7800 GT First look and Benchmarks

purgatory

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
71
fallguy said:
Not even close to the 6800GT "all over again". Last time, it was just clock speed tha was the difference. This time, its clock speed, and pipes. Its more like the 6800NU and 6800GT of last gen.

I meant performance/price compared to 7800GTX :p
 

fallguy

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 8, 2001
Messages
3,964
purgatory said:
I meant performance/price compared to 7800GTX :p

Its impossible to tell that from this "review". Why? Because they use a 7800GT clocked at 450/1050. 50Mhz core, and 50Mhz memory faster than stock. Then they use the default speeds of the 7800GTX of 430/1200.

That makes zero sense to me. They use a heavily overclocked GT, and a normal clocked GTX. There are several GTX clocked much higher than 430/1200. Cards shipping even up to 490/1300. Comparing a overclocked card, to a normally clocked card is just silly. They should have either used a GT clocked at 400/1000, or a equally overclocked GTX.

Ill wait for a real review.
 

Terra

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
2,786
purgatory said:
I meant performance/price compared to 7800GTX :p

From that test it sure look like the 7800GT is trailing the 7800GTX very closely, and even gets tied at some benches.
Now if only CPU development wnt as fast as the GFX evolution..but what...we are just gonna have to enjoy what we get ;)

Terra...
 

Terra

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
2,786
Big Fat Duck said:
they dont have any tests running the GT at stock speeds

You mean like all the BGF, XFX & eVGA cards all running at reference speed? :rolleyes:

Terra...
 

Ether

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
187
Looks good to me...solidly better than the X850XTpe...too bad the stock 400/1000 clocks weren't tested.
 

fallguy

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 8, 2001
Messages
3,964
Terra said:
You mean like all the BGF, XFX & eVGA cards all running at reference speed? :rolleyes:

Terra...

Why the attitude? Try some manners.

The fact is, they are using one card, at official stock speeds, and another is overclocked. This makes no sense.
 

purgatory

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
71
fallguy said:
Its impossible to tell that from this "review". Why? Because they use a 7800GT clocked at 450/1050. 50Mhz core, and 50Mhz memory faster than stock. Then they use the default speeds of the 7800GTX of 430/1200.

That makes zero sense to me. They use a heavily overclocked GT, and a normal clocked GTX. There are several GTX clocked much higher than 430/1200. Cards shipping even up to 490/1300. Comparing a overclocked card, to a normally clocked card is just silly. They should have either used a GT clocked at 400/1000, or a equally overclocked GTX.

Ill wait for a real review.


Reviewers use what they have on hand, and if they have a reference GTX then thats what they use. So if XFX clocks there GT at 450/1050 reviewers should downclock it to nvidia specs? Im glad to see reviews with actual retail products, you know the products people actually end up buying.
 

dagon11985

Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
562
fallguy said:
Its impossible to tell that from this "review". Why? Because they use a 7800GT clocked at 450/1050. 50Mhz core, and 50Mhz memory faster than stock. Then they use the default speeds of the 7800GTX of 430/1200.

That makes zero sense to me. They use a heavily overclocked GT, and a normal clocked GTX. There are several GTX clocked much higher than 430/1200. Cards shipping even up to 490/1300. Comparing a overclocked card, to a normally clocked card is just silly. They should have either used a GT clocked at 400/1000, or a equally overclocked GTX.

Ill wait for a real review.

They're trying to demonstrate that with a slight overclock the gt is very comparable to the gtx. A factory oc'ed GT is bound to cost less than a leadtek or msi 7800gtx.
 

fallguy

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 8, 2001
Messages
3,964
purgatory said:
Reviewers use what they have on hand, and if they have a reference GTX then thats what they use. So if XFX clocks there GT at 450/1050 reviewers should downclock it to nvidia specs? Im glad to see reviews with actual retail products, you know the products people actually end up buying.

Yes, they should have clocked it down. And there are more overclocked GTX's, than not. So your last statement doesnt make any sense. They've reviewed a XFX at 490/1300, same MFG. as the GT they "review" in this article.

They should have clocked it down to its default speeds then, or at least added the default speeds. Either use two default speed cards, or use two overclocked cards. It doesnt make any sense otherwise. I have no idea why you dont think the same. Oh well... everyone has their own opinion.
 

dagon11985

Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
562
There is one part of the review where they do take it down a notch , same page where they overclock it to 510/1250.
 

dagon11985

Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
562
I thought with a 4 pipe difference that the gt would not be able to hold a candle to the gtx. Looking at these benches I am starting to think otherwise. I think i'll save myself some money and get the GT in about three weeks once the original price drops a tad.
 

Shifra

Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
640
All GT's are using G70 cores, no native 20pipe version. Its either going to be bios or laser locked, problably bios.
 

Elios

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
7,282
hmm id like to see a review with the GT and GTX at 400 core and 1000 mem on both just to see how much faster the extra 4 pipes are
 

dagon11985

Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
562
" From the channel news we know in certain brands the market price decides in 3199 Yuan this prices positions, this price reveals the card regarding the high end says without doubt has the quite big competitive ability, at least said regarding GeForce 6800 Ultra this former days Wang Zhe Lai, the sexual price compared one word without a doubt is belongs GeForce 7800GT. According to experiences, believes very quick can have the brand pulls the price to the 2XXX Yuan low end attracts the consumer eyeball. "

Apparently according to this the GT is going to acost approximately 395 - 399 dollars.

1 Chinese yuan = 0.12334 U.S. dollars
3199 x 0.12334 = $ 394.56466
 

Render

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2005
Messages
241
wow...ATi has 2 lower prices of x850xt pe now..and this still performs better than it

6800gt is gon be a mainstream card soon?
 

Shifra

Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
640
Asian Dub Foundation said:
can u provide some info on GTs using the G70 core?

I assume you mean that they use the same core; nVidia never had a seperate core cleared by PCI-Sig. They would have to do this to stamp boxes with the PCI Express ready logo if the core were a native 20pipe version. So its either laser locked or bios locked G70s. Not much of a surprise here, will save money initially.
 

Asian Dub Foundation

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
7,940
Shifra said:
I assume you mean that they use the same core; nVidia never had a seperate core cleared by PCI-Sig. They would have to do this to stamp boxes with the PCI Express ready logo if the core were a native 20pipe version. So its either laser locked or bios locked G70s. Not much of a surprise here, will save money initially.

icic thx for the info
 

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
10,451
Can RivaTuner DISable pipes in G70 yet? I probably already know the answer, but...
 

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
4,701
Im gonna need to see more. I have a 2005fpw so 1680*1050 is my native res. Its not worth me upgrading from a 6800GT...its not damnit...its not.

I only have AGP anyway. Nvidia is too stupid to take advantage of that market.
 

=Vector=

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
363
looks like this is gonna be my next card, hurry up and release it already! :D

EDIT:

...the sexual price compared one word without a doubt...

nice translation :D :p
 

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
1,574
OK so the 7800GT was released...But what is that "Power of 3" thing that was due for today?
 
Top