7800GTX ram cooling necessary?

halcyon

Gawd
So I've got a pair of 7800GTX's, one is a dell card and has the sick 512mb cooler, the other is an overclocked XFX running at 490/650. And it is overheating like mad. I've been thinking of throwing a NvSilencer or otherwise on it.. but I am concerned that I wont have room on the back of the card to put ramsinks because the dell card buts up right next to it (SLI-DR). So my question is twofold.

1) Do I really need to cool these ram chips on the back? How hot do they get without a heatsink?

2) Is there a better alternative to the NV Silencer? I saw it was only getting like 10C better and for reference my dell card under full load overclocked gets to a max of like 58C.. so ideally I'd like the best cooler possible that only takes up a single extra slot.

THANKS!

yeah, go with the zalman and fit some small ramsinks on the top, such as OCZ's. Theyre good, and not too tall. Or you could just switch the positions of the cards, so the one with the NV5/Zalman is on top, and therefore has plenty of room for ramsinks on the top.

Back