7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

Special case then because my Ryzen 1600 setup was extremely finicky at first. Way worse than some touchy ram and long post times.
5 Reboots to post, and it worked. I didn't get the 3200 Mhz RAM dialed in until 6 months and 17 BIOS updates later (I am exaggerating, I think but I was running BETA bios-es the whole time from MSI) , but it worked out the gate at lower fabric speeds.

My Exp with the 7000 series is it didn't work at all, on 3 motherboards and 2 RAM kits.

Plugged all the stuff into a Z790 and it posted and worked flawlessly (minus the RAM, I went DDR4).

5 Reboots to post, and it worked. I didn't get the 3200 Mhz RAM dialed in until 6 months and 17 BIOS updates later (I am exaggerating, I think but I was running BETA bios-es the whole time from MSI) , but it worked out the gate at lower fabric speeds.

My Exp with the 7000 series is it didn't work at all, on 3 motherboards and 2 RAM kits.

Plugged all the stuff into a Z790 and it posted and worked flawlessly (minus the RAM, I went DDR4).

May be you just got a dud chip. I had a dead brand new 7950x that wont post at all, swapped in my 7700x it worked just fine. So if its you are getting no boot in 3 boards its most likely the chip is a dud. It happens.

May be you just got a dud chip. I had a dead brand new 7950x that wont post at all, swapped in my 7700x it worked just fine. So if its you are getting no boot in 3 boards its most likely the chip is a dud. It happens.
Yup. Ryzen 1000 series was finicky across the board. Which was to be expected with a whole new chipset, arch....everything. It was uh...interesting times lol.

Yup. Ryzen 1000 series was finicky across the board. Which was to be expected with a whole new chipset, arch....everything. It was uh...interesting times lol.
I was just genuinly surprised it was my first dead chip. I guess it happens. I got it replaced by newegg and sold it here. I didn't want to swap again until x3d lmao. But the new one worked fine whoever bought it.

Due to the electricity spikes and dips in our area, I try to unplug all electronics from the wall when not in use. Will a complete unplug from the wall cause an AMD machine (or an Intel machine) to have to retrain the memory every time one plugs it back in?
From what I understand, there are essentially three levels of boot time. The very first one (not sure if that means any hardware change afterwards or only certain hardware changes), which could be several minutes.

Then there is any boot after that, which depending on the motherboard could be up to a minute. Originally some users were reporting 2-3 minutes depending on the motherboard model and BIOS version. Not sure if there are any scenarios where that still happens - for most models/BIOS versions, they are under 1 minute now, with 30-45 seconds being the average it sounds like.

Then people can enable a Fast Boot mode to reduce it much further, but it seems that is currently a bad idea - causes stability issues since it is a feature that AMD does not seem to officially support.

Does complete power loss reset things back to Boot #1? Not sure - hopefully someone else knows.

See my post here for things to watch out for in your MB selection:
https://hardforum.com/threads/7800x3d-negative-temperature-in-bios.2026996/#post-1045623698

I was just genuinly surprised it was my first dead chip. I guess it happens. I got it replaced by newegg and sold it here. I didn't want to swap again until x3d lmao. But the new one worked fine whoever bought it.
Yeah I think my 1st dead chip was a 3600. Though the mobo was shot, too...so that may have had something to do with it.

Does complete power loss reset things back to Boot #1? Not sure - hopefully someone else knows.

Nope, it doesn't. As far as I can tell the only way you go back to that really long initial boot =

1. Change the CPU
2. Change your RAM with different type(s)
3. Update or reset your BIOS to the factory defaults. Removing your battery would probably do the same thing.

Maybe some board manufacturers treat things differently, but that's how it works with ASUS.

On Asus it is under the setting in PBO where you can limit clocks on a per-core basis.
Is this it? No clue on how to interpret…

IMG_1494.jpeg

Is this it? No clue on how to interpret…
No just go to Precision Boost Overdrive > Maximum Frequency Per Core (not the exact name, I'm not at home so can't check) > Enable then it shows the score for each individual core (atleast on my MB). You can just disable the max frequency option after.

To each their own. When I attempted jumping on the AMD bandwagon off of my 5900X I ran into nightmare fuel problems. There were lots of people having the same issues. Maybe they worked all their issues out, clearly, they haven't because I keep seeing people having issues with them. I will wait until they mature the platform and then switch back from my energy hog 13900K.

there's this thing called user error and from most of the complaints about problems I've seen they are caused by user error and lazy ass people where their first reaction is to go on a forum, reddit, twitter, etc and complain about something instead of spending the time fixing their fk up. of course any platform will have problems that's just the nature of computers. there is no one platform that "just works" contrary to what Jensen says.

there is no one platform that "just works" contrary to what Jensen says.
I think people just get really used to the "quirks" of certain hardware once they spend a bunch of generations using only that brand of hardware. It's like when people claim Nvidia "just works"...as someone who's been roughly 50/50 between AMD and Nvidia, it just makes me laugh.

