75GXP Class Action Settlement, $100 refund if eligible

Probably would had I not thrown away all my dead Deathstars.
So was this concluded to be a controller board IC delamination issue related to heat, or what?

Wooo I have a 75GXP 45GB IBM drive... somewhere. Shit I hope I didnt throw it away. I'd rather take the 15% off anything at IBM.com since I'm looking to buy a thinkpad - the $1500 thinkpad becomes $1300.

Apparently you can't just send them the drive. You have to have an invoice, credit card statement, etc. showing the purchase of the drive.

Who has invoices from drives they bought five years ago?

Q. What if I no longer have a receipt or any other supporting documentation?

A. You must produce a receipt or other supporting documentation evidencing the purchase of an eligible 75GXP hard disk drive, or you will not receive any Settlement Benefits.

Fucking ripoff artists. They are trying to find any way they can to get out of this shit, also I cant get them to accept ANY serials from the drives we have.

>> Fucking ripoff artists.

That's basically the impression I came away with :) I don't qualify for the check either, even though I've had one fail.

I have 2 failed deskstars, both model DTLA-305040 (40gb, 5400 rpm). They don't qualify, even though they're dead and I have the reciepts. Dammit.

Yea it makes ya wonder if the lawyers get a cut if they keep the amount low (as opposed to getting as many people as they can who were fucked by IBM HDs).

Edit: Woo! MWave.com had my invoice from 2001, thats the proof I need for the 15% coupon.

Edit 2: MODS: sticky this thread maybe? Would also make a good front page post.

I know when my Deathstar Died, Me and my friends beat it with a sledge hammer and then ran it over with my friends truck. Fucking peice of shit. It lasted me a whole 3 months tops. Worst. Hard. Drive. Ever.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I know when my Deathstar Died, Me and my friends beat it with a sledge hammer and then ran it over with my friends truck. Fucking peice of shit. It lasted me a whole 3 months tops. Worst. Hard. Drive. Ever.
It would be HILARIOUS if you RMA'd that drive.
IBM rep: "So you were just using it normally, huh?"
You: "Yep, normal wear and tear, alright. It just fell apart, look at it!"

I still have the purchase order for 2x busted 30GB 75GXP drives and the drives itself. Is this refund $100 per drive, or $100 per receipt?

Wow hate to go against the grain and I understand anecdotal evidence....but I still have 2 75GXP's that work flawlessly. Hate to say it but IBM and Seagate are the only companies hardrives that haven't ever taken a shit on themselves on me.

ucsb_otaku said:
I still have the purchase order for 2x busted 30GB 75GXP drives and the drives itself. Is this refund $100 per drive, or $100 per receipt?
$100/drive, but you need to fill out two forms.

you guys are retarded... ok how about we let anybody with no proof of purchase get the the settlement from us? cmon now. this is the only way to do it. it's just too bad you have no sales receipt that you kept or have on archive at the website you bought it from.

They let you for warranty purposes, so why not for this. They know 99% of owners are not gonna be able to dig up an invoice from 5 years ago.

dano1122 said:
you guys are retarded... ok how about we let anybody with no proof of purchase get the the settlement from us? cmon now. this is the only way to do it. it's just too bad you have no sales receipt that you kept or have on archive at the website you bought it from.

Somewhere around here, if I can figure out where it went, I have a couple of pounds of metal, glass, and other materials that pretty conclusively prove I own a 75GXP.

You'd think that would be enough for them. Of course, they don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping and receiving thousands of drives, but hey, if they didn't want to, they could have made a better product or supported it better when all the failures occurred.

I still had a 30GB Deathstar in one of my systems here until just recently, and it's still running in that system after I gave it away (with appropriate warnings about the known unreliability of the drive, of course.) Oddly enough, I've gone through two Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB drives in the system I originally bought it for since then, but that one's kept running...

OMG! we had like 100 of these (30gig ones) go bad in a bunch of 1U systems I have at work... wow... this is good news. lol

shouldn't owning one be proof of purchase enough?

I think they are banking on the fact that most people would not have the required documentation. But that big business for you, find ways around the ethical course of action.

I disassembled mine for magnets, a fitting end to my old deathstar...

How about this:
I own two 15GB 75GXPs that are still running fine to this day; one as a backup drive in my computer, one as the main drive in my wife's system. I originally bought them to run in a RAID 0 setup, though, and did for a couple years! How's that for tempting fate?

