75% of In-Game Marriages End in Divorce

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you know that seventy five percent of in-game marriages end in divorce? People get married in video games? I'm not an expert but I think both parties might simply have too much in common.

The game-makers (and matchmakers) at online-game site Nexon tell me that of the 26,982 in-game marriages that have joyously occurred in a game called MapleStory, 20,344 have ended in divorce.

Last edited:
Why does the body of this article contain bolded letters that when arranged in order spell "penis"?

Why does the body of this article contain bolded letters that when arranged in order spell "penis"?

Nice, you take the first post in a thread just to ruin the subliminal message. Coal in your stocking this year...

I'm sorry but, these kind of stories make me want to throw my computer out the window. Getting married in a video game should have a fist come out of your monitor and sock you in the jaw.. Talk about pathetic.

No bolded letters in my browser...I think your subconcious may be trying to tell you something.

At first I thought this story would be about marriages where people initially met in-game...but then it turned out to just be in-game marriages and nothing IRL. So, shocking that something you invest nothing into gets tossed aside quickly.

I'm sorry but, these kind of stories make me want to throw my computer out the window. Getting married in a video game should have a fist come out of your monitor and sock you in the jaw.. Talk about pathetic.

I married my Emperor Ssraeshza mount in Everquest.

Nice, you take the first post in a thread just to ruin the subliminal message. Coal in your stocking this year...

My thoughts the same, I felt it was pretty genius until it was ruined by the first post in the thread lol.

People get married in video games?

Yeah, they do. Funny, isn't it.

I guess you saw the Portal level designed for a proposal...?

"You can say no... I'm sure he'll get over it... eventually."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SdYz7cq04

While it looks like our players break up at a much higher rate than people do in real life, at least our players are not on the hook for alimony. Couples who break up are not required to split up their loot, virtual pets or any enchanted items."

Oh, wouldn't that be fun.

Getting married in a video game should have a fist come out of your monitor and sock you in the jaw

lqtm, it probably would.

Interesting..so fake marriage too a likely dude in drag has about the same divorce rate as RL. :p

Everyday I read the news on [H] it gets weirder and weirder...

Steve you find the most weirdest things on the internet...

lol...

Yeah, they do. Funny, isn't it.

I guess you saw the Portal level designed for a proposal...?

Yes (we posted on it) but they were married in real life. I was talking about married IN a game. ;)

Everyday I read the news on [H] it gets weirder and weirder...

Steve you find the most weirdest things on the internet...

lol...

Be thankful we don't do the "SURPRISE" links anymore ;) Damn...I miss those.

Oh so clever steve

:D says the man named weenis!

I have two characters happily married in that game... Although one got banned for hacking :)

Finding out you married another dude, does take some of the romance out of a virtual marriage. Or so I've heard.

Sadly it just proves the point conservatives make that gay people don't take marriage seriously. We know this fact because all gamers are dudes.

you mean some actually work?? Well, that's better odds than I have meeting women in real life.

Seriously, why the fuck would people marry a video game character? How fucking pathetic is that? Yeah, not very surprising that it would end in divorce.

And WTF is MapleStory? Korean / Chinese MMO?

Its a 2-D MMORPG developed in Korea, it was a big hit in Asia and several years ago, Nexon America started the Global Maplestory (GMS) for North America and Europe. In fact, it was so successful that recently, Nexon begin limiting Global Maplestory to North America only and they started a new service (EMS) for the European community :eek:

Did you know that seventy five percent of in-game marriages end in divorce? People get married in video games? I'm not an expert but I think both parties might simply have too much in common.

And I bet Nexon loves it.

It takes a lot of real cash to get married in-game (the stupid in-game wedding ring and all), and the more these retards do it over and over again, the more money Nexon gets. :D

75%?! :eek: This calls for a new class!... Divorce Attorney :D Forget farming for gold. Of course she's of the relatively new (in game anyway) Gold Digger class. :p

She marries you, and then takes half the inventory, gear, gold, and the rest of your crap. Then there's the never ending grind to pay alimony. :eek:

Better make a secret backup account quick & unload your goods before she goes through your main account. ;)

Must really suck if you're a guild master...talk about pissing off the guildies when she takes the guild house, and if you're lucky lets you keep your mount.

Sims should take this to the extreme level. You have kids, so there's custody battles & child support, dead beat dads, battle axe nags, all the real life aspects of dating/marriage/parenting, both good and bad. Oh yeah, add in STDs, breaking condoms, having to remember to take BC pills :)eek::eek:PS), and all those other things that can bring about little (or big) surprises and all the real life dangerous stuff out there (then they could market it as a health education game hehe)! Maybe a few youngsters would get the message when their toon gets preggers at that wild frat party, maybe gets a curable STD, or maybe gets herpies, and later dies on AIDS :p ...yeah, maybe it could happen...if they're not totally brain dead, meaning they probably won't. :(
Only then can they call it a true dating sim. :D

Okay, maybe I got a little crazy here, but it was fun. :D

No bolded letters in my browser...I think your subconcious may be trying to tell you something.

At first I thought this story would be about marriages where people initially met in-game...but then it turned out to just be in-game marriages and nothing IRL. So, shocking that something you invest nothing into gets tossed aside quickly.

Looking at it like that, its kind of impressive that 25% don't fail then.

I think you're taking it too seriously, which is exactly what they aren't doing. There's a lot of 'married' people on Facebook that just do it for shits and giggles. This is probably the same thing.

Now, if someone loses half of their gold when they get divorced, that would make it more interesting. o.o

You know the average age of the person who gets married in maple is 16, right? Do you really expect two 16 year olds to get married and to know ANYTHING about what love REALLY is? Some of these people manage to find a new gf every few weeks, and the instant they dump one person or someone is about to break up, another person INSTANTLY falls i n love with them. It's just a complete boob fest.

The ones most likely to stay together are adults, and some people who met through maple have actually later married IRL. The problem is, these kids (assuming they see the girl's picture) simply try to fall in love with her if she's hot, marry, and then realize they have absolutely *NO* idea in the world how to meet that person in real life, nor what it takes to plan such a thing.

Seriously, why the fuck would people marry a video game character? How fucking pathetic is that? Yeah, not very surprising that it would end in divorce.

Well, it is typically MMOs, and when it started it wasn't the REAL people getting married. It was their 'in game' characters marrying each other. In MMOs your character used to have to be provided food, drink. housing, basically it was trying to simulate the idea of life in the middle ages, but with dragons and less disease. People weren't marrying each other, they were pretending that their in game characters had married each other.

Basically, MMOs - some people play 10 games over the span of a year, but an MMOer plays that 1 game all year long. They put in the same hours per week, but since it's all in 1 game they start to fall into the habit of going out and doing things with the same group of other people. Then because their in game character spent so much time together they'd do a little pretend wedding that the two in game characters wed each other.

Would I do it? No. Would you ever find me decorating a house in game? No. Do I read the in game storyline? No, not really. Some people though - they read the story, they read what that NPC tells them, they decorate their in game house, and they have their in game character marry other in game characters because their imagination runs away with them.

Seriously some people who thinks marrying a video game character or something that is non human needs a reality check, I can't believe even some people allow this shit to happen.

Seriously some people who thinks marrying a video game character or something that is non human needs a reality check, I can't believe even some people allow this shit to happen.

Don't be silly, the Emp Ssra horse was the fastest in game for a long time! You would have married that beautiful animal too.

Back