780ti or wait till 800?

AZBOOSTIN

Gawd
I am about to pull the trigger on a new system and planning on getting quad 780 ti's, I would hate to order these and then in 3 days the new stuff be out... any hints on the new products?

I am about to pull the trigger on a new system and planning on getting quad 780 ti's, I would hate to order these and then in 3 days the new stuff be out... any hints on the new products?

I certainly hope you have a ludicrous amount of CPU to support that setup, 4-way scaling isn't exactly great in a lot of games.

Proper GM200 cores probably won't be around for at least another 7 months if not more.

the fastest cpu doesn't seem fast enough ;) but I have always wanted to build a dream machine have the funds to do it so why not....

btw its either 2x e5 2687's or a single 4960x

the machine is doing a LOT more than gaming...

quad 780TI its worthless IMHO, the max potential in fact will be in tri-SLI with a 4960X. i would not use 2X 2687 for gaming, worthless again.. go with 4960X and tri-SLI 780TI and use the leftover money in a good custom watercooling setup and overclock the hell out of those 780TI and 4960X and thats it you got a dream machine.. =D. and sorry i have to ask, at what resolution will you be playing? I could guess 2560x1600 Surround or 4k to require such a high power?

That questions been asked often and most recently here. Short version appears to be no, there's no hard news or even semi-plausible leaks regarding any release within the next few months. Beyond that it becomes more hazy but the overall feeling still seems to be not to expect high end Maxwell dropping within the next six months if not longer. Its not a great answer but outside of Nvidia, and possibly AMD due to potential industrial espionage, no one has a firm schedule for the next release.

If you're gonna run 4x780Ti's you would be better off with 3xTitan blacks for the same money. (I am assuming you are playing at 5760x1080 or 4k)

and your original question-Buy now, its pretty safe to assume there won't be 880's till summer at the earliest.

As someone with 3 290x cards, what exactly are you playing that you think you need 4 780ti for? I have 3x1440 screens and I already feel my setup is overkill.

And my 290x cards didn't cost 800+ each like the Ti will.

Definitely wait. Right now the 780 Ti is only on par with AMD's 290x. The 800 will probably blow both cards out of the water. Or at least by a 30% margin, which is expected of new platform/generation gpus.

PS Quad Scaling has always been awful whether it's NVidia or AMD. I don't know if that 4th GPU even gets you 10% more overall performance improvement due to latency issues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I were to be going for a Nvidia card I would hold off until the next gen and then put away a few more each week so I could get 2x :) . I definitely would personally be holding off until the MSI Lightning variant came out :) - I just got the 290X Lightning in today :)

I don't think the GTX 800 release is imminent. My guess is September or so, that is my guess and i'm sticking with that. NV stated at their financial results press event that new consumer geforce cards (800 series) would arrive 2nd half of this year. Who knows when specifically, though. Shrug.

Anyway, you have two options. Buy a mid range card to tide you over and resell it, or just get a 780ti. There's really no sense in waiting on the next best thing; there's ALWAYS something just around the corner. You can rest assured if you buy a GTX 880 in september, assuming they're released (i'm just using this as a hypothetical example) then the next year will have the release of the GTX 900 series. My main point here is that new tech is always around corner, it's the never ending cycle. But if it REALLY bothers you, then you can just simply get a good mid range card or perhaps a GTX 780 overclocked. The 780 custom cards are quite good bang for the buck and overclock / scale incredibly well. It's all up to you, your money - spend it how you wish.

This is a good question. The solution is somewhat simple for me though.

This is because I never get the 'base' model of any card (except Titan of course - even that, I have Titan SC).

The "best" version (aka Classified or Titan version) of the 800 series won't come out until around this time next year, maybe later. With so many variants of a single lineup being made and churned out, it is actually best to wait until the tail-end of that series before jumping in IMO.

IF you are water cooling AND playing at 4K resolution or LESS, then get 4x GTX-780 Ti Classified and OC the hell out of them.

IF you are air cooling AND playing at MORE than 4K resolution (1440P/1600P/2160P Surround), then get 4x GTX-Titans and call it a day.

If you're buying 4 GPUs, don't go for the base model 780 Ti, get the Classified as long as you will be water-cooling. The over-volt tool can help you slam the GPUs with more than 1.35V 24/7 and probably get around 1400Mhz across all 4 GPUs! o_0 Now, THAT would be incredible.

My 4x GTX-Titan (SC) are @ 1.212V and so I just do a pretty good 1202Mhz and +350Mhz on the Mem. Of course, I'm playing at 4K Surround (25MP) so no 780 Ti can handle it. :)

Dat VRAM! NEED MOAR! :p

Back