7800GTX is the top of the line 7xxx - right?

jsn117

Limp Gawd
is there something coming out in a week or two that is the 6800 Ultra to the 6800?

not anytime soon, maybe when the r520 comes out, depending on how good that this. No worries, you e-pen0r is super long when you got the 7800GTX

not in terms of what ATI has to offer, but is this Nvidia's top offering for the 7 series?

HardOCP's review would appear to disagree with you, although it's kind of ambiguous.

I'm inclined to believe that at least for a good while, this will be the fastest card on the market.

I read this is the best one that will be relased. Best as in speed, etc.

DragonNOA1 said:
No, i heard there is an ultra planned whenever ATI launches their cards

Yep.

My bet is they'll up the voltage and cooling; and release a 550+Mhz chip. (28% faster!!)

Since the PS3's GPU (same basic chip) is going to be 550Mhz in a small form factor, they should easily be able to hit 550Mhz with a big dual slot cooler, etc!!

And thats why they availability on launch also. 430Mhz is probably easy for this chip to hit. And it hasn't even had that many revisions yet. This is an A2 chip, from all of the pics I've seen. By the time they're ready for the Ultra they might be on a new core revision, where they're really getting good speeds easily. (great yields)

No need to wait....Just get it vmodded now and have the top dog..period! ;)

2Fresh said:
No need to wait....Just get it vmodded now and have the top dog..period! ;)

I will be going X2 after my 7800GTX Such a rig should hold me over for awhile

chrisf6969 said:
Yep.

My bet is they'll up the voltage and cooling; and release a 550+Mhz chip. (28% faster!!)

Since the PS3's GPU (same basic chip) is going to be 550Mhz in a small form factor, they should easily be able to hit 550Mhz with a big dual slot cooler, etc!!

And thats why they availability on launch also. 430Mhz is probably easy for this chip to hit. And it hasn't even had that many revisions yet. This is an A2 chip, from all of the pics I've seen. By the time they're ready for the Ultra they might be on a new core revision, where they're really getting good speeds easily. (great yields)

The PS3 RSX is also on a 90nm manufactoring process, which makes it MUCH easier to hit that 550Mhz, the 7800GTX is on a 110nm process. Though it is logical to assume that they will release a more powerful model to combat the R520 when it comes out.

Early OCing shows the chip can generally hit 500Mhz fairly easy, which is sorta decent I guess. But a lot of add in partners are shipping at 480Mhz on the core already, which would really make the 550Mhz core jump alone kinda pointless, since it would carry an increased price.

pandora's box said:
480 on the core? i thought it was only 460 offered by bfg and xfx?

I havent looked, just new it was decently above the reference. So I guessed. :D

Well Nvidia might not even have to release another version of the 7800 GTX depending on how the R520 is. I personally believe all the junk about a 32 pipe version was BS.

It probably wouldnt be to hard for Nvidia to release a higher clocked version if the R520 comes out an turn out to be a bit faster. But 32 pipes is BS as far as im concerned.

Anyone know if it would be possible for companies like BFG to put in faster ram? I dont understand the whole ram thing but would it be possible to put faster ram (Im talking about how many NS it is)

it is the middle of the road version. i'm sure they will release a 16 (or 20?) pipe version w/ all the 7800 enhancements when they sell out their stock of 6800 Ultra/GTs...

Another reason to think that the GTX is the middle product is because its only a single slot cooling solution. I'm sure they could get more MHz out of it with an Ultra-like cooler.

OF course their could be another card. That is NVidia's style. They dont want to lose.

IF the R520 poses a threat and outscores the 7800GTX, then NVidia will countermove with a faster "ultra" version. If the R520 is on par with, or doesnt beat the 7800GTX, then their is no point right now for a faster version. Its all about money. They either want to save money by not make a product they dont need to make because their product is already superior, or the want to make money by producing a new product that will win so people will buy it.

Its all about the money, they dont care how fast our games run just as long as we are stupid enough to buy the cards :) Like ME!

so the next 7xxx would surface when the r520 does...

any idea when that happens?

Michael.R said:
Well Nvidia might not even have to release another version of the 7800 GTX depending on how the R520 is. I personally believe all the junk about a 32 pipe version was BS.

It probably wouldnt be to hard for Nvidia to release a higher clocked version if the R520 comes out an turn out to be a bit faster. But 32 pipes is BS as far as im concerned.

Anyone know if it would be possible for companies like BFG to put in faster ram? I dont understand the whole ram thing but would it be possible to put faster ram (Im talking about how many NS it is)

im pretty sure nvidia has set guidelines on the type of ram to use on the cards...

jsn117 said:
so the next 7xxx would surface when the r520 does...

any idea when that happens?
Whenever ATi Decides it wants to produce. Who knows what the problem is with them right now. They may be secretly stocking up millions of R520s so when they do annouce it, it will be available like the 7800 was. who knows.

then NVidia will countermove with a faster "ultra" version.

Hmm, where have I heard that before.... Oh yeah the NV35 and NV40 launches. Seriously, this whole "holding-back" of super ultra versions has never been true, it's always just been a fantasy in the eyes of a few people, but it never happens

SnakEyez187 said:
Hmm, where have I heard that before.... Oh yeah the NV35 and NV40 launches. Seriously, this whole "holding-back" of super ultra versions has never been true, it's always just been a fantasy in the eyes of a few people, but it never happens
I think this time will be the only exception... Their is alot to be gained / lost this round. If ATi Fails to produce again, their financial situation may worsen...

USMC2Hard4U said:
I think this time will be the only exception... Their is alot to be gained / lost this round. If ATi Fails to produce again, their financial situation may worsen...

Uhh, the X800XT PE was faster than the Ultra, just bad marketing by ATi and Nvidia realizing the useless SM3.0 on the 6800s was a great marketing tool.

Skrying said:
Uhh, the X800XT PE was faster than the Ultra, just bad marketing by ATi and Nvidia realizing the useless SM3.0 on the 6800s was a great marketing tool.
Availability.
Everyone stocked up on the 6800 GT when ATI couldn't deliver their products fast enough.

Intel_Hydralisk said:
Availability.
Everyone stocked up on the 6800 GT when ATI couldn't deliver their products fast enough.
QFT. I would have preferred an 800xt pe, but couldn't get it for < $900 and not OEM.

Back