785 chipset questions

SlowCobra

Limp Gawd
So my dinosaur 939 system just isn't cutting it for a HTPC and I am looking at upgrading to something a little more modern. With that said I have been strongly considering one of the boards with a 785 chipset.

From my reading/searching I understand that it does not perform 7.1 LPCM. Is that the only issue with it? I believe it is still capable of 5.1 correct? I was looking to pair the board with most likely a 240 or 245 processor as I feel the dual core should be plenty powerful and well that seems to be the processor of choice for HTPC. Is there an issue with BD playback? Or does it merely fall back on the 7.1 sound issue?

Check out this thread on avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1093445

The 780g/785g mobos are roughly equivalent, so no 5.1. You need to use a 8200 chip set board or a discrete vid card if you want 5.1/7.1 and an AMD cpu.

9300 chip set or a ati 4350/4550/4670 are the best options unless you want to throw down for a 5750/5770 or problematic and expensive sound card (Xonar).

It doesn't do anything other then 2.0 audio over HDMI. If you're using HDMI and want something more then "stereo sound" then don't bother with an AMD chipset.

Either way, NV's 8000 series is much better anyways so that's what you should be using until AMD gets their head out of their ass and update their IGP to something that would be considered "modern."

Back