to make the contact you need.

Use this thermal material for the memory. Works great.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant...&Product_Code=Frag&Category_Code=Overclocking

And, my card came in a box with GTO printed. No sticker. As for the card, it seems to be a little memory challenged. It doe snot reach 800 (790). Core is fine at 700, however. As for the BIOS, keep the version on the card. I tried the GTX version and it actually does not clock as well. The stock BIOS has 1.4V set for 3d and throttle with 1.3V for 2D. They still use the 50 Mhz delta, so it looks to be pretty much a GTX BIOS with the memory set at 660.

3DMark05 looks good at 11,200. That is on an AMD X2 4200+ at a nice easy 2.5 GHz (stock voltage). Looks to be a great value!

HeavyH20 said:
Use this thermal material for the memory. Works great.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant...&Product_Code=Frag&Category_Code=Overclocking

And, my card came in a box with GTO printed. No sticker. As for the card, it seems to be a little memory challenged. It doe snot reach 800 (790). Core is fine at 700, however. As for the BIOS, keep the version on the card. I tried the GTX version and it actually does not clock as well. The stock BIOS has 1.4V set for 3d and throttle with 1.3V for 2D. They still use the 50 Mhz delta, so it looks to be pretty much a GTX BIOS with the memory set at 660.

3DMark05 looks good at 11,200. That is on an AMD X2 4200+ at a nice easy 2.5 GHz (stock voltage). Looks to be a great value!

Check your memory voltage on your GTO. Mine reads 1.84v.............stock vmem for a GTX is 2.12v ;)

Another user on a Anand confirmed his was running lower vmem than stock GTX also. I'm sure they just cut back on voltage and clocks on the memory till they found a sweet spot where the samsung ram wouldn't go south. I'm keeping the original bios/voltage.

Yep, checked that. Just a tad under 1.9V. And, considering the problems with the original Samsung based GTX cards, keeping it lower is probably a very good idea. Definitely not complaining, however. Looks like they may have found a good way to stabilize this memory.

HeavyH20 said:
Definite upgrade. IMHO, I would sell the 7800GTX while you can, get this card, and be able to use the EVGA 90 day Step Up to a G80. That will likely take a couple of months and in the mean time, you have a better card. Once the G80 hits, the price of the 7900 series will drop a bunch and the 7800 series may be harder to offload.

That's what I'm doing. :D

Mine being in the different box, I will be interested to see how mine OCs comparatively. diablo111 if you would post how far yours OCs, I would be interested as well.

I'm still waiting for my PCI-E board, so I will post results tomorrow. UPS COULD have delivered it today, but I guess since it was shipped Ground it's not important enough.

One other item. The memory timings. Looks like they have tightened things up versus the GTX

timing-----------GTX-------GTO-------BJ11 ------ BC14
tRAS------------24-----------22----------25-----------22
tRC--------------34-----------31----------35-----------31
tRFC------------43-----------39----------45-----------39
tRCDR----------12-----------10----------12-----------10
tRCDW----------8-------------6------------8-------------6
tRP--------------10------------9-----------10-------------9
tRRD-------------8------------10-----------8-------------8

So, looks like 1.1 ns GDDR3 may be on there, but, since it only has the 1.4 ns spec voltage(1.7 min, 1.8 spec, 1.9 max) versus the 1.1 ns voltage(1.9 min, 2.0 spec, 2.1 max), the timings have been adjusted accordingly to 1.4 ns just like the GT cards.

Got mine today and I've had her running for the past 7-8 hrs. Perfect at stock and currently rock solid at 650/1600. I ran RTHDRIBL for about an hour and ATITool's artifact test for 4+ hours. No issues thus far and if something should happen, that's what my lifetime warranty and 3-month Step-Up are for :)

HeavyH20 said:
One other item. The memory timings. Looks like they have tightened things up versus the GTX

timing-----------GTX-------GTO-------BJ11 ------ BC14
tRAS------------24-----------22----------25-----------22
tRC--------------34-----------31----------35-----------31
tRFC------------43-----------39----------45-----------39
tRCDR----------12-----------10----------12-----------10
tRCDW----------8-------------6------------8-------------6
tRP--------------10------------9-----------10-------------9
tRRD-------------8------------10-----------8-------------8

So, looks like 1.1 ns GDDR3 may be on there, but, since it only has the 1.4 ns spec voltage(1.7 min, 1.8 spec, 1.9 max) versus the 1.1 ns voltage(1.9 min, 2.0 spec, 2.1 max), the timings have been adjusted accordingly to 1.4 ns just like the GT cards.
What program do you use to see these? I can't find memory voltage with NiBiTor, where is it hidden?

