7700k or AMD R 1700 (non x)

Mauler87

Weaksauce
Good Morning All,

I have a dilemma, I have recently done away with my sr-2 board due to epic power usage which is pricey in Australia.

I currently run a 6700k on a gigabyte z170x gaming g1 board, I wish to run 2 games servers (7 days to die and ark survival evolved). I have the option of running a 7700k delidded as my new main rig still in the z170 board and purchase a cheapish z270 to run my 6700k in for the game servers.

Or I have the option to get a ryzen 1700 for a little under $400AUD (7700k is $475AUD). I am not sure if I will run more servers down the track but my main issue is that the single thread performance on the 1700 doesn't really stand up well compared to skylake.

I was wondering what opinions you guys may have on this situation of mine.

I can delid with LCU and using kryonaut on top of the IHS for both skylake chips if that matters.

Thanks.

why not get the z270 for the 7700k? It would give you some extra pci-e lanes, intel optane for the future.
I think the 1700 might be better and cheaper to run the server, it can run more threads.
If you had an old system maybe you could gut some of it and build a xeon server out of it.

why not get the z270 for the 7700k? It would give you some extra pci-e lanes, intel optane for the future.
I think the 1700 might be better and cheaper to run the server, it can run more threads.
If you had an old system maybe you could gut some of it and build a xeon server out of it.

The z170 I have is the flagship for gigabyte it has extra lanes due to a PLX chip. Optane isn't too much of an issue for me as it will probably be financially out of reach in Australia for a long time due to price disparity. I was leaning towards the 1700 as well, I'll just have to get a new AM4 block for it. Reckon this thread can be closed now :) tyvm for your help guys.

In your case, I'd go 1700. At 4.0Ghz they aren't slouches, sure it can be "beat" by Kaby Lake, but that's like saying Kaby Lake beats the old Sandy Lake or even Conroe chips which amounts to jack all when clocked the same. You would benefit from the extra cores for the server side of things while playing.

1700 w/ ECC Ram. Stay tuned for ECC Ram testing on Gigabyte K7 motherboard. I also know there are others testing on other boards.

You should build a 2nd rig with 7700k.

Last edited:
Good Morning All,

I have a dilemma, I have recently done away with my sr-2 board due to epic power usage which is pricey in Australia.

I currently run a 6700k on a gigabyte z170x gaming g1 board, I wish to run 2 games servers (7 days to die and ark survival evolved). I have the option of running a 7700k delidded as my new main rig still in the z170 board and purchase a cheapish z270 to run my 6700k in for the game servers.

Or I have the option to get a ryzen 1700 for a little under $400AUD (7700k is $475AUD). I am not sure if I will run more servers down the track but my main issue is that the single thread performance on the 1700 doesn't really stand up well compared to skylake.

I can delid with LCU and using kryonaut on top of the IHS for both skylake chips if that matters.

Thanks.

Going from a 6700 to either a 1700 or 7700K is hardly an upgrade, it is a situation of do you actually need to upgrade at all or is this just a boredom change?

Going from a 6700 to either a 1700 or 7700K is hardly an upgrade, it is a situation of do you actually need to upgrade at all or is this just a boredom change?
He wants to use the new system as a dedicated server for 2 games, and use his old system to play games.

Good Morning All,

Thanks.

ofcourse single threaded performance is not going to stack up since you have 1.2ghz clock differecne. You would have to do some easy overclocking to push the 1700 to around 3.9(pretty much guaranteed) or 4.0 with little extra tweaking. It should match quiet well to the 7700k in IPC, still wont match it due to it having lower clocks but it will be a big jump in performance.

Especially if you are running 2 servers. Its a pretty well balanced CPU. If you are just doing strictly gaming 24/7 then ofcourse go with 7700k.

You shouldn't really compare 1700 to 7700k in pure single threaded performance. it is a big difference in clock speed. I haven't seen many people that get 1700 and don't overclock it to atleast 3.9 just because it is so easy.

In that case why not a Ryzen 5 1500 220 dollar hex core for the load
I assume that maybe there's an urgency for his build and he can't wait another 4 weeks or so for the ryzen 5 come come out. Maybe even limited availability launch depending on the country he lives in. Some EU countries and Australia sometimes have higher cost and limited supply on initial launch.
Only he has the answer to that question about the urgency of his build.
I suggested that if he had an old pc lying around he could probably build a cheap xeon server out of it.

I assume that maybe there's an urgency for his build and he can't wait another 4 weeks or so for the ryzen 5 come come out. Maybe even limited availability launch depending on the country he lives in. Some EU countries and Australia sometimes have higher cost and limited supply on initial launch.
Only he has the answer to that question about the urgency of his build.
I suggested that if he had an old pc lying around he could probably build a cheap xeon server out of it.

You're spot on mate, I am also happy to wait for updates to the architecture and just run it at what's possible for now. The urgency is only because the 1700 is currently around 50USD cheaper than the 7700k at the moment. Power is another thing as I am charged around 24 US cents per kilowatt hour.

The 7700k would have become my gaming rig and my 6700k would move over to be used as a "server" lol. I have decided on the 1700 due to power cost as well as flexibility, the ability to process videos I may upload of users on the servers mucking around to youtube a little bit faster.

The only thing I am really worried about now is firedaemon assigning threads properly for the AMD.

Back