7820x Delidding Results...

TahoeDust

Limp Gawd
Silicon Lottery did the work. The Turnaround was 1 day and the chip looks completely stock.

Before:

4.7GHz @ 1.234v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 81c.

ACEMTo8.png

After:

4.7GHz @ 1.237v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 70c....an 11c loss.

SHpJzBN.jpg

The extra headroom let me move to this as my 24/7 overclock. 4.8GHz @ 1.285v - Realbench 2hr run gave a max temp of 81c. Previously 4.8GHz took a bit more voltage and was well into the 90s.

AV9aIJ9.jpg

What TIM are they using? The difference isn't earth shattering as some would like us to believe, but i'm guessing it depends from CPU to CPU.

Awesome, I get my delidded 7800x @ 4.9 from SL tomorrow :)

Wow, really kinda puts to rest some of the things that people have been sayin about sky-lake X. Seems that temps, with a decent overclock, even w/out delidding are actually pretty decent. Grats on 4.8Ghz stable

Thanks. It was $80 and their turn around time was 1 day. There and back in 7 days.

Now I know each person might answer differently, but do you think it was worth it/would you do it again?

And what is the downside of having this performed? I suppose the warranty is void?

Now I know each person might answer differently, but do you think it was worth it/would you do it again?

And what is the downside of having this performed? I suppose the warranty is void?
I'd like to know this too.

I'd like to know this too.

Yes, I would do it again. I am an enthusiast and if I did not do it, I would always wonder the difference it would make. The extra 100-200MHz does not sound like much, but In the context of a $3500+ machine, $80 is not a huge expense.

Yes, I would do it again. I am an enthusiast and if I did not do it, I would always wonder the difference it would make. The extra 100-200MHz does not sound like much, but In the context of a $3500+ machine, $80 is not a huge expense.

Good point.

Could you address the warranty? Does Silicon Lottery issue one equivalent to Intel?

At this point do you guys even want Intel to start resoldering their IHS?

Reports coming out that the new 12-18 core chips are not soldered either.

I kinda feel like if they did start doing it again people would be mad that they can't pop the top off.

At this point do you guys even want Intel to start resoldering their IHS?

Reports coming out that the new 12-18 core chips are not soldered either.

I kinda feel like if they did start doing it again people would be mad that they can't pop the top off.

Sorry that doesn't make any sense. If they soldered it in the first place, wtf would anyone want to take off the lid/top then?

Sorry that doesn't make any sense. If they soldered it in the first place, wtf would anyone want to take off the lid/top then?
For the same reason that enthusiast do a lot of other crazy and unnecessary things because it's their hobby?

For the same reason that enthusiast do a lot of other crazy and unnecessary things because it's their hobby?

Delidding and relidding only became a thing because of the switch to TIM from solder. If it were soldered, there's no point to delidding, etc. Delidding a soldered cpu is redundant and cpu killing.

Delidding and relidding only became a thing because of the switch to TIM from solder. If it were soldered, there's no point to delidding, etc. Delidding a soldered cpu is redundant and cpu killing.
Totally agree. I only asked because I am sure there are some people that like doing it and would want to continue.

No Intel chip, no matter cost is soldered and wont be anymore. And a few years from now, expect the same for AMD. They already dabble on APUs with solder and no solder to test it out in the field.

And enthusiasts would delid soldered parts just as they did in the past because it still improves the heat transfer.

You think enthusiasts would be happy for TIM due to easy delid. And everyone else happy for TIM due to no sudden inferno because the solder cracked due to thermal cycling and longer lifespan.

I think The issue of solder vs TIM would get a lot less traction if the factory goop performed closer to the good aftermarket choices.

Costs money, I know, but seems like it would be a good perk of a K model, or i9.

I think The issue of solder vs TIM would get a lot less traction if the factory goop performed closer to the good aftermarket choices.

Costs money, I know, but seems like it would be a good perk of a K model, or i9.

The TIM has been tested, its quite high quality.

What you in reality complain about is the gap.

I will keep my nicely soldered cpu for a while.
Sucks there isn't something that I can justify upgrading too. :(
Seeing the temperature results of solder vs paste, I like solder better.

Wow, really kinda puts to rest some of the things that people have been sayin about sky-lake X. Seems that temps, with a decent overclock, even w/out delidding are actually pretty decent. Grats on 4.8Ghz stable
Those are terrible temps for a RealBench load.

Those are terrible temps for a RealBench load.
Compared to what other 8 core at 4.7Ghz+? The newest version of realbench with AVX runs pretty hot.

How about 12 hours of Prime95

Without AVX...
20m4ToY.jpg

With AVX...
dLLjgxt.jpg

Do you think it is easy to shed the heat from the 260w-290w it takes to push that many cores that fast?

My reply was to pre-delidding temps.

Regarding the above, 3C cooler with AVX? That doesn't make sense.

Not really comparable then. And still high temps in both cases compared to previous soldered CPUs.
What previous soldered CPU that runs 4.8GHz on 8 cores non AVX or 4.3GHz AVX are you comparing it to?

I'm comparing it to 3930K that uses more power and heats less.
So a 6 year old 6 core 32nm processor....ok. Well, I guess all those 3930k owners out there can enjoy their cooler temps. I guess I can deal with the fact that my nearly 80% higher performance does not come free...thermally speaking.

So a 6 year old 6 core 32nm processor....ok. Well, I guess all those 3930k owners out there can enjoy their cooler temps. I guess I can deal with the fact that my nearly 80% higher performance does not come free...thermally speaking.
New Intel CPUs have shitty thermals, why is it so hard to accept that?

Either that or you paid $80 to fix a non existent problem.

Either that or you paid $80 to fix a non existent problem.
I spent $80 out of curiousity, and because I am an enthusiast and wanted to know what was possible. Ofcourse solder would be ideal. That is just common sense.

However, to say that a 8 core CPU capable of 4.7GHz at a safe temp has "shitty thermals" is just ignorant.

185W for 81C in RealBench with your cooler is bad, sorry. The clocks are good and so is the performance, but the temps are bad.

Btw you're not reporting the correct voltages for your OCs.

Back