760 SLI or single 780?

Bladestorm

[H]ard|Gawd
I game at 1440p and currently have two 1.5GB 580's. Performance is still pretty good for the most part, but I'm considering upgrading to two 4GB 760's, or a single 780. Lower power consumption and heat are a big reason why. Any opinions?

I would go with the 780, better upgrade path and awesome card all around. I've seen them on [H] for $595.

Last edited:
GTX 760 2 gig. Unless the 4 gig is only like 20 more per card other wise you're wasting your money at that resolution.

Reason why I'd prefer the GTX 760sli is you will lose a hell of a lot less money when Maxwell comes out and you upgrade. The gtx 760sli 2 gig will run everything maxed at your resolution right now excluding a few titles that the 780 won't run maxed either like crisis 3 etc, moded skyrim, etc...

Single 780 gets my vote. I used to have a pair of 580's as well for 1440p, and I downgraded to a 670 for heat and power consumption reasons. With that in mind, the 780 feels like a true upgrade over both configs in both performance, noise, and heat.

At worst, you can get another 780 in the future. However, the bright side is when you decide to upgrade in the future, you only have one card to unload, versus having two. Less hassle in my book. ;)

760 SLI gets my vote. It's a good deal faster than a single 780. It's even faster than a Titan most of the time, while being cheaper than a single 780.

When it comes time to upgrade, sell one 760 and use the other as a PhysX card. :)

760 SLI gets my vote. It's a good deal faster than a single 780. It's even faster than a Titan most of the time, while being cheaper than a single 780.

When it comes time to upgrade, sell one 760 and use the other as a PhysX card. :)

+1
Truly impressed by my 760s in sli. Much cheaper than the 780 but on par with titan performance. It may limit your upgrade path, but honestly, by the time these two 760s in sli don't cut it (2 or 3 years) You probably wouldn't want to double up old tech. Your probably going to want what ever is latest and greatest that year.

+1
Truly impressed by my 760s in sli. Much cheaper than the 780 but on par with titan performance. It may limit your upgrade path, but honestly, by the time these two 760s in sli don't cut it (2 or 3 years) You probably wouldn't want to double up old tech. Your probably going to want what ever is latest and greatest that year.

You make a good point, and with that I'm sold. Any particular 760 vender/model I should be looking at?

Thanks for everyone's input.

I got 2 galaxy 760's to replace my 480's. What a difference in all games and the massive decrease in noise and heat are a nice bonus. I'd say 30-50% frame rate increase across the board in all my games in 3D Surround. Cheaper and faster than a 780 and no hassle with adapter cables for multi-monitor 3D guys made it a no-brainer for me.

If you do decide on the 760's (which like i said above I think you shouldn't) check out the MSI 760 Hawk. +1300mhz core is pretty dam impressive.

Didn't we just have a thread like this? :p

Anyway, my vote goes to a single GTX 780:
- More RAM.
- Cooler.
- Quieter.
- Lower power consumption.
- Consistent performance (not dependent on SLI scaling).
- Far less dependent on having the latest drivers.
- Quick-switch between Extended/Surround mode works.

If you don't mind tossing all of those advantages aside... GTX 760 SLI will be a bit faster (when SLI scaling is up to scratch in the game in question).

I've tried a single 780 at 1440p and I must say it was pretty damn good for a single card, but it just didn't have enough oomph for my tastes (even overclocked to 1241 core it was 10 fps behind my 690 that has a minimal o/c of 1125 core). I'm still liking my 690 quite a bit and I would recommend one considering how cheap they are now used. I've seen them for under $600 on ebay which is really a steal for the performance they provide. The only downside is the 2GB VRAM limitation.

Ideally though I would wait. See what Maxwell and Hawaii have in store considering they're right around the corner.

^^ That is also true... The new AMD cards that plan to be out in a few months look very promising from the specs we have seen pop up on the next. That is of course assuming they are correct.

