7800GS - Should I use eVGA step up?

Steve-o-man

Weaksauce
If you are going to tell me AGP is dead, please push the "back" button up there ^^ and don't threadcrap.

My eVGA step-up expires end of Feburary (currently on a 6800nu). I have to pay for school and all, so going PCI-Express at this point in my life is out of the quesion. That probably won't happen until the AM2 at the end of summer. Now, I have roughly $200 invested in my 6800nu. Supposing the 7800GS launches for $300, I could upgrade to the card for $100 and have a well-rounded system for the next six months. Should I step up to the 7800GS and call it there, or should I let me step-up expire and save $100?

Currently running:
P4 [email protected] (could do 4.0 with better cooling)
Abit IC7-G
1GB Corsair XMS
6800nu

You'll be fine for med settings for at least six months, I suggest saving up some money, get a nice job and get the whole shabang come summer man.

I've got a good job this summer and I'll undoubtedly be able to afford the big overhaul, it's just that I hate to see the step-up go to waste...

I would use the step-up. When the time comes, you´ll be able to sell the 7800GS at a higher price than the 6800nu. You will never get $200 for the nu, not now and definitly not in 6 months (except when you use the step-up, where eVGA gives you literlly $200 and you give them $100 hehe) but the GS should easielly get you still $100-150 even after 6 months.

karl76 said:
I would use the step-up. When the time comes, you´ll be able to sell the 7800GS at a higher price than the 6800nu. You will never get $200 for the nu, not now and definitly not in 6 months, but the GS should easielly get you still $100-150 even after 6 months.
Good point, I didn't even think of that. In six months my 6800nu will be basically worthless, but at least I will be able to get ~$200 out of a 7800GS (66% recovery would make me very happy). It will essentially pay for itself! Thanks man.

Deffinitely go for it, that will give your system enough life for the rest of the year.

No problem, you´re welcome. Thats the great thing about the step-up program, they pay you in most cases the best "price" (the new card minus what you have to pay them) for your used card than any normal person ever would. ;) Unless its a total retard on ebay. lol

Hmm...it seems that the 7800GS performs right at or marginally slower than an X1800XL. Has anyone here gone from a 6800nu --> X1800XL? If so, what was the difference like?

Back