7700k still the best bang for your buck on the 1151 socket?

So I need to upgrade my 6600k, I can only get it to OC to 4.4, and because of that it bottlenecks my 1080ti. Yes a 4.4oc bottlenecks a 1080ti at 3440x1440, I know this because if I OC my 6600k to 4.6 I can play BF1 for a few minutes before the game/system crashes. At 4.6 I get 90-100FPS, at 4.4 I only get 75-80. I know it seems silly to get a new CPU just for 15-20fps, but that's the world [H] lives in...

Anyways, is the 7700K Kaby Lake still the best socket 1151 option in the $330-$350 price range?

Thanks.

I feel that it is. I upgraded from a 6600k as well. It runs really hot when you get up to 5.0GHz though, so make sure you have some good cooling.

EDIT: Although at this point you might want to wait and see if the upcoming 8600k and 8700k end up being compatible with your motherboard via bios update.

Last edited:
At this point in time I would wait till next month for 8700K.

Hold on. 8700k all the way if it really supports existing z170/270 mobos. You're actually lacking HT more than OC in BF1 btw.

I will be shocked if they do support them. (Considering Intel's track record, anyways.) However, they will have a greater TDP and therefore, will probably not work on a Z170/Z270 boards that are out there now, if they do support them. Really, it comes down to if it is worth the effort for mainboard makers to bother since they are in it to make money as well.

I will be shocked if they do support them. (Considering Intel's track record, anyways.) However, they will have a greater TDP and therefore, will probably not work on a Z170/Z270 boards that are out there now, if they do support them. Really, it comes down to if it is worth the effort for mainboard makers to bother since they are in it to make money as well.

Nope, according to the leaks it will be 95w chips. There was some cmment that z170/270 will support them, so until we get a 100% erified information - I wouldn't want to rush. If the rumors are true - that all will be sweet.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
Nope, according to the leaks it will be 95w chips. There was some cmment that z170/270 will support them, so until we get a 100% erified information - I wouldn't want to rush. If the rumors are true - that all will be sweet.

The only way I can see them being 95 Watt TDP chips is if they are clocked a lot slower than the 7700k out of the box. Well, for those who have a low end cpu on the z based board, I hope for them that is it true. For those with a 7700k or 6700k, what would be the point since they will not be cheap.

The only way I can see them being 95 Watt TDP chips is if they are clocked a lot slower than the 7700k out of the box. Well, for those who have a low end cpu on the z based board, I hope for them that is it true. For those with a 7700k or 6700k, what would be the point since they will not be cheap.
saw 3.8Ghz max base clock, likely higher turbos but that would explain the low TDPs.

Well, I'll be happy if I wouldn't need a new mb for them if I decide to upgrade once they're released. More options is still better than none, right?

Yeah, lack of Hyperthreading on my 2500k is why I stretched for the 6700k when the old system started to die.

It doesn't make as much of a difference in benchmarks as it does in real life gaming, but for me, it was enough of a difference that it was worth the bump in cost.

So 7700k or 8700k in the unlikely event that they can drop into your board. I have a similar board, and if I can go from 4C8T to 6C12T by dropping in a processor, I'll probably do it.

Back