7750 Kuma OC - 2nd opinions

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, Im still a little green on OC'ing so I wanted to run this by everybody and make sure it looks alright.

I tried 3.3 but it wouldnt even run the Windows Experience thing-ama-jig so I went down to 3.1 and it hit the BSOD when running Prime95 after 10 minutes. I set ACC (SB710) to AUTO and 3.1 ran fine in Prime for several hours.

I wasnt going to try 3.2 but the benchmarks in Overdrive made a HUGE jump from 3.1 to 3.2 so talked myself into it. Tried the Vcore at 1.385 but couldnt get Prime to run longer than 10 minutes. Gradually increased the voltage and finally at 1.425 it has been running Prime now for the last couple hours along with my surfing online with no problems so Im assuming its ok. How long do I have to run Prime95 before I know for sure my OC is solid?

Also, Im worried about is 24/7 usage. Do you think this is too much voltage for this CPU long term? Temps so far while running Prime and internet browsing have hovered in the 45-49 degree range and never went over 50 that I saw anyway (running stock cooler). I adjusted ONLY the multiplier and voltage and did NOT touch the FSB clock and did NOT touch RAM settings at all. Granted I suffer from severe upgraditus foresee an X3 720 in my future once they get under $100 but I dont want to kill this one prematurely. All I do is internet, games and occasionally a photo edit or two.

Personally I wouldn't worry under 1.5 vCore.

I like to run 24H of small FFTs, Large FFTs and blend
so 72H total of torture

+ OCCT 8H

OK, Im getting some screwy temp readings. I was using the readings off of AMD Overdrive for my original post but when I went into the BIOS I saw that it showed about 10 degrees more at idel than Overdrive was reporting. I downloaded Speedfan and ran Prime95 and instead of 47-50 degree temps, Speedfan was reporting 58-61 degrees! Which one is right?

I found that the max temp for the 7750 is 73 degrees but 60 is too close if thats the what Im hitting. It makes me grit my teeth thinking I ran Prime95 for 5 hours today with my humble little Kuma roasting at 60+ degrees!

I think Ive figured it out. Apparently the CPU on Speedfan is the motherboards reading at the socket whereas the CORE reading is the actual temp of the CPU itself. The core temp from Speedfan is the same as the temp showing in Overdrive. I downloaded CoreTemp and it only shows the core temp which is the same as Speedfan and Overdrive. So.....Im guessing since both Overdrive and CoreTemp only show the temp of the CPU itself, this is the reading I should be watching when overclocking.

That sound about right?

If thats the case then Im back in business with my OC'd Kuma staying between 47-50 under load. Thats actually pretty damn cool if thats the case cause it means the stock heatsink and fan are pretty solid performers in their own right.

go by what AMD overdrive says if you really want to be sure whats right.. but you are correct with speedfan.. but make sure you check which core is which.. because if you have a nvidia gfx card.. then there is also a sensor for the gpu which shows up as core as well..

i typically run Coretemp and speedfan at the same time.. i set the tray icon temp for speedfan to my gpu temp and uncheck all the cpu stuff.. so i just end up using speedfan for the motherboard sensors, hard drive temps and gfx card temps..

Back