7800GT heading to AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyviper

Limp Gawd
According to AnandTech...

The 7800GTX has a little brother, 7800GT, which will also launch and ship next week. Our sources indicate there will be copious amounts of PCIe 7800GT cards first, and AGP versions will follow much later. Like with other recent video card launches, the AGP cards will also probably carry a premium at first.

Think I'll save up for a PCI-E system though.

well... the top of the top card won't be in agp... but there a 7800gt is fine.. :p at least they aren't killing agp yet..

Notice how it says 'the agp version will appear much later'? Pretty much sucks for anyone still trying to game at the highend on a agp system.

dekard said:
Notice how it says 'the agp version will appear much later'? Pretty much sucks for anyone still trying to game at the highend on a agp system.

It's official, AGP is no longer the "highend". :)

if ati ever comes out with a card it "could" be in AGP, ya never know.

I can feel that the X850XT-PE would still rape the 7800GT in many benchmarks...

LordBritish said:
Will it be worth upgrading from a 6800 Ultra AGP to a 7800GT AGP ?
Probably not. According to raw specs posted the other day, the 7800GT will not perform any better than an X850XT (which is a card that is designed to directly compete with the 6800U).

The 7800GT probably will perform a bit better; but I don't think that it's worth the upgrade.

Terra said:
Please define "rape"?

Terra...

I really don't like you so please don't quote my posts anymore, including this one. Rape as in outperforming big time in most situations.

Mr. Stryker said:

and I feel that the x850xtpe barely outperforms the 6800ultra.. wehich is a 16 pipe card and the 7800gt is a 20pipe card with a better core than the 6800ultra.. so...... ya do the math.

aZn_plyR said:
and I feel that the x850xtpe barely outperforms the 6800ultra.. wehich is a 16 pipe card and the 7800gt is a 20pipe card with a better core than the 6800ultra.. so...... ya do the math.

Have you not seen any benchies with X850 and 7800? Do more research. X850XT >< D3D, 6800U >< OGL

The 7800GT will certainly outperform the 6800Ultra. It will be interesting to see how ATi's $400-$450 r520 based card fares against the PE and how well they've transitioned to full FP32 throughout the pipeline.

There is no doubt the 7800 GT will perform better than the 6800 Ultra / X850 series but it won't be enough to justify an upgrade from the Ultra. Save up a bit and go for the PCIe GTX if you really want to see a difference. We're at a cross-roads in the computer industry, AGP will be non-existant in new systems but people just cling on till the end (I did too because personally I don't see the performance difference), that said, PCIe is a superior architecture and you should be happy to move towards it. I love not dealing with Fast Writes and Aperture Size anymore.

Mr. Stryker said:
Have you not seen any benchies with X850 and 7800? Do more research. X850XT >< D3D, 6800U >< OGL

This guy speaks the truth...

neubspeed said:
(I did too because personally I don't see the performance difference)

That's because there is no performance difference. The only cards that take advantage of PCI-E bandwidth are the budget cards with turbocache technology. The only difference is that cards with an AGP bridge chip might have slightly less performance because informations has to pass through the bridge chip.

AGP is almost dead now. Like someone already said, you can no longer have a top-of-the-line system based on AGP. I think that for someone who has an AGP board, an upgrade to NF4 would be a better upgrade than a better graphics card anyway. You don't want to be stuck with an obsolete interface in the future. Also, if the next-gen cards are twice the speed of this gen like this gen was twice the speed of the last gen (not very likely), I think the next-gen cards will max out AGP8X and will be able to take advantage of PCI-E.

Phranq said:
if ati ever comes out with a card it "could" be in AGP, ya never know.

Yea maybe a few MONTHS after they finally release the PCI-E version they will release an AGP version. I wouldn't expect the AGP R520 any time real soon after they finally launch a PCI-E version.

Mr. Stryker said:

I dont hardly think so lol. It would take a hell of a Humus hack to pull that off :p.

