780 ti being bottle necked?

Sunin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2008
920, 3.5Ghz, 12 gig

Tested on gta iv 30% CPU usage but can't maintain 60fps with max settings, which honestly expected I could. Thoughts? Oh yeah 1080p game play.

GTA IV is a poor game to test a GPU on, or PC performance in general because it is a very poor implementation of a console port. I would look at some of the [H] reviews and compare your performance to the same games and settings. If the framerates are drastically different I would say your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. I doubt that any bottlenecking that might be occurring with that CPU is too dramatic, though.

Two things. Game optimization is poor and I would stretch that 920 a little further if you can.

It can do 4.2ghz on air, but doesn't like suspending at that oc

I'll try it on my elder scroll game and see

Tried skyrim and bf2. 60fps and can't get it to drop in skyrim and 100fps in bf2

Skyrim acted like sync was enabled might have to check that out

Skyrim its capped to 60FPS due to the physics engine, when people force editing the .cfg file to skip the fps limit then the physics act pretty crazy. Thats the reason, try with some bench tools, like heaven benchmark and valley bench, also you can try with 3Dmark11 and 3Dmark13 that will work to compare with other people.. As people said GTAIV its the worse coded game for PC ever its a crappy port from xbox360, if you want some playable gaming with GTAIV you should disable HT and force the GPU in control panel to run at full performance, disable vsync in gta IV and just enable a frame limiter. Thats only how i was able to play it in a decent way..

I did firestrike and netted almost 10k

I'll try heavens bench I purchased that as a stress test tool since u can loop it

Ok 1629 on Heaven Benchmark
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit

CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (3500MHz) x4

GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 9.18.13.3523 (3072MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11

Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen

Preset
Custom

Quality
Ultra

Tessellation:
Extreme

Last edited:
That looks about right. My EVGA GTX 780 SC (non-Ti) scores around 1300-1350 using the same settings with an i7-4770 (3.9 GHz Turbo) and 16GB of memory.

Well it's good to know it was the game and not the hardware. Now to play with oc a bit, I saw some 12k fire strikes, which adds 20%. Performance with a Bit of an oc, card only hit 72c during all the tests. The 780 ti is the GIGABTYTE Winforce OC

Last edited:
Skyrim is capped to refresh rate. Mine is 120fps constant. I'm only running 120hz on my 144hz for a bit better color.

GTAIV is CPU bound. Always was. It runs good on the system in my sig.

I'd say one of the most unfortunate elements of that game is the fact that it only "runs good" on a system like yours instead of "running flawlessly, so smooth it's like lard on a crystal pole" ;)

Runs fine on mine with icenhancer. Still mins of 30 fps tho. Smooth tho I guess. It's no the cpu that is needed for the game. It's nothing. Completely shit console port.

It depends on the game. If you like playing corridor shooters, like Crysis for instance, you probably won't see any improvement in performance. But if you play RTS games, RPGs, MMOs, or any large scale online game, a more current CPU will probably be anywhere from 25-50% faster than that i7 920.

Well, yeah, it depends on the game. GTA IV is horribly optimized, it was panned on release and for good reason. It runs reasonably well these days but do not expect to ever max it out. You cannot max out GTA IV on anything pretty much because the game is one of the worst console ports known to man.

To the above post...I agree with your sentiment, some games benefit more from CPU. But I just had to cringe at the description of Crysis as a "corridor" shooter. Crysis was such an open world / mostly outdoor game (by FPS standards), and one of the reasons why crysis 1 and warhead are still better games than crysis 2 or 3. Crysis 1 allowed for a ton of exploration without having closed off level design, while Crysis 2 was much more linear and boxed off. Crysis 3 is much better in that respect but not as good as crysis 1 in terms of level design. Still, love crysis 1. Groundbreaking game in 2007 and I still play it now and then.

Funny I own crisis 1, have yet to play it

I just recently beat GTA IV on PC and never, ever dipped below 60FPS with everything maxed out at 1080P.

Not sure why you would even be having performance issues with it, the game is rather old at this point considering current hardware.

Specs in sig.

I just recently beat GTA IV on PC and never, ever dipped below 60FPS with everything maxed out at 1080P.

Not sure why you would even be having performance issues with it, the game is rather old at this point considering current hardware.

Specs in sig.

isn't comparable.. GTA its heavy CPU bound, even a oldie GTX 560 its far away of what GTA IV can require as GPU power. you are comparing your haswell i5 at 4.4GHZ vs a nehalem i7 at 3.5ghz, thats why i recommended him to disable hyperthreading, GTA IV hate hyperthreading and work awful with it enabled.. thats why you have that huge advantage over him, thats why you can't make a fair comparison between those chips, even at stock without turbo boost you will have way more performance, to be fair at least you should compare your chip at stock speed with a overclocked i5 sandy to 4.2ghz, the jump from nehalem to sandy was huge..

Specs in sig.
There is no way you stayed above 60 or even 50 fps the whole time on max settings though. I have spent countless hours testing that game on various comps and know that is not possible. Even with a 2500k at 4.5 and gtx670 the fps would dip into 50s and even occasionally 40s in spots on the open road. Lowering the res had no impact in those spots as it was always cpu limited. The only way to stay above 60 fps was to completely disable shadows as that setting was by far the main culprit and was just not very optimized.

It's virtually impossible to run GTA IV at "max settings" 60fps.
Since it's a CPU problem it probably stands true regardless of resolution.

The draw/rendering/car quality at 100 will just kill your fps. My stock 4670k is keeping me around 45fps most of the time on the streets.

Maybe some other i5 / i7 at 5+ GHz could hit 60.

Back