7800GT or 850XT??

combustion

Gawd
looking for a new card for my system (64 3500+, msi neo4 mobo).. I've narrowed it down to these two cards the asus 850xt or the evga 7800gt.. is the newer technology in the 7800gt reason enough or should I go for the raw power of the 850xt?

btw most of my gaming is either bf2 or swg... but I also plan to play all the newer titles as well.

The 7800GT is faster than the X850XT and costs about the same, I would get the 7800GT hands down.

well I was referring to the core clock of 520 from the 850 as apposed to the 460 of the 7800.

Get the 7800GT you can get a free mobo not sure if the GT specials get you a free copy of COD2 though.

Why would you want yesterdays card that won't play new games soon probably and costs more anyways?

.::MAGE::. said:
Why would you want yesterdays card that won't play new games soon probably and costs more anyways?

this is why I'm asking, I saw the 850xt for $299 at newegg and the 7800gt was only $20 more, I've been out of it for a bit (obviously) since the last card I remember being king as the 6800... thanks for the replies.

you can get a xt pe for around 200 bux now

you just gotta look hard enough,

the nvidia is the smarter purchase though.

however I got a x800xl 512 mb for 200 too, and couldn't be happier.

.::MAGE::. said:
Get the 7800GT you can get a free mobo not sure if the GT specials get you a free copy of COD2 though.

Actually cards last a great deal longer than people here like to admit. My friend plays COD2 just fine on an FX 5500 and a 2.4 pentium 4. He sent me some screens he took on his system and they look fine. Running at good FPS and no OC either. He can't play BF2, though.

IceMole said:
That's like saying a P4 3.2 is faster then FX57 at 2.8

heh thats a ver good example =P
As everyone eles has said.. Get yourself the 7800GT.

7800GT is a generation ahead of the x850xt to begin with. Clock speeds might be slightly slower, but the 7800GT also has another pixel shader quad (20 vs 16 pixel shaders). Also the eVGA 7800GT CO is pretty damn cheap and comes with stock speeds of 450/460/470 core (N515,N516,N517 models respectively) and 1100 on the memory (not sure if that varies).

7800 will be much better though. more support and better performance @ same price unless u can tell the image quality between two cards. (people said ATI has better quality ) In my situation, I can't tell the difference between my x800 xl and 7800gt ^^

riantlee said:
7800 will be much better though. more support and better performance @ same price unless u can tell the image quality between two cards. (people said ATI has better quality ) In my situation, I can't tell the difference between my x800 xl and 7800gt ^^

Well the quality difference is actually in favor of nVidia if you're comparing these 2 cards. Don't forget about the supersampling...

Plain and simple the 7800gt is a faster card, has relatively a good price, and offers features that the last gen does not.

Back