775 motherboard with new gfx card

IRML

Weaksauce
looking for advice from smart people

current PC bought around 2008, here are the important bits:

Motherboard.....DFI LANPARTY DK-P35-T2RS S775
PSU................CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
RAM................CORSAIR 6400C4DHX DDR2 8GB (4x2GB)
CPU................Intel QX9650 Extreme Q.Core
GPU................512MB EVGA 9800GTX KO

I think the motherboard has failed, not 100% sure yet but I'd like to plan for replacements / upgrades

money is tight, the processor is a QX9650 which I think is still decent by today's standards and I'd like to keep it if possible which means I would need to buy a new.... old.... motherboard to still support it

I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade the graphics card too, was looking at a GTX680, would this combination of old motherboard and new graphics card work?

also would have to budget for a new PSU if the current one can't keep up with the new components

just wanted some thoughts, is that a stupid way to upgrade or does it sound alright?

I believe that it's stupid to look for a any Socket 775 motherboard when Intel is releasing its Haswell processors and Socket 1150 motherboards in a few months. Since you could "afford" a GTX 680, I would suggest that you save a bit more for a new processor, motherboard, and memory. If you really want to keep your processor, you shouldn't spend more than $100 nowadays for a used Socket 775 motherboard.

The GTX 680 and Socket 775 setup would work, but (depending on the games played) the processor may serve as a performance bottleneck. The Corsair HX620 should work with the GTX 680, but I recommend instead buying a new PSU (like the Corsair HX650 or the Seasonic X650) and either the GTX 660 Ti or the GTX 670 in lieu of the GTX 680.

Last edited:
I think the HX620 should still suit the GTX 680 but as Tiraides noted, the GTX 680 would be limited by that QX9650. Speaking of GPUs, what's the max resolution of your monitor anyway?

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
6) Will you be overclocking?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.

BTW you really don't need a new PSU IMO.

I should mention my current PSU has been in daily use for 4 - 5 years, so perhaps doesn't put out the same power it used to, but if you still think it'll do I'll be very happy to keep it

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
6) Will you be overclocking?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.

BTW you really don't need a new PSU IMO.
I will be using this PC for graphics work which includes 3D modelling, animation, very high resolution image editing and video editing. I'll also do a fair bit of gaming on it

not bothered with overclocking, I have done it in the past but graphics work just seems to find instability more than any stress test can, so I'll probably leave it as is

I have a SATA 3 hard drive already so that would be nice, USB 3 too, firewire and onboard wireless would be nice but I have pci cards for this already so it's not necessary. I just want a decent motherboard basically that does the same things my current one does plus what I mentioned above, though I reckon you guys know more about what makes a good motherboard than I do

Bit cheaper

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-185-EA
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-405-IN
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-556-AS
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-348-CS

Wouldn't worry about the PSU, had that same one running an i7 920 and GTX260 for years without problem which draw more than an ivybridge and 680.

Also have you considered an SSD?
an SSD would be great one day but with price vs size vs reliability they're not an option for me at the moment, I already have plenty of hard drives so can't really justify a new one, the less I have to buy the better

I don't know if you're seeing different prices to me, but I'm not finding those cheaper

I like to buy the top single-GPU card, my 9800gtx has lasted ages, I bought it at a really good time just after the current gen of consoles had settled in, and with the way consoles seem to stagnate PC gaming developments these days it's only started showing its age just recently, I don't know if I can wait until the next gen of consoles to buy a new card though, that could be 1 or 2 years away

I should mention my current PSU has been in daily use for 4 - 5 years, so perhaps doesn't put out the same power it used to, but if you still think it'll do I'll be very happy to keep it
Use it until you can afford to buy a new PSU. However note that you still wouldn't need a 750W PSU since you're not planning on SLI or Crossfire. In fact, your planned setup would still be fine with a good to high quality 500W PSU. Then again, the best bang for the buck PSUs tend to be around the 600W to 650W mark anyway.

I will be using this PC for graphics work which includes 3D modelling, animation, very high resolution image editing and video editing. I'll also do a fair bit of gaming on it

not bothered with overclocking, I have done it in the past but graphics work just seems to find instability more than any stress test can, so I'll probably leave it as is
In that case, swap the CPU for the Core i7 3770 instead:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...s-dmi-650mhz-gpu-8mb-smart-cache-34x-ratio-77
Yes it costs a tad more but it's a tad faster, uses a tad less power, generates a tad less heat, and has a significantly faster onboard video capability. That may come in handy should your main GPU ever dies and you still have your gaming fix. Not to mention the extra PCI-E lanes just in case.
I have a SATA 3 hard drive already so that would be nice, USB 3 too, firewire and onboard wireless would be nice but I have pci cards for this already so it's not necessary. I just want a decent motherboard basically that does the same things my current one does plus what I mentioned above, though I reckon you guys know more about what makes a good motherboard than I do
Since you're not overclocking nor are planning on SLI, you'll be fine with this cheaper motherboard:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

FYI, only SSDs can truly take advantage of SATA 6.0Gb/s. Current hard drives haven't even approached the limitations of SATA 3.0Gb/s let alone SATA 6.0Gb/s.

I like to buy the top single-GPU card, my 9800gtx has lasted ages, I bought it at a really good time just after the current gen of consoles had settled in, and with the way consoles seem to stagnate PC gaming developments these days it's only started showing its age just recently, I don't know if I can wait until the next gen of consoles to buy a new card though, that could be 1 or 2 years away
Either you've been playing really low-end games, only upgraded to 1920x1080 recently, or have very low performance standards but that 9800GTX+ 512MB should have shown its age a long time ago, not recently considering games like BF3, Metro 2033, Skyrim (with HD texture pack), Far Cry 3, Batman: Arkham City, and Assassins Creed 3 came out. Anyway, I still recommend against going with the GTX 680 as it won't make your system last that much longer to justify the price. I recommend sticking with the GTX 670.

it ran arkham city and max payne 3 all maxed out and and the witcher 2 pretty close, so yeah I think it's held up well, the lack of DX11 is probably the most noticable shortfall but then there aren't a huge amount of games out there that make good use of it

thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the 3770 earlier, the motherboard looks ok too

update

got all the bits installed and working, but the PSU makes a hell of a squealing noise when the graphics card is under load, has anyone had any experience of this before?

Back