7900 GTO now out for $250 - 7900 GTX in disguise?

Silus said:
As someone already said, 7950 GT has faster memory, plus they are HDCP ready. The 7900 GTO should be a full blown 7900 GTX, with slower memory and it's not HDCP ready, hence why it's cheaper.

You're actually wrong about that and I'm not quite sure where ppl keep getting that info. The reverse is true. The GTO actually has the faster memory (1.2ns), whereas the GT is using 1.4ns (NVIDIA's reference design is clocked at 700MHz exactly and 1.4ns is rated at ~715MHz).

Like I said, calling this card the deal of a lifetime is an understatement because you're getting a GTX (since 800MHz on the memory is within 1.2ns' max spec: 833MHz, you're pretty much guaranteed to hit it) for $250 (less if you've got a decent card to sell on eBay).

jcll2002 said:
i want to punch someone in the face when they say "oh, its obsolete." please, give me a break.

Lol, I don't think they mean obsolete in the traditional sense, but rather that the 7900 GT/X and 7950 GT are obsolete because no one in their right mind would buy one when you've got the GTO priced the way it is and almost guaranteed to hit GTX memory speeds.

I am almost 100% sure that the eVGA 7900 GT KO 512 MB version also uses the same chip as any 7900GTX's out there.

evga7900GTKO.jpg

Right now, I'm overclocking it at 650 MHz with stock voltage (although it cannot go any higher). With the stock single-slot cooler, this 7900GT reaches over 90 degrees Celsius under load at 620 MHz, so I had to slap a Zalman CNPS6000A CPU heatsink on this card in order to cool it down to 60 degrees and be able to overclock it to 650 MHz stable without any artifacting. There are two fans attached to a Zalman bracket, blowing directly across this beautiful flower heatsink.

The memory is also overclocked to 1600 MHz (could reach 1650 max., but it gets HOT!!!). I'd rather run it at just below the maximum for guaranteed stability and guaranteed artifact-free performance in *any* games that I might come across later on.

It seems that on one hand the voltage has been slightly decreased, or on the other hand, the chip was a "bad" 7900GTX that did not run at say, 690 MHz. Supposedly, I would guess that eVGA tests its cards at slightly higher clock speeds in order to ensure that they have some headroom (especially if it sells "overclocked" versions).

Thanks for the advice.

Just ordered a eVGA 7900GTO from ZZF for $259 inc. shipping. Once I get it set up with the DD waterblock, I will post my overclocking results.

Bo_Fox said:
I am almost 100% sure that the eVGA 7900 GT KO 512 MB version also uses the same chip as any 7900GTX's out there.

evga7900GTKO.jpg

Right now, I'm overclocking it at 650 MHz with stock voltage (although it cannot go any higher). With the stock single-slot cooler, this 7900GT reaches over 90 degrees Celsius under load at 620 MHz, so I had to slap a Zalman CNPS6000A CPU heatsink on this card in order to cool it down to 60 degrees and be able to overclock it to 650 MHz stable without any artifacting. There are two fans attached to a Zalman bracket, blowing directly across this beautiful flower heatsink.

The memory is also overclocked to 1600 MHz (could reach 1650 max., but it gets HOT!!!). I'd rather run it at just below the maximum for guaranteed stability and guaranteed artifact-free performance in *any* games that I might come across later on.

It seems that on one hand the voltage has been slightly decreased, or on the other hand, the chip was a "bad" 7900GTX that did not run at say, 690 MHz. Supposedly, I would guess that eVGA tests its cards at slightly higher clock speeds in order to ensure that they have some headroom (especially if it sells "overclocked" versions).

Thanks for that info. I've got the 256MB version, and a reviewer at newegg said they hit 680/1800 at stock voltage. This seems incredible to me. Do I have a 7900 GTX disguised as a 7900 GT? Link to card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130033

BTW, I bought mine for $244 w/rebate.