Can't say much about Intel as I haven't personally used one since my Q6600, but I'm sure if I put together an Intel system right now I'd probably find a "quirk".

Add on top that most people don't even try to isolate an issue before declaring "well I've heard X about Y on the internet, so it must be that" i.e. drivers.

I think people just get really used to the "quirks" of certain hardware once they spend a bunch of generations using only that brand of hardware. It's like when people claim Nvidia "just works"...as someone who's been roughly 50/50 between AMD and Nvidia, it just makes me laugh.

Can't say much about Intel as I haven't personally used one since my Q6600, but I'm sure if I put together an Intel system right now I'd probably find a "quirk".

Add on top that most people don't even try to isolate an issue before declaring "well I've heard X about Y on the internet, so it must be that" i.e. drivers.
100%.

Even on the laptop side - I had a 7945HX lappy I was looking at - it was a Micro Center "Platinum Collection" model so it came with a ridiculous 64GB of RAM - guess what I had to deal with on first boot? lol thing took like 4 minutes of black screen. How can manufacturers not put a sticker or something on there? Joe Average that doesn't know AMD's quirk there would immediately return the thing. A lot of this could be solved by AMD or Intel just putting a sticker or a sheet of paper in an obvious spot so people are aware.

100%.

Even on the laptop side - I had a 7945HX lappy I was looking at - it was a Micro Center "Platinum Collection" model so it came with a ridiculous 64GB of RAM - guess what I had to deal with on first boot? lol thing took like 4 minutes of black screen. How can manufacturers not put a sticker or something on there? Joe Average that doesn't know AMD's quirk there would immediately return the thing. A lot of this could be solved by AMD or Intel just putting a sticker or a sheet of paper in an obvious spot so people are aware.

I'm honestly a little baffled how rarely that first boot lag is mentioned. Jay did a good job of hammering it home in his early Zen 4 reviews, but he hasn't really mentioned it much since. With a lot of people hopping on the train right now, it's something that should be shouted from the rooftops. Taking 5-10 minutes to post is enough to make literally anyone think something is up.

I'm running a 3700x, 6800xt, 32Gb 3600 ram, 970 evo, at native 4k 60hrz, works great and will keep it until it must be replaced. Came from a 1090t. Only problem is I start to watch the eye candy and not the game.

there's this thing called user error and from most of the complaints about problems I've seen they are caused by user error and lazy ass people where their first reaction is to go on a forum, reddit, twitter, etc and complain about something instead of spending the time fixing their fk up. of course any platform will have problems that's just the nature of computers. there is no one platform that "just works" contrary to what Jensen says.
There's user error and there are actual hardware failures. I actively work in the IT industry, I'm not without my flaws and I do make mistakes. But the systems I fired up and tested for days were shit. Probably the worst experience of my career trying to upgrade to a new platform. I ordered and tested 3 motherboards, 2 sets of RAM and it was nightmare fuel. Plenty of other people had encountered a lot of issues migrating to the 7000 series platform. I think the shit adoption rates and the fact that they had to essentially bribe people to buy their unfinished hardware says it all. Their motherboard release feature set is a nightmare, confusing naming conventions, limited features and crazy costs for adoption.

If I hosed the build I would have admitted it. I had a totally nightmare fueled experience. Looks like I'm not alone in this.

This thread is retarded anyway, all arguments aside, the 7800X3D is pretty bad ass. The other X3D parts are stupid. They will have scheduler issues, forever, because they lack any sort of hardware scheduler. AMD slapped cache on their high end chips and robbed their customers before releasing the 5800X3D. They even tried to clock limit it and it still beats the hell out of it's higher end siblings.

Anyway, if the X3D had been out I suspect I would have not given up. But it wasn't and I sold my soul to Team Blue. My experience there was flawless. AMD has a real problem with releasing new products without having their microcode up to snuff. This has been going on since first Gen Ryzen. Only the 5000 series was really bulletproof, but that's because it was the last gen release on a mature platform.

There's user error and there are actual hardware failures. I actively work in the IT industry, I'm not without my flaws and I do make mistakes. But the systems I fired up and tested for days were shit. Probably the worst experience of my career trying to upgrade to a new platform. I ordered and tested 3 motherboards, 2 sets of RAM and it was nightmare fuel. Plenty of other people had encountered a lot of issues migrating to the 7000 series platform. I think the shit adoption rates and the fact that they had to essentially bribe people to buy their unfinished hardware says it all. Their motherboard release feature set is a nightmare, confusing naming conventions, limited features and crazy costs for adoption.

If I hosed the build I would have admitted it. I had a totally nightmare fueled experience. Looks like I'm not alone in this.