Single card options always work out better. I would vote for the single 780 as well. Though I would think holding out for a month or so makes sense as AMD cards might be announced and there may be a chance of price drops.

I've tried a single 780 at 1440p and I must say it was pretty damn good for a single card, but it just didn't have enough oomph for my tastes (even overclocked to 1241 core it was 10 fps behind my 690 that has a minimal o/c of 1125 core). I'm still liking my 690 quite a bit and I would recommend one considering how cheap they are now used. I've seen them for under $600 on ebay which is really a steal for the performance they provide. The only downside is the 2GB VRAM limitation.

Ideally though I would wait. See what Maxwell and Hawaii have in store considering they're right around the corner.

If you can find a cheap 690 then that would be a good option, didn't even think of that. I can only imagine how fast 2 of those beasts are. But the ram the only thing I'd be concerned about. (as you mentioned) Another thing is power draw, how much more juice/heat would 2 760's make compared to a single 780? Plus one super fast card now if you buy the 780, and upgrade say 6 months from now and a nice used 2nd card (if needed) save some $ and still go sli if you want to.

I'd stick to a single 780 anytime your going to have less issues with heat and power consumption then the 760's but if your trying to save a little money and don't mind then I cant really say no two SLI 760's they do perform awesome.

I still say sli midrange cards. Faster than the highend by a lot, cheaper, and will lose you less money when you go to resell. When sli 760 is no longer holding up, sell them and upgrade to the next gen midrange. For $500 for two GTX760 vs $650 for 1 GTX780 that is slower, it's a no brainer.

actually had a friend who bought the two 760 4gb for the price difference and similar "possible" performance options.

he didnt overlcock and do much tweaking with the cards, but out of box single 780 3gb, single 7950 3gb, apparently kicked his 2x 760 4gb ass' WITHOUT question.

i was very bummed and shocked to hear, but thats what he said

actually had a friend who bought the two 760 4gb for the price difference and similar "possible" performance options.

he didnt overlcock and do much tweaking with the cards, but out of box single 780 3gb, single 7950 3gb, apparently kicked his 2x 760 4gb ass' WITHOUT question.

i was very bummed and shocked to hear, but thats what he said

Either your friend has no clue on what he's doing, or there is something wrong with his system. Two 760's will beat a 780 and smoke a single 7950.

personally, I would do the 760s. Too mw thw performance is a lot better. plus, to me, it looks a lot better.

Either your friend has no clue on what he's doing, or there is something wrong with his system. Two 760's will beat a 780 and smoke a single 7950.

Second THIS.

Almost any generation from the x50 or above in SLI will most certainly whoop even a high end single card solution in the Series. Perhaps it was an SLI unsupported game or old drivers which may have lead him to believe 2 x 760's sucked. :confused:

Perhaps it was an SLI unsupported game or old drivers which may have lead him to believe 2 x 760's sucked. :confused:
The fact that this is even a possibility is a major reason to avoid SLI / crossfire. One of many...

I game at 1440p and currently have two 1.5GB 580's. Performance is still pretty good for the most part, but I'm considering upgrading to two 4GB 760's, or a single 780. Lower power consumption and heat are a big reason why. Any opinions?

Single card all day every day. Opens up upgrade paths on the cheap later on and gives you lower power consumption and heat for roughly the same power early on.

I ended up getting two 760's, and I'm pretty happy with them. Sure it's more heat and electricity than a 780, but it's also a fair bit less than my two 580's. The noise reduction is also a very nice benefit. Those 580's were very loud at full load.

Should I be concerned that there's a 10C difference between the new cards?

I ended up getting two 760's, and I'm pretty happy with them. Sure it's more heat and electricity than a 780, but it's also a fair bit less than my two 580's. The noise reduction is also a very nice benefit. Those 580's were very loud at full load.

Should I be concerned that there's a 10C difference between the new cards?

That is normal, considering you are choking one off of air.

Back