Ok... newbie alert
smile.gif

I want to ziptie the fan onto the heatsink of my BFG 7800GTX OC
Do i have the right idea?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a...982/topdown.gif
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a...py1982/side.gif

I know i know.... i'm sorry
smile.gif

i just tied 4 zip ties together and went around the card, and put the second one hooked onto the plastic fan guard. heres a pic:
P1000224.jpg

big difference for me..46c idle and 57c under load during 3d mark with stock fan...now its 36c idle and 46c after 3d mark with extra fan

wow...nice mod...and i imagine if you have a 7800GTX you probably also have an A64, and chances are if you have that combo you are not using the stock heatsink, therefore you would think this would be a free mod for most people.

Nice find!

HighwayAssassins said:
wow...nice mod...and i imagine if you have a 7800GTX you probably also have an A64, and chances are if you have that combo you are not using the stock heatsink, therefore you would think this would be a free mod for most people.

Nice find!
yea it's a dam nice free mod since im using an XP-120 with a 120 panaflo for my CPU heatsink.

damstr said:
i just tied 4 zip ties together and went around the card, and put the second one hooked onto the plastic fan guard. heres a pic:
P1000224.jpg
can you turn on Flash on your cam pls? :) i can't see what's happening there lol... what do you mean you tied 4 zip ties together?

Entropy1982 said:
can you turn on Flash on your cam pls? :) i can't see what's happening there lol... what do you mean you tied 4 zip ties together?

On the right side of the fan he has 4 small zipties connected together to make 1 big ziptie. Basically he didnt have any longer zipties handy.

I just did this to my Albatron 7800GT and it was a pain in the ass. To get the plastic cover off the Albatron you have to take off the entire heatsink because the screws are on the bottom. While it was off I figured I would clean off the old thermal paste on put on some artic silver. The heatsink on the Albatron is different on the top, its like all the fins are bent over to make a flat surface, and when the plastic cover is off the stock fan has no sort of shroud to direct any of the air back through the fins. I put the stock AMD fan on and to my suprise the stock screws went in quite well with just some minimal bending of the fins. It is still idling the same at 45 degrees celsius :( . Maybe the artic silver needs to break in? Kinda seems like I wasted time on this one, I think is mainly due to the design of Albatrons heatsink.

What are you talking about? What were your temps before? 45C idle isn't that bad (at least not for me). What are load temps looking like? Are you just unimpressed by the cooling or something?

I'm can't believe I'm posting a picture of this ghetto mod.. I'm actually getting ready to shut down and put some better zip ties on it, I didn't have any single ones that were long enough, so I chained some together.

rigged.jpg

But... it runs really cool, and it's not all that loud.

I still need to do this mod :p If unplugging the stock fan is an OK option then I'll be all over this.

someone sandwhich a 120mm with like 4 80mm fans and use something like elastics so i can laugh harder

Mnx4 said:
What are you talking about? What were your temps before? 45C idle isn't that bad (at least not for me). What are load temps looking like? Are you just unimpressed by the cooling or something?

my temps at idle were 45 degrees before the mod, my temps under load peak at around 61 degrees celsius. I think its just that the Albatron cooler doesn't allow air to pass through the top of the heatsink. I will post pictures tommorow to show you what im talking about

My cooling mod is better.

DSC00451.sized.jpg

Never checked load, but idle went down 8-10C, and chipset went down 8-10C too. Gotta love that.

tsuehpsyde said:
My cooling mod is better.

DSC00451.sized.jpg

Never checked load, but idle went down 8-10C, and chipset went down 8-10C too. Gotta love that.
i don't know dude, my idle temp went down about 10-12C and load went down 20, so it can't be too much better.

here are some pics of my Albatron 7800GT with this mod done to it. You can see the design of the heatsink fins, this is why I think this mod didn't work too well for me.

7800gt.jpg

7800gt1.jpg
7800gt2.jpg

damstr said:
i don't know dude, my idle temp went down about 10-12C and load went down 20, so it can't be too much better.

Oh, I was just being sarcastic. :p Not sure how well it runs compared to this mod, but I do know that mine requires no card disassembly at all, which is worth that 2C difference. And the fact that it's acticely cooling the back memory too = better memory overclocking. ;)

tsuehpsyde said:
Oh, I was just being sarcastic. :p Not sure how well it runs compared to this mod, but I do know that mine requires no card disassembly at all, which is worth that 2C difference. And the fact that it's acticely cooling the back memory too = better memory overclocking. ;)
hmm... wonder if i can do your mod AND the normal mod =P

Those with GTs, how much better are you overclocking after this mod?

The people that have done this mod... Do you leave the stock fan plugged in or do you unplug it?

I checked, and my idle went down 11-12C (its going from 46-47C idle now, was 35-36C before) with the Panaflo mod. Seems to give the eact same results with dual-sided active cooling. Shoulda checked load, but I was feeling lazy and the fan was shipped out today to CCU with my XP-120.

Man I might have to try this out. I really dislike the vid card shroud feeding hot air over my chipset fan, then my case intake fan blowing the air back over the chipset/vid card. So hopefully if I do this mod everything will get blown out the back :p

peleejosh said:
The people that have done this mod... Do you leave the stock fan plugged in or do you unplug it?

I unplugged mine. The noise level went down dramatically. I hooked up the A64 fan to the mobo. As the card's temp goes up the fan speeds up. Fantastic. :)

What screws do I need to remove for the plastic cover? I have a BFG 7800GT. It seems to me I need to remove the entire heatsink first, then remove the very small screws that is attaching the plastic piece.

I think for the BFG you have to take off the entire HSf first and then like you said remove the little screws holding the plastic cover on

So.. that would require the removal of the stock paste and reapplying with new thermal paste?

peleejosh said:
I think for the BFG you have to take off the entire HSf first and then like you said remove the little screws holding the plastic cover on
I have a BFG 7800GTX OC.... would i need to do this as well?

i dont know for sure. If the screws that hold on the plastic cover are visible, then no. But some cards, the screws are underneath the cover. If you cant see the screws on the top, then yes you will have to take off the hsf to get to the screws.

Im going to try this tonight on my evga 6800GT my max overclock without artifacts is 401/1050 so maybe i can get some more out of this card with this.

Well i finished last night i used the fan from my 3200, it droped my overall temps by 4 and i got my card up to 406/1110 with no artifacts im going to see if i can get that higher. I tried zip ties but they looked really ghetto so i used th duble sided foam tape it works great and looks really clean.

This is one of those 'why didn’t I think of that' things..

I went to attach my AMD fan but then remembered I had an unused Spark7+. So I threw that on but used the AMD hsf fan holder to keep the fan wires off of the gpu hs.

With the incoming case air @ 23c
Idle went from 46c to 35c
Never got a true load temp before I added the fan. But checking right after gamming for 2hrs it had dropped to 59. Now it never rises above 50c.

7800gtx.jpg

acroig said:
I unplugged mine. The noise level went down dramatically. I hooked up the A64 fan to the mobo. As the card's temp goes up the fan speeds up. Fantastic. :)

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and came across this thread. Did you notice any change in temp when you unplugged the card's fan? Also, if I did this then could I plug in the AMD fan into the card? I'm not sure how the fan speeds up when the temp on your vid card heats up, I have a DFI NF4 Ultra-D and it will speed fans up when the mobo gets hot, but not specifically the video card.
I have the eVGA version of the card and must warn about the glued down wires for the card's fan. I almost stripped the coating from the wires when I tried to pull them off the plastic cover. Acroig, how did you get them off? Would 99.9% isopropenal (sp?) alcohol work maybe? Thanks and nice forum :D

Back