780ti - output 4K@60hz into HDMI 2.0 port?

spine

2[H]4U
Hi,

Hopefully someone can answer this for me please...

I'm looking to buy a Vizio P series TV in the next few months, which can do proper 4K@60hz, but only has an HDMI 2.0 port for this purpose.

As my 780ti only has an HDMI 1.4 output, is it possible to use an adapter to take either a displayport signal, or dual DVI, and convert it into an hdmi2.0 compatible stream?

I know physically there's no difference between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0, but can a Dual DVI or displayport signal be readily converted to HDMI 2.0 spec, or does the graphics card necessarily need 'whatever' onboard to make it possible?

Any replies welcome, thanks. :cool:

780Ti can do 4K@60hz w/4:2:0 color, that fits in HDMI1.4 bandwidth.
780Ti cannot do 4K@60hz w/4:4:4 color, you need the added bandwidth of HDMI2.0 for that.
Vizio P Series can do 4K@60hz w/4:2:0.
Vizio P Series CANNOT do 4K@60hz w/4:4:4 color, so its a big turd.

You can either settle for 4:2:0 color, which sucks, and use 780Ti + P Series.
Or you can use 780 Ti and instead get some display that uses DP2.0 and don't bother with HDMI.
Or you can sell 780 Ti, get a 970/980, and don't buy a P Series and instead wait until someone releases a non turdy TV.

But you will not be able to get your 780Ti to output 4K@60hz w/4:4:4 color and connect it to a TV that only has HDMI.

See here for search for TVs that'll do 4K@60hz w/4:4:4 color:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1837209

Fingers crossed Seiki's new TV's will be perfect.

It could do 4k 60p, but at 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. Unfortunately, this would be true even with a 900 Series due to the hardware in the Vizio P-series. There is a low if not impossible probably that a firmware update to the TV could rectify this. Maybe you should wait for Vizio's Reference series, or something else. Right now, the Vizio P-series gives the best picture for the money, but not made for use as a computer monitor. Where as all the 4K TV's that could do 4K 60p 4:4:4 are evidently horrible in terms of picture quality or really expensive.

Wow, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. :)

I'd just assumed the P series would be 4:4:4 given the gaming features it has (low latency, game mode etc), guess not. Well, scratch that then.

Glad I posted this; thought I'd finally come across a decent gaming 4K screen. Oh well, back to waiting again then. CES 2015 only 3 months away...

Wow, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. :)

I'd just assumed the P series would be 4:4:4 given the gaming features it has (low latency, game mode etc), guess not. Well, scratch that then.

Glad I posted this; thought I'd finally come across a decent gaming 4K screen. Oh well, back to waiting again then. CES 2015 only 3 months away...

Yeah... I was so disappointed with this.... It would have been great had it supported 4:4:4. It had incredibly good input lag and did 120Hz @ 1080p too though. With my CRT testing it was <10ms of input lag @ 1080p@120hz.

Back