Mr. Stryker said:
I really don't like you so please don't quote my posts anymore, including this one. Rape as in outperforming big time in most situations.
totally uncalled for in my opinion, he was just asking a question...... and you answered him, no need for telling him you don't like him, so not to quote you..... as far as I know, there is no rule that says you can't quote a person if said person does not like you...... not trying to flame anyone here, it's just that your little flame on Terra added nothing to the topic at hand...... and it's a topic that interests me being that I just upgraded my s754 rig to a 3700+, so while I am at it, I may as well ask the question that I have...... will this AGP 7800GT be a worthwile upgrade for me, running an OCd x800pro (12 pipe)???? or would I be better off if I found a deal on an x800xt-pe for a real good price?

Just upgrade to a PCI Express board. They are not that expensive. Whats another 100 bucks. I know I aint rich either but in the grand sceme of things it's not that expensive if your going to be upgrading the video card anyways.

Elderblaze said:
Just upgrade to a PCI Express board. They are not that expensive. Whats another 100 bucks. I know I aint rich either but in the grand sceme of things it's not that expensive if your going to be upgrading the video card anyways.

that's what i was thinking. If the next gen boards carry and AGP premeium it maybe bennificial to go ahead and make the jump to pciE

Mr. Stryker said:

It's a free country. He didn't violate any rules and you certainly are in no position to demand anything. Put him on ignore, easy enough isn't it genius?

Elderblaze said:
it's just that the s754 PCI-E boards are not made by too many companies, therefore limiting my choices until I feel like getting a faster processor, as this 3700+ smokes at stock speed...... perhaps I will grab either the MSI or the ASUS..... that would allow me a 7800GTX also......

Mr. Stryker said:

Wow...that's got to be one of the most obnoxious posts I've ever seen...

coolie_d said:
it's just that the s754 PCI-E boards are not made by too many companies, therefore limiting my choices until I feel like getting a faster processor, as this 3700+ smokes at stock speed...... perhaps I will grab either the MSI or the ASUS..... that would allow me a 7800GTX also......

DFI has one and they make the best overclocking boards.

Mr. Stryker said:

Maybe if you didn't have half of us on ignore then you would know what was going on lol.

burningrave101 said:
DFI has one and they make the best overclocking boards.

Maybe if you didn't have half of us on ignore then you would know what was going on lol.

I was referring to ^eMpTy^... I'm like wtf. How is my previous post so obnoxious?

im still very dissapointed in manufacturers not going after the "transitional" market of upgraders. The mobo that would come out with a pci-e slot and an agp slot would sell huge. Most of us can get by with our 1gb ram and our p4 overclocked to 3.6ghz. The biggest thing alot of us cant do or simply dont like is to shell out another $400 for vid card after we just spent $350 for that latest and greatest agp card. I just believe that segment of the market would be huge for $$$ to some companies. Simply put it would allow you to move over all your components to this new combo mobo. Extending the life of your agp card just a little longer goes a long way until some of us build the next monster rig.

^eMpTy^ said:
Wow...that's got to be one of the most obnoxious posts I've ever seen...

He is just mad over he screwed up bigtime in this thread ;) Click me

Terra - Funny how people blame others for their own mistakes :rolleyes:

Mr. Stryker said:

Don't try and blame me for you own mistakes ;)
It should be me not liking you, for lying about/not understading the meaning of my post, and making a big fuss of it, thereby making yourself look like a fool :p

Terra - You never did respond to your unjustified attack on me :rolleyes:

NIVO said:
im still very dissapointed in manufacturers not going after the "transitional" market of upgraders. The mobo that would come out with a pci-e slot and an agp slot would sell huge. Most of us can get by with our 1gb ram and our p4 overclocked to 3.6ghz. The biggest thing alot of us cant do or simply dont like is to shell out another $400 for vid card after we just spent $350 for that latest and greatest agp card. I just believe that segment of the market would be huge for $$$ to some companies. Simply put it would allow you to move over all your components to this new combo mobo. Extending the life of your agp card just a little longer goes a long way until some of us build the next monster rig.

Like this? http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471

I know its S939, but it is an upgraders board, too bad nothing for the Intel market like this.

Mr. Stryker said:
I really don't like you so please don't quote my posts anymore, including this one.
If you don't like what he has to say then click here to ignore him, it's better than flaming the guy and causing further trouble. If we can keep those kinds of comments out of threads we may have a chance of staying OT. :p

Speaking of which....

I don't think NVIDIA will be too quick bringing out 7800GT AGP parts when they're trying to sell us their PCIe mobo chipsets (nForce4) and PCIe cards for SLi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back