7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

While the 4090 does feel like a mighty leap over the previous gen cards, I think the current crop of new releases have hampered that. Too many games are getting released in a state where even a 4090 stutters or runs them like trash. Plus, with the vast majority of titles, the 3090 could already run them cranked at 4K/100+ FPS, especially with DLSS. It absolutely shines with some titles, but the gaming landscape is holding everything back.
It could be, as well, that my previous platform was somehow holding back my 3090 a little, which is why I’m seeing such a spike.

That said, I wish I’d built this new PC earlier. I thought my previous system was doing just fine - but actually it wasn’t, and I’m only seeing that now.

Work gets crazy, the yard needs way to much attention, it's golf season... the computer sits idle for a week and I miss 5 pages of great info. What can ya do :p

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences! [H] is the best.

I finally got around to installing BIOS 1616 today after work (up from the Beta 1602 from a few weeks ago) and so far no funny business to report. SOC hasn't hit above 1.243, but I haven't done much today other then installing my Wither3 mods once again (while repurposing the old 7700k into an HTPC).

About to fire RDR2 up and see how things run.

That is about the same as what I'm seeing with the NZXT Kraken X72, which is also an AIO with a 360mm radiator. I was worried that I didn't install the AM5 bracket correctly since the instructions were extremely vague. Asetek designed the post offsets to work for both AM4 and AM5, and you need to figure out if the end with the ridges point up or down. I was going to remount it this weekend to check what the thermal past contact patch looked like on the pump. It is typically running around the mid-70s while gaming, but I've seen spikes to 83. After turning the pump on performance mode, idle fell from the low-40s to the mid-30s. Radiator fans are still using the balanced profile based on liquid temperature and sit around 900-1000 RPM, which is pretty quiet still.

I'll echo what Armenius and others have said, I'm idling right at 36*C. I maybe have noticed a few *C drop BIOS to BIOS, but that's negligible. Max boost I've seen across all cores today is 5050MHz, but that might change shortly once I get into an actual workload of sorts.

I also received horrible instructions with my H150i Pro XT, and I always second guess my paste-jobs despite God knows how many I've done lol. Temps certainly seem within a few *C of everyone else, and I'm on a 360mm Rad too.

In the BIOS, I changed:
  • Memory profile to EXPO II
  • SOC voltage to 1.225V
  • Disable Armory Crate
  • Disable onboard video
  • Disable onboard audio (I have a Sound Blaster add-in card)
  • Boot OS to Windows
I believe that was it.

Probably late now, but I would disable the automatic driver updates in Windows before connecting online.

I'm now mostly in line with the above list, other then the SOC voltage and onboard audio being disabled (no card for me at this time). This weekend isn't looking good for tinkering either, but I do want to see if I can get a hard cap on SOC voltage set.

EDIT: SOC hasn't gone over 1.243 still, and after playing RDR2 and Witcher 3 for a bit now (after sorting out my mods for DX12, and going through the enable/disable mod roulette), I'm graphically but not financially semi-regretting my decision to withhold on the 4k series this round...

I'm a huge W3 fan, and the smooth AF swordplay on UWQHD DX11 + mods on the 2080Ti, vs the same res on the 3080 DX12 + next gen (minimal RT) + a few remaining mods that still work mode... It looks so good now, but I don't like the 30-50fps cut. I want both and didn't spring for both, it is what it is. I'm jealous of ya'll that overhauled both.

What is crazy though is the COMPLETE lack of FPS swings and such (even in Saint Denis in RDR2). On the old 7700k I'd see 10fps swing just riding through the "same" area, and now it might move 1 fps. Averages and lows + 1% lows are basically the same on the 7800x3d, it's awesome.

Last edited:
Finally playing Quantum Break maxed out in 4K at 120 FPS. All it took was seven years and two fully upgraded PCs to get there.

What a game, though.

I totally forgot about that game, and it looks to be on Gamepass now, too. I'm going to have to give it a shot!

I totally forgot about that game, and it looks to be on Gamepass now, too. I'm going to have to give it a shot!
Make sure you turn off Upscaling, which blurs the image.

Some people loved this game, some hated it. I was fascinated by the atmosphere and the characters - and, for once, I actually enjoyed the story.

Technically, I always thought this game was ahead of its time - but it was so demanding on my hardware I was never able to enjoy it fully.

