780G Chipset HDMI Audio out question

oplin

Gawd
Does this chipset or for that matter any mobo that has hdmi output that sends the audio out do it for any music you play on the computer, mp3's, divx etc? I know they all just redirect or loop back a PCM signal but just curious as i'm looking on how to setup my home theater system. What would be a good mobo to get? Looking for just 720p graphics and simple sound output. Mainly going to be playing divx, mp3's and video streaming from the computer to the tv for now, no dvr or anything like that yet.

Thanks,

Is the audio going to be coming from the TV speakers or do you have a setup for audio as well?

On the 780G and ATI video cards you can do what you describe. The HDMI audio just installs and appears as another normal audio device and you could just set it as your default and all sound would go through there just like a normal sound card.

Going to be using a receiver to do audio, tv speakers won't be used at all. Wasn't sure though if it'd use the hdmi input to the receiver and then to the tv. Or run everything to the tv and do tv out to the receiver that is still up in the air. Boss seems to think everything to the tv and then tv audio out (rca/coaxial) be easiest option.

Abit667 - Thanks that was what i was looking for. Just wanted to make sure i didn't need a pcm audio source for it to play like a dvd or blu ray disk. I've had trouble before getting regular audio to go out of the coaxial out on older mobo's was hoping that has changed. Thanks.

Depends on what receiver you have (?) Do you have a newer receiver that processes hdmi audio+video, or is it just pass-thru hdmi ?

If you have one of these newer-better receivers then technically you should route everything to the HT receiver first. The TV should be left out of the audio equation whenever possible imho.

That's my thought, always keep the tv out of the picture and hook directly to the receiver. Currently have an older one without hdmi on it so my option would be hooking hdmi into tv and output from tv to receiver which seems like i should just route the video to the tv and the audio directly to the receiver, it doesn't bother me having to change the inputs to what they need to be on each one but it drives the gf nuts.

Back