This thread is retarded anyway, all arguments aside, the 7800X3D is pretty bad ass. The other X3D parts are stupid. They will have scheduler issues, forever, because they lack any sort of hardware scheduler. AMD slapped cache on their high end chips and robbed their customers before releasing the 5800X3D. They even tried to clock limit it and it still beats the hell out of it's higher end siblings.

Anyway, if the X3D had been out I suspect I would have not given up. But it wasn't and I sold my soul to Team Blue. My experience there was flawless. AMD has a real problem with releasing new products without having their microcode up to snuff. This has been going on since first Gen Ryzen. Only the 5000 series was really bulletproof, but that's because it was the last gen release on a mature platform.
Like I said. You kept changing boards when you probably had a dead chip. It happened to me with 7950x that refused to boot. Odds of 3 boards being bad is close to none.

Like I said. You kept changing boards when you probably had a dead chip. It happened to me with 7950x that refused to boot. Odds of 3 boards being bad is close to none.
The chip wasn't dead, but it might have been mostly dead ;)

No just go to Precision Boost Overdrive > Maximum Frequency Per Core (not the exact name, I'm not at home so can't check) > Enable then it shows the score for each individual core (atleast on my MB). You can just disable the max frequency option after.
Nice dude this is looking good! PBO CO -25. After one round of Fortnite (reset before so it's a real, under load average):

7800X3D_HWINFO_co_neg25.png

I'll get back to the ASUS side with the 7950X3D tonight. This is my "office" rig.

Last edited:
Can’t find this setting in case you have time to dig - thanks!

Can’t find this setting in case you have time to dig - thanks!
Precision Boost Over Drive > Maximum Boost Clock Per-Core, but honestly it doesn't matter too much if you already have your CPU dialed in, it just tells you the estimated silicon quality for each core and recommends the maximum boost clock. At different CO offsets the estimated silicon quality will change after some usage, so it could be useful for individually assigning CO offsets if needed.

Precision Boost Over Drive > Maximum Boost Clock Per-Core, but honestly it doesn't matter too much if you already have your CPU dialed in, it just tells you the estimated silicon quality for each core and recommends the maximum boost clock. At different CO offsets the estimated silicon quality will change after some usage, so it could be useful for individually assigning CO offsets if needed.
The 7800X3D is dialed in. This is for the 7950X3D. I don’t think my X670E GENE has that setting but I’ll look. Are you on a Crosshair or higher or something?

Yea it does take a bit longer to setup after install, but other than that I can't really think of any downsides to it, been on it for 1.5 years.
Yeah, I just get tired of rehashing through stuff because microsoft decides to change basic things that really don't need to be changed.

Yeah, I just get tired of rehashing through stuff because microsoft decides to change basic things that really don't need to be changed.
What I do is I have a registry file that I created and have added to it over the last year so after I wipe my machine I just put in the USB stick and click on the registry file and it fixes most of my annoyances. Then I just disable all the invasive privacy settings and set all the services to manual and decide myself what needs to automatically launch.

Windows 11 has worked great for me for awhile now, 0 issues. Really like 22H2 update as well and Windows explorer have tabbed windows is nice as hell. Gaming has been smooth as butter as well. I really don't get all the fuss as this point, most bugs have been worked to the point of anything remaining feels like normal Windows... lol

Windows 11 has worked great for me for awhile now, 0 issues. Really like 22H2 update as well and Windows explorer have tabbed windows is nice as hell. Gaming has been smooth as butter as well. I really don't get all the fuss as this point, most bugs have been worked to the point of anything remaining feels like normal Windows... lol
Eh, if you say so. Maybe with time it starts to feel better. Only been on it for a few weeks or so. Admittedly I really don't get much time at my actual pc nowadays.

Been messing around with Curve Optimizer a bit more. Didn't know this myself until today so thought I might post it here in case anyone else didn't know.

Curve Optimizer limits:
Positive: 30 (same as AM4)
Negative: 300 (was 30 on AM4)

My system hard locks at -50 in Cinebench R23. Currently stability testing more conservative values.

Eh, if you say so. Maybe with time it starts to feel better. Only been on it for a few weeks or so. Admittedly I really don't get much time at my actual pc nowadays.
FWIW, I use Windows 11 on my gaming PC, but my work laptop is still Windows 10 and I can say when I have to use my laptop (as I WFH), I don't care for 10 as much as 11 anymore. Maybe I did get used to it, but it could also be how I set things up, it's been flawless for me the entire time. I also waited until last September to make the switch, long after the initial release bugs.

I like Windows 11. Now that the Start Menu has folders, I find it quicker than 10 for day-to-day stuff. They've finally made the "Settings" menu pretty useful and the additional HDR functionality is much appreciated.
Beyond those things, it's not all that different from 10.

Back