Let me know what you think of the graphics. Personally, I think this game does not look like it’s seven years old.

Last edited:
Make sure you turn off Upscaling, which blurs the image.

Some people loved this game, some hated it. I was fascinated by the atmosphere and the characters - and, for once, I actually enjoyed the story.

Technically, I always thought this game was ahead of its time - but it was so demanding on my hardware I was never able to enjoy it fully.

Let me know what you think of the graphics. Personally, I think this game does not look like it’s seven years old.

I remember playing that game on a 980 Ti and couldn't get 60fps at 1080p with maxed settings. To be able to do that at 120fps at 4K now just seems mind blowing to me.

So I'm seeing some weird behavior with this chip, I was trying to play Cyberpunk 2077 on it and it was stuttering really bad when loading. For example, when the game starts the splash screen thing takes about 10 seconds, and I would see maybe 4 frames of it during that time instead of a smooth animation like on my other machines.

I was suspicious of the RAM because its an Intel XMP kit, so I left the main timings alone and tuned the sub-timings to some generic Ryzen 7000 settings for A-die and it completely fixed the problem. Smooth as butter now. I do not know if non-3D chips do the same thing.

Attachments

• 78800X3D.png
    78800X3D.png
    797.7 KB · Views: 1
So I'm seeing some weird behavior with this chip, I was trying to play Cyberpunk 2077 on it and it was stuttering really bad when loading. For example, when the game starts the splash screen thing takes about 10 seconds, and I would see maybe 4 frames of it during that time instead of a smooth animation like on my other machines.

I was suspicious of the RAM because its an Intel XMP kit, so I left the main timings alone and tuned the sub-timings to some generic Ryzen 7000 settings for A-die and it completely fixed the problem. Smooth as butter now. I do not know if non-3D chips do the same thing.

I think it's a CP thing, mine does the same thing on a different platform (see sig). Once loaded it all works fine, it's just the splash screen that's messed up.

I saw this on a test run of cp 2077 as well. It was weird but it all smoothed out once in game. Suspect it's a game thing. I'd have to copy cp 2077 to a hdd and try it on my 5800x3d box to see if this is the case but I'm lazy about it.

I saw this on a test run of cp 2077 as well. It was weird but it all smoothed out once in game. Suspect it's a game thing. I'd have to copy cp 2077 to a hdd and try it on my 5800x3d box to see if this is the case but I'm lazy about it.

I have 3 rigs here besides the 7800X3D one including an old 1800X and none of them exhibit that behavior (plus I've played like 600 hours of CP2077 lol). I really think it was the XMP profile because it eventually would crash, but once I changed the sub-timings it smoothed right out. I bought a second cheap 32GB M-die kit to test it with, it just showed up a few minutes ago actually.

TF2 does this because it post-loads the sound files. So yeah a game engine post loading.. whatever.

OK I think have confirmed an actual bad stick of RAM in this Gskill kit, its not a problem with the CPU. Wanting to play with overclocking some DDR5 on my own rig, I picked up a Z790 DDR5 board and some cheap Teamgroup 6000mhz sticks which I think are M-dies. Well I wanted to compare to the 6000mhz A-die Gskill kit in my buddies 7800X3D rig so I moved them to my 13900K and it can't even run AIDA64 bandwidth test, the rig hard crashes even at default 4800 speed. Going to have to get these RMA'd.

Edit: I found out all the T-Create sticks from Teamgroup are A-dies

Last edited:
Looking forward to testing this cpu at very low power levels to make my rig even quieter than it is now.
It's fine for that purpose but you still need a bit of cooling power due to the extreme heat density mind you. Like with an identical wattage an Intel CPU will be way quieter (because easier to cool).

The fan speed does not matter too much though, it needs a large heatsink and good application of paste.

Finally playing Quantum Break maxed out in 4K at 120 FPS. All it took was seven years and two fully upgraded PCs to get there.

What a game, though.

I've giving it a go right now. It runs fine, but man it still seems buggy. I've had the lighting go haywire (making it tough to see/do anything) twice and sometimes when leaving a 30fps cutscene the game will just stay at 30fps.

