7800X3D will be an utter failure of a CPU

LMAO, reviews are out and the 7800X3D wipes the floor with the 7950X3D. Now you know why it was released later and the prices on the bigger chips are dropping. Its literally the same or better performance for cheaper even with a gimped clock speed, although we suspected this would be the case.

Last edited:
LMAO, reviews are out and the 7800X3D wipes the floor with the 7950X3D. Now you know why it was released later and the prices on the bigger chips are dropping. Its literally the same or better performance for cheaper even with a gimped clock speed, although we suspected this would be the case.
Yep, and the FOMO crowd gets soaked again.

How does this explain the 7773x? That has 64 cores with 3D vcache and was last gen tech that worked. They’re doing 3D vcache again on their Genoa CPUs as well. I just think they wanted to segment the consumer CPUs better. A 7950x3d with vcache on all CCDs put into a server board would be a pretty good alternative to server CPUs for applications needing high clocks and the vcache. It wouldn’t be 64 or 96 cores, but it’s also a lot cheaper.

I can understand the weirdness they pulled on something like the 7900x, but doing it on the 7950x just seems like unnecessary cost-cutting/market segmentation.

The server parts generally clock a lot lower ,also more applications there may take advantage of both the additional cache + cores, where games seem to top out at 6-8.

Playing F1 22 faster than anything else and staying under 40 watt.....

The money saved on cooling this, if you do not already have the cooler make it interesting.

A note from the GN video, chip swapping without reinstalling the OS causes some weird core problems with these X3D chips, parking some of the cores that should not be parked.

It'll be faster than the 5800 x3d and will likely be the best price e / performance chip of the 7000 series when it releases.
Did not seem to achieve that, still the 7600x by a very large margin (according to the 17:15 of the video above), seem to be 7700x/13700k level performance/price which is exceptional for the highest top end

For those holding off - watch the used market. There will be some juicy deals on 7700X, 7900X, 7950X for gamers moving to X3D.

Now I have to wait for my 2TB 990 Pro to be delivered from yesterday’s Samsung deal before I start a new build,

First new build in almost a decade.

Looks like you and I are in a similar boat. First new build since 2014. Only thing I’m waiting on are the 990 pros and the 7800x3d!

I think it seems "ok". I think if the price comes down, it could really become interesting.

Edit: My "ok" would be "good" or "great" if it weren't for the whole platform redo that's required. In other words, at it's current price, I think there are "choices", including, staying put.

Considering the performance for gaming. The power usage and the affordability of the AM5 system makes this CPU a home run. It is beyond a fantastic CPU for gaming.

If you want to get a productivity only CPU, than the 7800x3d is not it.

Considering you can get an AM5 motherboard for $120, 32GB of 6000 memory for $100 and the CPU for $450 to get the BEST gaming performance....its a no brainer.

I’m hoping Microcenter will do a free ram deal with the 7800x3D as well but I doubt it since I expect the chip to be popular.

And being that I expect my builds to last, I will invest in some relatively more mid-high end components.

Does the 7800x3D require water cooling? I honestly would rather not deal with it, and just use air.

Considering you can get an AM5 motherboard for $120, 32GB of 6000 memory for $100 and the CPU for $450 to get the BEST gaming performance....its a no brainer.
And you can probably cool it with an old Hyper 212 lying around if you have nothing better and has a better chance for an old PSU to be enough.

Which is a strange combo, I do not imagine that it will be common to go for that budget build (it is still quite an expensive CPU and people that care about best gaming performance probably spend a bit on the system), but it would probably make a lot of sense for a gamer, they usually do not need the motherboard to do much else than plug that GPU and a couple of hard drives.

And you can probably cool it with an old Hyper 212 lying around if you have nothing better and has a better chance for an old PSU to be enough.

Which is a strange combo, I do not imagine that it will be common to go for that budget build (it is still quite an expensive CPU and people that care about best gaming performance probably spend a bit on the system), but it would probably make a lot of sense for a gamer, they usually do not need the motherboard to do much else than plug that GPU and a couple of hard drives.
Shit you could even cool it with a stock AMD cooler used on the 5600x. Thats how damn efficient the 7800x3D is......

Last edited:
It’s really unfortunate there are no reasonably priced AM5 motherboards with onboard 10G NICs, so I’ll still have to use a slot for one. While 2.5G is an improvement, at this point 10G should be more widely available.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found any performance comparisons or indications between a 7950X3D with the non-cache CCD forced off (through BIOS, Processor Lasso, or other method that works with 100% consistency) and the 7800X3D? So far I am seeing all the reviewers started with a fresh round of benchmarks for both the 7950X3D and the 7800X3D, and in this fresh round they dropped their 7950x3d-ccd-disabled benchmarks. Wondering how they compare in that way, since before the launch I heard that supposedly the vcache side of the 7950X3D was still clocked higher than the 7800X3D, though of course still much lower than the non-cache side.

EDIT:
Wendell over at Level1Techs claimed (he didn't benchmark - just played the game) that all the AMD X3D CPUs, even the 5800X3D, outperformed the 13900k in Stellaris, including late-game. And he also claimed the 7000X3D CPUs performed much better than 5800X3D (already ahead of the 13900k) in that game. Also that the 7950X3D "might" have been "a little bit better" than the 7800X3D.

Probably just something happened in the game during the 7800X3D tests that caused more CPU usage than during the 7950X3D tests. After going back and looking at the various old 7950X3D reviews that included "simulated 7800X3D" benchmarks, if those old ones are still accurate with all the latest firmware/software updates, there is essentially no difference between the 7950X3D with non-cache CCD disabled and the 7800X3D. They are always right next to each other and trade blows.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, has anyone found any performance comparisons or indications between a 7950X3D with the non-cache CCD forced off (through BIOS, Processor Lasso, or other method that works with 100% consistency) and the 7800X3D? So far I am seeing all the reviewers started with a fresh round of benchmarks for both the 7950X3D and the 7800X3D, and in this fresh round they dropped their 7950x3d-ccd-disabled benchmarks. Wondering how they compare in that way, since before the launch I heard that supposedly the vcache side of the 7950X3D was still clocked higher than the 7800X3D, though of course still much lower than the non-cache side.

LTT came close for example it had the 7900x vcache ccd only at 6:54 and the non v-cache 7950x3d...

https://youtu.be/nj4gn7od0jY?t=414

Back