750hp Mercedes SLS Electric Car

this is amazing too bad it can only go about 200 miles without recharging it.

Electric sports cars are the future. Full torque at zero RPM, talk about fun!

I really really want a Tesla Roadster.

I really really want a Tesla Roadster.

Yeah, but a Tesla tops out at under 130mph and a full throttle run / getting on it just eats the juice like crazy. A day of "fun" is over pretty quick when you have to recharge after an hour of horsing around. :(

Chris Harris and the entire drive series of videos are both very good.
Even at way less than 200 miles of hard driving you could have a LOT of fun with this car, though the Tesla Roadster would've been a lot more accessible to the everyday person. Maybe as they depreciate....

its nice but i still think they need to take the approach the volt did, small gas engine so you can use the car every day without the range anxiety , or better yet hydrogen

No amount of torque and power can replace the vibrations and sound of a beautiful gas engine in high revs. I don't care how fast it is if all I hear and experience are the squeaking of tires and buzzing of el.engine.

While I understand the desires behind a finely tuned high horsepower gas engine, acceleration is still acceleration. Having it under your foot still would be awesome.

Anyone ever notice that it seems when a British Gearhead tests a car, the more powerful the car, the wetter the track...

Conspiracy theory?

You be the judge...

:)

I dunno. I still say if I ever hit the Lotto there's gonna be a big, honkin' Bentley Continental GT in my driveway very shortly thereafter :) Damn, there goes that wood again.

My car gets 300(ish). Not that far off...

Yeah, but a Tesla tops out at under 130mph and a full throttle run / getting on it just eats the juice like crazy. A day of "fun" is over pretty quick when you have to recharge after an hour of horsing around. :(

Who the hell goes 130? I won't drive my car faster than 80MPH. Why is top speed such a big deal to people?

its nice but i still think they need to take the approach the volt did, small gas engine so you can use the car every day without the range anxiety , or better yet hydrogen

People who tout hydrogen over electric as the "next big thing" don't know what is involved in building an infrastructure, distribution, and storage network around a new fuel, especially one with as small molecules as hydrogen. And how are you going to make that hydrogen? Oh, yeah, that's right. Burning fossil fuels.

No amount of torque and power can replace the vibrations and sound of a beautiful gas engine in high revs. I don't care how fast it is if all I hear and experience are the squeaking of tires and buzzing of el.engine.

HA. Have you ridden in a Tesla Roadster? That thing sounds incredible revving up. And believe me, when you're pressed into your seat harder than an Audi R8, you'll be sold.

Have fun visiting your friend or family who live 210 miles away.... :rolleyes: Once the battery is drained, you're done for the day or possibly weeks just because you can't find a electric charging station nearby. That is why it's a huge deal when it comes to range with electric car.

We need to find a technology that allow us to charge the battery faster than we can drain it.

he keeps going on about how complicated it is...

but as an IT worker... it's just a bit of battery, 4 motors and some programming, no?

nothing like a reciprocating piston engine and transmissions and differentials...

Have fun visiting your friend or family who live 210 miles away.... :rolleyes: Once the battery is drained, you're done for the day or possibly weeks just because you can't find a electric charging station nearby. That is why it's a huge deal when it comes to range with electric car.

We need to find a technology that allow us to charge the battery faster than we can drain it.

And that's why you take the extra few seconds to actually look up charging stations? It's really not that difficult to put a little more effort into the planning stages of a trip. Gas won't be around forever, so come up with a better solution instead of touting the negatives?

Have you ridden in a Tesla Roadster? That thing sounds incredible revving up. And believe me, when you're pressed into your seat harder than an Audi R8, you'll be sold.

I haven't ridden in one, but I've been around more powerful ones. Yawn.

A cheaply tuned Fiat diesel also kicks me into the seat, but, yeah, couldn't care less. There is so much more to driving than hard performance numbers.

And that's why you take the extra few seconds to actually look up charging stations? It's really not that difficult to put a little more effort into the planning stages of a trip. Gas won't be around forever, so come up with a better solution instead of touting the negatives?

a battery standard with standard mechanism for replacing batteries...

that way you just swap instead of refuel...

It's good news that people are getting excited about electric... they are fun to ride IME, but no I've not ridden these super fast ones... I love to see more progress here, and hope my car is electric... thankfully I don't need to drive very far in one go

yep but for me, i would want to go from cal to vegas without recharging along the way

I would be on board with electric cars, my only problem is where the hell am I going to recharge. I live in Texas and I can find a gas station at nearly every corner.

I don't suspect most gasoline engine @ 750hp will get much better than 200 miles on a 12-15 gallon tank anyways.

Yes, but the difference is, I stop at a gas station and, in less than 10 minutes, my day of crusing continues. An electric car is off the road for 12 - 14 hours once the batteries are down. That blows. :(

HA. Have you ridden in a Tesla Roadster? That thing sounds incredible revving up. And believe me, when you're pressed into your seat harder than an Audi R8, you'll be sold.

Yes, several times, still not impressed. I suppose if you are used to cars with average horsepower, you would be impressed. Trust me when I say, if you are just going to Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings, doing a little cruising and then driving home....that 12 - 14 hour charge seriously ruins your day.

If you live close to Vegas, let me know, I'll get you a ride in two separate Roadsters, (one is for sale for $93k with less than 500 miles on it) and you can see how thrilled you are then.

"you made a time machine? out of an SLS?"
LOL
Trying to fiigure out how to raid the 401k as we speak ;)

Sure, beacause I'd love to swap out the 2 week old battery in my new car with one that is 3 years old and starting to fade. Of course once my car is a few years old, I'd be glad to offload my battery on someone else by swapping it for a newer one :)

The faster you charge batteries, the quicker they wear out.
Barring some breakthough, I don't see this happening.

