780ti with an AMD processor ......wtf happened?!

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Well kinda :)

AAicGDh.jpg

Got bored and had an excess of zip ties lying around today. Found a factory AIO cooler from a buddies amd fx bulldoser something or other, tossed em in a bag, shook thoroughly, and ta-da. This happened.

Card originally is a reference evga sc. Running in sli, this is my bottom card, with the factory fan at 100% would typically idle at 45c and top out at 80-90c depending on the benchmark or extended gaming session. Takes 1.165v to get it to 1150mhz.

With the AMD factory liquid cooler, idle is ambient (30ish) load temps so far are staying under 50c.

I didn't want to cut up my stock cooler...but to retain the onboard fan for vrm and choke cooling i'll probably have to... so instead I slapped on an old msi twin frozr "heatsink" for now to see how it functioned.

Long story short it gets friggin hot. choke area and pcb gets to around 75c-80c. No artifacts or instability tho, and the gpu stays MUCH cooler than the factory sink. Much quieter as well.

But, final result is I will need to provide a little active cooling for the pcb in order for me to feel comfortable running it like I normally would. Guess the factory heatsink will be going under the knife!

*edit* amd stuff

Last edited:
F7vCwpt.jpg

Leet zip tie work. Will probably require "re-torquing" after the "break in procedure"

Graphs of temp differences during a firestrike run (1440)

Other 780ti has fan set to 100

Later today i'll get it less ghettorific, can make the stock heatsink work along with the aio I do believe.

i4hCYe9.jpg

Later today i'll get it less ghettorific

Blasphemy sir! I wouldn't touch a thing. Embrace the ghetto. After the first time I hacked semi-round fan holes in the side of my case with sheet metal snips I never looked back.

Blasphemy sir! I wouldn't touch a thing. Embrace the ghetto. After the first time I hacked semi-round fan holes in the side of my case with sheet metal snips I never looked back.

Yeah, use a case fan and more zip ties.

Indeed. I've been cutting up cases since the amd duron days, 120v wall outlet foot operated case fan switches and all kinda supah-fly mods.

Bout done modding the factory cooler to incorporate this cooler inside it. Gunna stick with the zip-tie attachment for right now until I can fab up a "proper" mount system for it.

Anyway it will be funny to see the "UNLOCKED FX PROCESSOR AMD" lit up in red under the 780ti cooler :)

Well, funny to like, us.

Not sure if this thread needs to be moved to the "hold my beer and watch this" section or not. Guess it depends on if I manage to destroy this original $700 card in the quest to save $50 on a store bought adapter :D

Oh, and BTW there are a metric fuck-ton of fasteners on these cards when you strip the cooler into all its parts. Seems like more than most entire laptops I have dissected!

With a chop chop here and a little file work there I was able to reattach the factory cooler around the aio.

*edit too stupid for pics atm, one sec *

zP9Ax7N.jpg

nooTh3S.jpg

Just need to complete the wiring hiding now.... pcb temps under control again and life is good, cept for the poor zip ties killed in the making of this production.

Last edited:
Back