Ardrid said:
You're actually wrong about that and I'm not quite sure where ppl keep getting that info. The reverse is true. The GTO actually has the faster memory (1.2ns), whereas the GT is using 1.4ns (NVIDIA's reference design is clocked at 700MHz exactly and 1.4ns is rated at ~715MHz).

Like I said, calling this card the deal of a lifetime is an understatement because you're getting a GTX (since 800MHz on the memory is within 1.2ns' max spec: 833MHz, you're pretty much guaranteed to hit it) for $250 (less if you've got a decent card to sell on eBay).

I was wrong in saying the GT has faster memory, because they both have 1.4 ns memory. The GTO specs should be: core = 7900 GTX, memory = 7900 GT. So I doubt you'll reach 800 MHz with it.

Bo_Fox said:

evga7900GTKO.jpg

You're right about the KO. EVGA's spec sheet says they use memory at 1.2ns (same as the GTXs, though I believe the GTXs used 1.1ns at one point). The beauty about the GTO is that she's already clocked at 650MHz with a more than adequate cooler, so the only work that would have to be done is the memory and, again, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit 1600MHz like yours did.

Silus said:
I was wrong in saying the GT has faster memory, because they both have 1.4 ns memory. The GTO specs should be: core = 7900 GTX, memory = 7900 GT. So I doubt you'll reach 800 MHz with it.

You're still wrong GTO PDF says 1.2ns, same as GTX. Same HSF , same PCB.. Like I said these are GTX's that would'nt move.

Those who say deal of lifetime? close but we are getting near end of this product cycle.

Ayone kow how quiet fan is? Silent? Low RPM? I want two to replace GX2 that is noisy.

Silus said:

Ok, this is a cold, hard fact: the GTOs use 1.2ns memory. The 7900/7950 GTs use 1.4ns memory. Yes, the GTO, at stock, is clocked at GT memory speeds. But the actual memory on the board is rated at 1.2ns (800/1600MHz). Look at the spec sheets:

EVGA 7900 GT: http://evga.com/products/pdf/256-P2-N580.pdf ; 1.4ns (715MHz)
EVGA 7950 GT: http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N633.pdf ; 1.4ns (715MHz
EVGA 7900 GTO: http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N573.pdf ; 1.2ns (833MHz)

Tightline, from what I understand, the fan is extremely silent. I still would say this is a deal of a lifetime though, as I can't say I'm looking forward to DX10 cards given all the rumors :)

Grr.. Should I ditch my card and get one of those and go SLI in the future... Ugh..

Ardrid said:
Tightline, from what I understand, the fan is extremely silent. I still would say this is a deal of a lifetime though, as I can't say I'm looking forward to DX10 cards given all the rumors :)

Yeah but you could have had GTX type performance for 4 months now for $229AR on various 7900GT's with a vmod and OC. To me even though I never own one but saw many happy results this was deal of lifetime. I mean performing at GTX and XTX levels when those two were selling for $450+ for half the price.

tightline said:
Yeah but you could have had GTX type performance for 4 months now for $229AR on various 7900GT's with a vmod and OC. To me even though I never own one but saw many happy results this was deal of lifetime. I mean performing at GTX and XTX levels when those two were selling for $450+ for half the price.

True enough, but there's always the extra work needed in that case (and the fact that you may not get the speeds you want) and as I tend not to overclock, it wouldn't have been worth it to me. In this case, however, we're talking about a card that already has the GTX's core speed by default and is using memory rated at 833MHz. In my mind, I'm not overclocking since I'm simply bring the memory up to spec ;D. Saving $150 compared to what most GTXs are going for now doesn't hurt either.

In my mind, I'm not overclocking since I'm simply bring the memory up to spec ;D

haha I like way of thinking. :D Sorta like taking a 144 to FX57 right? I mean same chip just AMD underclocks 144 :p

I bet you can flash these to GTX ....so if you already have one GTX I'd be on the lookout for a cheap way to SLI them. I'm so tempted if you say they are very quiet...

