7800GTX 512mb worth it ?

LordBritish

2[H]4U
Is the 7800 GTX 512mb worth the money at $700+?

I'll be upgrading my computer soon and I'll be looking for a new video card.

I currently have a 6800 Ultra which plays games OK still.

I'm thinking that a 7800GTX 256mb is plenty fast nuff and costs about $460.

You are right. The 256MB 7800GTX is plenty fast enough. The comparisions I've seen with the 512MB version of the 7800GTX, frankly makes the 512MB version pointless, its just to prove that its better than the X1800L. Its realy only a few frames per second extra which you realy wont notice.

Heh, you're asking this in the [H]forum....Most will say if you got the scratch to burn and you play at high res (16x12 or higher) then go for it. Personally I play at 1280x1024 (and am expecting a 720p hdtv soon), so a 78GT is fine. And when it isnt, another one is only ~$300 (and dropping) away.

No, it is not worth it at all. Way overpriced.

That said, I got one on pre-order... :D

256 VS 512, you are really not going to see a difference. You'd be better off running the 256 version in SLI over buying just one 512 version. To each his own though.

If you are one of those who doesnt play above 1280x1024 then don't get it. Otherwise grab one! (But if yours gets in before mine watch your back :D )

actually the 7800gtx 512 is quite a bit faster than the normal gtx, solely because of its insane clockspeeds

Big Fat Duck said:
actually the 7800gtx 512 is quite a bit faster than the normal gtx, solely because of its insane clockspeeds

thats probably the sole reason its so much faster :D didnt the ram show it didnt help much "yet".. except for Q4/Doom 3 ultra quality?

IMO

Worth the $650 MSRP? Yes, if you play at 1600x1200.

Worth the $750 - $800 rpices that they are at now? No way dude.

I say wait a few months for the cards to become in stock and for prices to come back to earth, then buy one.

I do agree that NVIDIA released this card for the sole reason of proving that they could do better than the X1800XT. Regardless though, it's still a killer card that would play every game a highest settings for the next year or two.

[BB] Rick James said:
256 VS 512, you are really not going to see a difference. You'd be better off running the 256 version in SLI over buying just one 512 version. To each his own though.
Not much of a difference? The added RAM may not always yield incredible performance increases, but there have been various optimizations and such that allow the GTX 512 to be clocked MUCH higher.

Still 2x GTs or GTXs would yield better performance for the same or less. 2GTs 11,000-12,000 3DMark 05 points and a single GTX 512 is around 10,000.

512mb version is certainly a good deal faster, as noted earlier, especially at 1600x1200 or with heavy aa/af. worth it? depends on your cash situation and patience level. no doubt, 2 of those puppies will clean house on two gtx's. if your patience is high enough to wait, i recommend doing so. ex: i built a pc in aug 7800gtx was 599, so i grabbed a 7800gt til i came across gtx on [H] fs/ft for 400.00. waited about a month and a half and saved 200 bucks. although I suspect the 512mb versions to hold their high value longer.

Yes it's worth it, but theres a condition you have to have more money than you do sense
and obviously you do so buy 2

No its not worth the $750 price tag. Not that its in stock.

A much better buy would be getting 2x7800GT's for $600, or even less with rebates. You would get better performance than a single 512mb GTX, and have $150 "left over". Which could go towards another gig of ram or a nice SLI board.

fallguy said:
No its not worth the $750 price tag. Not that its in stock.

A much better buy would be getting 2x7800GT's for $600, or even less with rebates. You would get better performance than a single 512mb GTX, and have $150 "left over". Which could go towards another gig of ram or a nice SLI board.

The big problem with that is what if you want maximum performance?

Two 7800GTX 512 MB cards in SLi = THE shizzle.

BAR NONE!!!

BBA said:
The big problem with that is what if you want maximum performance?

Two 7800GTX 512 MB cards in SLi = THE shizzle.

BAR NONE!!!

The poster doesnt say anything about wanting two of them, just if one is worth the price. Which its not.

You have to have a specific way to measure worth.

If you want to play any current and near future game at maximum resolution and detail, then 7800 GTX 512 SLI is the only shipping solution that can do it. That was my rationale when I bought my two.

Sure, you can play most games at decent levels with a single 6800 or even 6600, but I wanted uncompromising performance in gaming for the next year, and 2 512's with a Ahtlon X2 4800+ in an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard with 2GB of 3500LL PRO RAM I believe will do just that.

So, you have to decide what you want from your gaming/computing experience and decide what solution will provide you with what you want in the most cost effective way possible.

That's the normal buying process. In the case of the GTX 512, no its not cost effective. But as of this moment, GTX 512 SLI was the ONLY solution that would give me what I wanted.

Good luck with your decision!

LordBritish said:
Is the 7800 GTX 512mb worth the money at $700+?

I'll be upgrading my computer soon and I'll be looking for a new video card.

I currently have a 6800 Ultra which plays games OK still.

I'm thinking that a 7800GTX 256mb is plenty fast nuff and costs about $460.

I would say stick with the GTX 256. You will see a world of difference going from a 68 Ultra to a 78 GTX.