Well, looks like I found the sweet spot (max) @ 705/1660...its been running rthdribl (16x multisample) for over an hour...temp maxed out @ 65°C...I love this card :D

EDIT>>>
I also had it run this program, Video Card Stability Test, all night without issue. I also ran it's benchmark and got 3041 (highest score on their result website). :D

I just got my eVGA GTO up and running with water, so I am ready to OC it.

I was just wondering, what app do you guys use to OC?

Rivatuner reports my speeds to be 275/660 which seems a little weird, and ATItool did not recognize the card/any speeds at all..

Thanks

MC FLMJIG said:
275 is 2d . Look around it's in there.

duh! I'm a clown. Been using a laptop for three and a half months, forgot everything it seems.
thanks

diablo111 said:
Well, looks like I found the sweet spot (max) @ 705/1660...its been running rthdribl (16x multisample) for over an hour...temp maxed out @ 65°C...I love this card :D

EDIT>>>
I also had it run this program, Video Card Stability Test, all night without issue. I also ran it's benchmark and got 3041 (highest score on their result website). :D

I got 2963 on that test! My max OC is 690/816. Not bad at all...

EVGA’s e-GeForce 7900 GTO is without a doubt though, one of the best bang for the buck cards on the market right now. For about $250 you’re really getting an excellent card. As a result, awarding this card our Bull’s Eye Award was a no-brainer. EVGA’e e-GeForce 7900 GTO epitomizes what the Bull’s Eye Award is all about!

I think they liked it fine ;)

unimatrixzer0 said:
What exactly was wrong with the first revision of 7900GTX's? They'd suddenly die?

Well, there was some fall out with the Samsung based boards. EVGA created a new rev and pulled the Samsung based cards from the market. While the RMA rates were low (they claimed 2%), the bad press alone was damaging to which they reacted.

And, I am more impressed by the almost 4.0 Ghz E6600 :eek:

HeavyH20 said:
Well, there was some fall out with the Samsung based boards. EVGA created a new rev and pulled the Samsung based cards from the market. While the RMA rates were low (they claimed 2%), the bad press alone was damaging to which they reacted.

And, I am more impressed by the almost 4.0 Ghz E6600 :eek:

Oh yeah, what about this one...... [email protected] .... :eek: Not stable at all but just enough for CPUZ Validation.

nicepun > 750, that's 100MHz core OC. Pretty nice. Do anything special? Water cool?

EDIT: Wait, your CPU-Z says 1.213Vcore? That can't be right?!

nicepun said:
Oh yeah, what about this one...... [email protected] .... :eek: Not stable at all but just enough for CPUZ Validation.

Your 4.0 GHz is more impressive since it is benchmark stable. The suicide runs for CPUz are not as useful, but it makes a point on how well your CPU clocks. :)

HeavyH20 said:
Your 4.0 GHz is more impressive since it is benchmark stable. The suicide runs for CPUz are not as useful, but it makes a point on how well your CPU clocks. :)

Yes, indeed! The voltage might have to be increased by like 0.2 Volts in order to make it stable at that speed! Heck, you'd need some exotic liquid NO2 cooling for that!

Well I guess this is no longer a hot deal since ZZF and Newegg are OOS. Mwave has them but @ $319.99+ shipping and ChiefValue doesn't even have them in their inventory anymore.....D.A.M.N.

My GTO went in RMA due to memory failure. I dont think it even matters what they do with the samsung memory, it just fails on its own.

I sent my GTO off today for RMA. Things started off fine... even got a really nice overclock. Then things started to go bad... severe artifiacting in games, even older games like Jedi Academy and Sniper Elite. Then in Oblivion... lots of colored "snow" in Oblivion and sometimes the screen would just go black.

So, I'll get my replacement card in a few weeks - should I boot it up or use step-up to get a GTX or something else? I'm not sure I'm prepared for a 8800 yet.... would my Antec HE 550 be able to power that thing?

Back