You know what they say! There is no replacement for displacement of course now you have small(er) engines with force induction.

I dunno. I still say if I ever hit the Lotto there's gonna be a big, honkin' Bentley Continental GT in my driveway very shortly thereafter :) Damn, there goes that wood again.

8 city / 14 highway mileage w/ 24gal tank, no thanks.

People who tout hydrogen over electric as the "next big thing" don't know what is involved in building an infrastructure, distribution, and storage network around a new fuel, especially one with as small molecules as hydrogen. And how are you going to make that hydrogen? Oh, yeah, that's right. Burning fossil fuels.

Current infrastructure can be used now. It's much more developed than you think.

I can't see battery powered sports cars ever getting close to the practicability of a comparable conventional sports car - they're always going to take a long time to recharge the battery.

I could see a hydrogen sports car doing it though, just because having a liquid fuel tank is much better than storing energy solely in heavy batteries.

btw does anyone else giggle when electric cars are advertised as emission free?

Yes, but the difference is, I stop at a gas station and, in less than 10 minutes, my day of crusing continues. An electric car is off the road for 12 - 14 hours once the batteries are down. That blows. :(

Something tells me that if you can afford a $400,000 toy, you can probably afford to own gasoline-powered cars for those long-distance highway cruises. ;)

Screw that. They just need to start implementing fast chargers. 99% of the time you charge at home, overnight, but there's that 1% of the time where you need to drive for longer than your range is. There's no reason why you couldn't charge most current automotive lithium ion batteries in 15 - 20 minutes, to 80-90% SOC. Heck. You can build your own electric car and the batteries available now, that you can order off the internet and have on your doorstep in a few days, will charge that fast without a problem. If you've got a direct DC power supply to do it, and deep enough pockets to afford it. Batteries are still to expensive. The lifetime cost is pretty close to the same as an ICE car, but the upfront cost puts a lot of people off.

Electric cars can also be a lot better is a lot of ways. Quiet, powerful, independent motors for the torque vectoring that this car uses, full torque at 0 rpm, only a single gear ratio is needed in the tranny, unless you want to go over 120MPH or so, regun ( It won't get you much extra range, but you will only ever, really need, your friction brakes in emergency stop situations). Cuts dependance of foreign oil. The list goes on and on.

The only real hold back now is the cost is too high, the range is a little less than ideal, and they haven't implemented fast charging yet. All of these things will likely change in the next 10-20 years. It's likely in that time frame, they'll reach price parity with an ICE car, or even cost less.

That kind of range is absolutely nothing to sneeze at considering the nature of the car.

Very impractical technology for a daily driver, but as a secondary, I really find it hard to think of anything better than a simple combination of an electric motor and a battery.

On the subject, John Carmack actually talks about how much he enjoys his Tesla compared to his 1,200 hp+ Ferrari F50. The latter is dramatically faster when you can get a good long stretch to get it spooling up, but the Tesla's instantaneousness is just more fun. It's kind of a shame, though, that it isn't AWD: giving the ability to actually distribute that much torque across a greater area at once would really put it into the stratosphere in terms of off-the-line performance.

Yes, several times, still not impressed. I suppose if you are used to cars with average horsepower, you would be impressed. Trust me when I say, if you are just going to Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings, doing a little cruising and then driving home....that 12 - 14 hour charge seriously ruins your day.

If you live close to Vegas, let me know, I'll get you a ride in two separate Roadsters, (one is for sale for $93k with less than 500 miles on it) and you can see how thrilled you are then.

Except it doesn't take that long at a charging station. I don't exact figures and it largely depends on the size of the battery, but think 30 minutes to an hour for a standard car. So You drive 280 miles, which is about 4 hours, then stop at a service station to plug in. While you car is charging go eat lunch and it should be mostly charged by the time you get back.

http://www.dailytech.com/Tesla+Moto...Charging+Network+for+Model+S/article27772.htm

They are looking at 100KwH - 120KwH charging stations.

he keeps going on about how complicated it is...

but as an IT worker... it's just a bit of battery, 4 motors and some programming, no?

nothing like a reciprocating piston engine and transmissions and differentials...

This. Motor controls like they were talking about have existed for quite some time. It's what i do for a living, repairing and updating industrial controls, focused on drive technologies. The reason this is so amazing to most gear heads, is that you cannot easily (or in some cases at all) do some of the neater tricks. Having each wheel individually torque controlled would be nigh impossible with a mechanical system. But that is dead easy with any modern electric drive.

Who the hell goes 130? I won't drive my car faster than 80MPH. Why is top speed such a big deal to people?

What are you? an 80 year old woman? no faster than 80..hah clearly have never driven in Atlanta.

As for EV's..meh so what. The whole "but but the Torque" argument is perpetuated by idiots who forget that ultimately a car can't apply that torque to the pavement any faster than tires allow it. Gas sports cars are quite fine at maximizing that. Ev's offer nothing except a terribly inferior experience.

Except it doesn't take that long at a charging station. I don't exact figures and it largely depends on the size of the battery, but think 30 minutes to an hour for a standard car. So You drive 280 miles, which is about 4 hours, then stop at a service station to plug in. While you car is charging go eat lunch and it should be mostly charged by the time you get back.

http://www.dailytech.com/Tesla+Moto...Charging+Network+for+Model+S/article27772.htm

They are looking at 100KwH - 120KwH charging stations.

The only problem with that? Here's how many of those chargers are around...everyone else has to charge at home. :( I hang out with two Tesla owners weekly, one is selling his after putting less than 500 miles on it.

Seriously, I drive a 550hp+ car that gets 5mpg in town and even I wouldn't own a Tesla because of the limited range you can drive the vehicle before "refueling."

Back