EDIT: I ended up full-on bailing. This kept happening to me at random times (usually after going to one of the menus). When I finally made it through the chapter, I discovered that they shut the damned movie servers off. You can watch the movies on YouTube, but that combined with the wonky lighting/colors was too much. It's honestly too bad. The part that I played seemed fine. A little bit like Max Payne, Uncharted, and Control.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am so stressed these days, I need to take my mind off and build a PC. That is why I may place the order this weekend. :(
This, right here, is why I love this forum. The pettiness and the juvenile bickering I see at other forums is just so childish.

This is our hobby. We share an interest in this hobby. We need to come together and be supportive of each other.

KickAssCop, I also am stressed! LOL. Take it easy. It’s okay to forget about the world for a while.

This, right here, is why I love this forum. The pettiness and the juvenile bickering I see at other forums is just so childish.

This is our hobby. We share an interest in this hobby. We need to come together and be supportive of each other.

KickAssCop, I also am stressed! LOL. Take it easy. It’s okay to forget about the world for a while.
lol youre new here eh?! or youve never dipped your toes into genmay...
most are stressed and yeah you need to unwind in whatever way works for you and often.
edit ok, maybe not too often(see below)

Last edited:
I think the the 7800x3d and mobos are in a decent state right now. More so for those that like to tweak than anything else.

I think the the 7800x3d and mobos are in a decent state right now. More so for those that like to tweak than anything else.
Some of the YouTubers… big names, too… have been a little hysterical in the way they’ve handled this.

Okay, maybe their actual content wasn’t so hysterical, but when they post preview images of CPUs burning up, and themselves jumping back, as though a nuke has exploded, yeah, they are being kind of hysterical.

4090-gate was overblown. One person at this forum even created a thread calling the 4090 situation a ‘fiasco’. That’s bullshit.

Decided to complete the look and get a Gigabyte AORUS Gen5 10000 2TB PCIe 5.0 NVMe. I've never skipped so many generations in one build before, 4 generations of cpu and 2 generations of pcie and ssd's.

Decided to complete the look and get a Gigabyte AORUS Gen5 10000 2TB PCIe 5.0 NVMe. I've never skipped so many generations in one build before, 4 generations of cpu and 2 generations of pcie and ssd's.
Where are they selling that ssd?

I'm sure it's been said in the past 19 pages of this thread, but this has not aged well.

Also, I can go ahead and say that the 7800x3D WILL NOT be an utter failure of a CPU. Know why? Because I have its predecessor, the 5800x3D, and it is a godly CPU for gaming... and the 7800x3D is better in virtually every way.

AMD is in a bit of a golden age right now. Let's hope they keep it up.

Last edited:
Despite all the goofy shit going around AM5 mbs aren't imploding, 7000 series CPUs aren't burning whole cities down, the sky isn't falling and the world is still turning. Man...what a close call!

All of the x3d chips are great options.

Knock on wood...might have figured out the latest issue with my build. Earlier in week I tried both replacing the power cord and plugging into different outlet. PC was still hard crashing and/or rebooting after a while of playing a game. I already had the latest BIOS so this morning I updated chipset drivers since I had not done that since the first time after installing windows.

Then I also remembered that a couple weeks or so ago, before this issue started, I suddenly got an AMD error that I had the "wrong driver" for my Radeon GPU installed. Could not even start AMD Adrenalin because of it. I assume either despite turning off driver updates windows still somehow changed it anyway (i have heard of this happening) or after resetting my BIOS the last time, maybe I forgot to again turn off MSI's default BIOS malware that auto installs drivers/software. Have not noticed any MSI software, so I am leaning towards windows. Then again, maybe even AMD's own Adrenalin software pushed a corrupted update. Anyway, at the time I manually reinstalled the latest GPU driver after getting that error (and the error went away and I could launch Adrenalin again).

So I also used AMD Cleanup Utility in windows safe mode this morning to entirely remove the GPU driver/software and reinstall the latest yet again. So far no issues all day, despite previously having problems after gaming for relatively short periods. Thinking the GPU driver got corrupted to the extent that reinstalling could not fix it without doing a full safe mode cleanup first. I guess that extremely loud crackling-like noise might have been coil whine from the GPU? Still, no excuse for AMD and/or Microsoft and/or MSI. None of the three of them should be allowing these broken driver delivery systems. Never had any driver issues with my Nvidia 2070 Super - though my unit does have hardware issues.

Back