:::Goes off to look at GX2 vs. GTX Sli benchmarks::::)

Cya

But Newegg lets me ship to my work address- too much of a hassle with ZZF and MWave. Wife still thinks I'm running a Pentium 3 ;)

hahahaa :p

I dont have that problem but would like to...they make you save right? Get rich?

Diseaseboy said:
But Newegg lets me ship to my work address- too much of a hassle with ZZF and MWave. Wife still thinks I'm running a Pentium 3 ;)

LMAO, you wuss!

*looks to see if girlfriend is around..*

She's gonna kill me when she finds out about that 7950GX2 I bought. :(

Blue Falcon said:
*looks to see if girlfriend is around..*

Need to find one of those too.. Oh well bring on the SLI GTOs:D

BTW DB, I live in my warehouse (small computer shop:p) so delivery is to work too you might say.

Ardrid said:
Ok, this is a cold, hard fact: the GTOs use 1.2ns memory. The 7900/7950 GTs use 1.4ns memory. Yes, the GTO, at stock, is clocked at GT memory speeds. But the actual memory on the board is rated at 1.2ns (800/1600MHz). Look at the spec sheets:

EVGA 7900 GT: http://evga.com/products/pdf/256-P2-N580.pdf ; 1.4ns (715MHz)
EVGA 7950 GT: http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N633.pdf ; 1.4ns (715MHz
EVGA 7900 GTO: http://evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N573.pdf ; 1.2ns (833MHz)

Ok, then it seems I was wrong. I read about the 1.4 ns in a couple of sites. Guess it was not true afterall.
Then it is an even better deal. It's a 7900 GTX in disguise, no doubt.

Just ordered a 7900 GTO from Mwave ($267.23 2nd day air)...Going to use it to replace my 7800GT.

Diseaseboy said:

You rock, I'm not the only one.

Seems like previous poster is on the $. Seems like you MAY be able to flash these as the bios is NOT locked... we'll see. 7900GTX!

Silus said:
Ok, then it seems I was wrong. I read about the 1.4 ns in a couple of sites. Guess it was not true afterall.
Then it is an even better deal. It's a 7900 GTX in disguise, no doubt.

Yup, definitely a good deal. There are actually some MSI GTOs using 1.1ns, which is even scarier :)

MC FLMJIG said:
Yup. They CAN be flashed to GTX on bios.

Would be nice to see if someone can get a flashed GTO and a standard GTX running in SLI.

Would definately be worth an upgrade for me then :)

These are just like the 6800 LE cards they released in that generation. It was simply a failed 6800U they downclocked. So, the 7900GTO is intended to be a GTX but does not make the grade. Usually from bad memory. So, underclock the memory and you have a "new" product. Makes for a great deal.

Woot just got my e-mail confirmation from Zipzoomfly ! My new 7900 GTO is packed and ready to be shipped ! :)

Hmm... I am really thinking about getting this... (for possible SLI in the future)

Though I'm not sure - how much power do these consume compared to a x1900xt?

x1900xt is a beast and perhaps the most power hungry single core graphics card out there...

according to xbitlabs

cons_premium.gif

cons_hiend.gif

uniwarp said:
x1900xt is a beast and perhaps the most power hungry single core graphics card out there...

according to xbitlabs

cons_premium.gif

cons_hiend.gif

This is one of the reasons I didn't buy one. The other reason was that in most games, even a slightly overclocked 7900 GT beats it. The HDR+AA argument is valid for the x1900xt, but few games use it and it does take a performance hit.

Right now I'd get the 7900 GTO because it's a steal.

blade52x said:
Hmm... I am really thinking about getting this... (for possible SLI in the future)

Remember, this is a limited release, not a normal product offering. So, SLI in the future will likely mean picking up a new or used 7900 GTX.

Back