7800 GT and Far Cry

Matas

Limp Gawd
I'm playing Far Cry 1.33 with mine 7800 GT(400/1000) at all settings max; 1600x1200; 4xAA multisampling and 16x AF. There is very low performance (about 20-24fps) in some situations when I'm looking through the binoculars. Do you experience the same?

yeahhhhhhhhh um... whats the rest of your system? For all we know you're runnin a low end system with a 7800GT...

You cant just pick up a top of the line vid card and expect the best performance.

Turn AA to 2X or lower rez to 1280x1024 your settings are obviously to high for the performance you want.

TheGamerZ said:
yeahhhhhhhhh um... whats the rest of your system? For all we know you're runnin a low end system with a 7800GT...

You cant just pick up a top of the line vid card and expect the best performance.

Athlon X2 3800+
DFI LanParty Ultra-D
2x512Mb

Ive noticed the same thing, when using the binoculars. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I have a 7800GTX, 2GB ram, 3500+ and the same thing happens to me.

kre62 said:
Ive noticed the same thing, when using the binoculars. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I have a 7800GTX, 2GB ram, 3500+ and the same thing happens to me.

What fps do you get?

RavenD said:
This could be part of the reason. Max settings and 1GB often dont play together very well.

Not with FarCry, it isn't. Remember, back when FarCry came out, most people were still running 512MB setups. 2GB of RAM today is like 1GB of RAM back then.

I don't know what your problem could be. Looking through the binoculars is fine for me, but I run at 1280x1024.

Easy way to find out if RAM is the issue. Alt-tab out of the game and check Task Manager.

I was lagging on one of the new Onslaught maps in UT2K4, and I alt-tabbed out to see how much RAM the game was taking up. Turned out to be 900+ MB for the UT2K4.exe process alone... :eek: I didn't expect such an old game to tax the system...
Too many unique player models onscreen at 1920x1200, map too big, too many textures... :D

HL2 single player campaign was only 300+ MB in comparison... CS:S is even less, thanks to there being only 4 different player models.

1600x1200; 4xAA multisampling
Do you find you really need 4xAA at that resoultion? I played FarCry at 1280-1024 with 2xAA and 8xAF and looked it plenty good to me and some power to spare. Just saying, try scaling the game's settings back a tad and see how it preforms, might not even notice the difference in IQ.

Man, the speed and timings of the RAM would affect the framerate much more than the quantity of RAM, for farcry. 1600x1200 + 4xAA with all options on is just too much for a 7800GT @ stock in FC. Also, though not as important at this rez, FC is CPU limited, if that 3800+ is at stock, it's probably hungry for more power.

Yaden: yes, you always need AA, even 2X at the highest resolutions helps smooth the jaggies. And 16x AF is a must, especially on a big screen where the textures are easily seen. ;)

werrrd said:
Man, the speed and timings of the RAM would affect the framerate much more than the quantity of RAM, for farcry. 1600x1200 + 4xAA with all options on is just too much for a 7800GT @ stock in FC. Also, though not as important at this rez, FC is CPU limited, if that 3800+ is at stock, it's probably hungry for more power.

Why do you think that 7800 GT can't handle Far Cry at 1600x1200 4xAA 16AF? I get ~45fps on average and expereince problems only with binoculars.

Matas said:
Why do you think that 7800 GT can't handle Far Cry at 1600x1200 4xAA 16AF? I get ~45fps on average and expereince problems only with binoculars.

Yeah that's fine. The fps varies level to level in that game though.

Back