780ti and 3 asus vg248qe displays....

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
So all my friends are ditching their 144hz displays in favor of higher res and better color, so as of this weekend ill have 3 of these asus displays for surround.

Anyone driving 3 of these for gaming with a single 780ti? Obviously i'll be down on framerate for what I am used to...anyone have thoughts to share about gaming with this setup? Portrait or landscape? Will my computer catch fire?

Screwed around with some of my missmatched monitors and dual monitor gaming but the bezel right in the middle of the screen is just not going to work....

My single r9 290 played everything just fine at decent settings 5760x1200. You' wont be taking advantage of the 144hz but fps should be playable in just about anything.

I would add another 780ti or maybe consider an upgrade if you are going to try to actually take advantage of those monitors.

Yup. thats the idea. Getting the monitors for next to nothing, just going to have to find a matching 780ti sc for what i'd consider reasonable.... (under $400 )...

vram take much of a hit with that res?

Last edited:
I used to run 3240x1920 Portrait Surround @ 144 Hz with those monitors on a single 780ti and it is doable (~1300 MHz core 7.5 GHz memory). I've only done portrait but given the VG248QE panels are TN it may be best to use landscape for the color (which is partially why I got rid of them, mostly due to Nvidia drivers). I just never had the desk space for landscape (least not at that time) and only used portrait but it's entirely personal choice.

Dual monitor gaming seems weird to me unless it was like World in Conflict where one screen is everything and the 2nd is just a map to see how things are going and incoming air drops. As far as frames go you can probably still do upwards of high settings or better. I ran BF3 no problem and Skyrim (not mod heavy though). Shadow of Mordor may be an interesting title to try through, at 1440p I can easily use all my vram in that game.

I never monitored it to be honest since I never had any performance issues. I added a second card because used prices crashed and it was dirt cheap but didn't really have any reason to.

Small update, old news for most folks I suppose...

Running 3 of these now at 5760 x 1080 on my 780ti.... haven't played a whole bunch of games with it yet but a few comments and thoughts....

Far Cry 4 at the same mostly max settings gets between 30-40 fps now compared to the 50-70 I was getting the first time I played it with a single display (1920 x 1080 ).... yet it is consistant and smooth enough to play without it really bothering me. Previously was seeing 2.2 to 2.6 ish vram usage, now, its basically using every last friggin bit of vram on the card it can find.

Card is around 5c hotter now as well..... this is with the factory original evga reference cooler.

Having some issues with EVGA precision showing up on my 4th monitor I have connected to the HDMI port....seems windows 8.1 can't figure out what window and position its supposed to be at....little annoying but im sure I can get it working.

Playing Dying Light now, but my FPS overlay doesnt seem to work, so not sure about framerate yet. Does seem to be smooth enough to play without irritation but once again VRAM is seriously pegged.

Strange getting used to this setup.... was almost a little motion sick for the first time in 30 years of playing video games! Think I need to push it all back another 6 inches....

Webpages are just flat dumb looking stretched across all three of these.... lol surprise....

Feel like I might be getting face cancer at a slightly quicker rate with all these pixels staring at me now.

Oh and judging by the pegged VRAM I am seeing, I am curious exactly how that is effecting my framerate......? Any idea if adding another 780ti will be silly as compared to trying to find a somewhat similar card with 4gig or more of ram?

Back