Of course, since they didn't fail it'll only net me some free blank CDs with jewel case if I could even dig up the invoice (I've never bought anything from IBM.com and probably won't anytime soon). I've got a ton of blank CDs as it is. I'm not sure I feel like bothering. I almost wish one drive had failed. I could use $100. :D

I got something in the mail, I rma'd myne twice. sent it out, took 6wks to get it back and it died 6days later then rma'd it again. I dont think I needed to send with invoice, but i could be wrong :eek:

revenant said:
OMG! we had like 100 of these (30gig ones) go bad in a bunch of 1U systems I have at work... wow... this is good news. lol

I think cash back is limited to $1,000 per person, so have multiple people send back drives.

I had 3 of em...one died an early death back in 2000 or so...the other 2 got sold off in systems I sold. No idea where they are today.

I have had 3 of the the 30 gig models all go bad and all have been RMAed back to IBM, One of them twice. I know I have the reciept for 2 of them. I beleave I sold 2 of the RMA'ed drives and still have one of them. I'm I still eligable for 3 claims due to the fact that I have reciepts showing proof of purchase? BTW, I just bought a 60 gig Deathstar at a garage sale last Saturday for $5. Yes, it's in perfect working order.

I don't qualify, even though I own three of them. Bastards.

I don't still have proof of purchase. Why do I need to prove I purchased something I'm holding?!

Well, looks like I have 2 harddrives that qualify for this. There is only one problem - they are still in running computers that are being used. I don't think I am going to worry about it, since the drives have been working out fine for quite some time now. If something was going to happen, it probably would have happened before now.

I had one, I dunno where it is now. It was working last time I had it

But it must suck how they require you to have a copy of an invoice form 5 years ago lol....

Seems like they make you work for that 100.00 dollars.. :(

I skimmed through the form and I think you only need either:
1) the serial number on the harddrive
OR
2) a sales receipt

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds like we would only need to produce one: a serial number or documentation. Except cases under 1c.

The Settlement Administrator might request additional information to verify, though. I can't see them allowing only documentation, especially if no serial is listed on the receipt. There'd be no way to determine if the drive had a documented failure without the serial. And with just a serial number, there's no guarantee we bought it new from an authorized seller.

So while it only asks for one, giving both would probably help speed up the process. Submitting insufficient evidence wouldn't automatically disqualify us, they would simply request more proof before deciding. My initial take on it, at least.

I like this FAQ:

Q. Am I being sued?

A. No. This is not a lawsuit against you, and you are not required to respond.

I rma'd one drive to ibm, a 75gxp, and got a 60gxp back... i wonder if IBM can forward the necessary info so I could get a claim. :)

Kleptophobiac im the same way. I rma'd the drive twice and on the second time I got a 60gb 60GXP back. Does anyone know what I do?

Edit - Also the last time I got it back, it had a hitachi logo on it i believe, i wonder if that matters any.

Ruffian998 said:
Edit - Also the last time I got it back, it had a hitachi logo on it i believe, i wonder if that matters any.

Hitatchi Global Storage Technology bought IBM's HD division (and all their liabilities apparently). They're also the ones who made the "Get Perpendicular" video.

HAHAHAH THIS IS GREAT~!

I feel kinda sad that my 20GB is still running, it was a great drive. No need for me to take IBM's money.

So let me get this straight.

If I had a drive fail on me, have the receipt, but did not request an rma or have a record in IBM's technical support I am not valid for the $100?

Does this mean I have to submit wanting the "benefit" discount, instead of the $100? There's no way I could send in the drive or something to prove it has failed?

:(

Spetsnaz Op said:
HAHAHAH THIS IS GREAT~!

I feel kinda sad that my 20GB is still running, it was a great drive. No need for me to take IBM's money.
If you still have a running drive, you still can get stuff. Get the pack of 25 cd-r's and back up ;)

Got three of them in the mail today... must search... history... :(

Nice. I'm going to check mine tonight and see if I'm elligible. I RMAed it several years ago and it died a couple of years later, but I kept the drive around for some reason. Now I just have to dig the receipt out if it's elligible.

I have two of them. And since they were for business use I still have all of the documentation and reciet\pts for them.

Yay!

Back