The whole concept of a computer component and its "worth" is kind of interesting. It is all based around your budget and how much you are willing to spend to reach a certain level of performance. Are most high-end gaming systems worth it? I bet most people would think not. You just have to put a dollar value on the extra frames-per-second, higher AA and AF settings, and bragging rights you will get between the two cards in question. If these points are important and you have the cash, the 512 will be worth every penny. If these things don't matter so much stick with the 256.

You will end up a happy camper with either choice so good luck on the upgrade.

totally worth it to me. i've got a dell 1680x1050 widescreen LCD and i want 60fps at that rez, with eye candy. bfg 512oc was the only way to go, as far as i'm concerned.

a card that is almost the cost of buying a whole computer that will be outdated in 3 months...no.

$600 I think is the most "sane" for one card. Asking for more...not going to give in.

BoySetsFire said:
totally worth it to me. i've got a dell 1680x1050 widescreen LCD and i want 60fps at that rez, with eye candy. bfg 512oc was the only way to go, as far as i'm concerned.

To everyone who thinks like this...which slowly i've been backing away from the mentality *although still tempated at a dual card solution...damn the devil :D * You'll never play enough games to make $1400 worth it. Especially since right around the corner games are always pushing the limits making it "obsolete" right away.

Netrat33 said:
To everyone who thinks like this...which slowly i've been backing away from the mentality *although still tempated at a dual card solution...damn the devil :D * You'll never play enough games to make $1400 worth it. Especially since right around the corner games are always pushing the limits making it "obsolete" right away.

Dictionary.com says:

worth = The quality that renders something desirable, useful, or valuable.

If someone finds it desireable, useful, or valuable and they have the means to purchase it, than I guess it is worth it to them.

;)

Let's put it this way if you have the money and want the absolute fastest graphics card on the planet for your games with the best of everything then buy the the 512mb that's what I did I wanted the best and I sure as hell got it.

It's plain and simple really otherwise if you can settle for average or whatnot then buy an ATI card or a 7800 GTX 256mb.

I bought two eVGA 7800GTX 256mb cards for 459 a piece back in October they were kickass then the 512mb came out and it kicked ass harder so...

Netrat33 said:
i only bought one of the cards, at $699. i don't plant to buy another until it's in the $300-$350 range. still, it's a grand worth of graphics cards. oh well. all my bills are paid. i manage to tuck a little away for rainy days, and i generally live within my means. so, i buy the best i can afford when i can. it's not like i'm starving myself for a game-play experience.

Netrat33 said:
a card that is almost the cost of buying a whole computer that will be outdated in 3 months...no.

$600 I think is the most "sane" for one card. Asking for more...not going to give in.

I think more than 300 and you're a freak. :p

Everybody has different priorities. I had a 6800GT before I went PCI-E. Now I have a 6600GT and its perfectly fine for me. I've saved my money for other stuff.
If a 7800gtx 512 is worth it to you, do it :cool:

Uugh forums are so slow I replied I thought to this post but it never went through I guess...<cries>

Anyways it's up to you and what you can afford to spend. If you want the best, fastest, and most expensive card on the market the 7800GTX 512mb is the card for you. You can always settle for an average card and get decent performance. The money isn't there? Well you can go buy a slower average ATI card or Nvidia card then. I bought two 7800 GTX 256mb for 459 a piece eVGA's then stepped up to the 512mb's.

Here is a breakdown briefly and approximately what you get what you pay for going fastest to slowest.

1.) 7800 GTX 512mb $700 ish depends
2.) 7800 GTX 256mb $420-600 pending on brand if it's oc'ed etc etc.
2.) X1800XT 512mb $539-600 varies
3.) 7800 GT 256mb $300ish tons of great combos with mobos games etc etc
4.) X1800XL 256mb $324-420 varies
5.) Any lower tier Nvidia card in PCI-e form
6.) AGP users 6600GT or an old ATI card no sm3 support but hey it's AGP.

Basically Nvidia is your best deal on the market you can find tons of bundles rebates and instant savings. You can get a motherboard or games what have you really great combos.

If you want the fastest though and are willing to pay for it then get the 7800 512mb or you can settle for slower then the 256mb version. You have a ton of choices and the sheer amount of combos on the Nvidia brand is surprising I hope it continues next year :).

why replace your 6800 ultra, that's enough for everything there is at this point in time.

Wesley1357 said:
why replace your 6800 ultra, that's enough for everything there is at this point in time.

Again, depends on your settings and preferences. I play all games on a 21" crt @ 1600x1200. At these settings, COD2, BF2, FEAR, Quake4 all give my card a solid workout with no AA. At my settings, the 6800 ultra would choke to death. :)

Wesley1357 said:

You are perfectly free to enjpy your 6800 Ultra, I'll enjoy my 512 MB GTX.

Thats worth it to me...so I guess the argument is answered, yes the 512 MB card IS worth it.

I am waiting for them to drop in price. Maybe when they come out with the x2 6000+, then I will consider in getting one. Lately I have been on my "L" lens kick, so spending 1-1300 on lens, takes my piggybank money

Sledgehammer70 said:
I want one so bad :) oh wait I have 2 in SLI :) awesome cards worth every penny!
I'm green with envy... :p
On a serious note, as someone already pointed out, the 512 is for high res playing, so if you don't have a 21-inch monitor (I do :p ) and play at 16x12 or higher (I do) it's not really worth it...cept for bragging rights - but we all know no one buys hardware just for bragging rights...
now please hammer me...thank you sir may I have another...

Back