75" LG LED TV - 75UJ675V as PC monitor - how to setup (clear fonts and good FPS)

petar_b

n00b
I decided to write short how-to so that others don't waste time like me making this LG TV PC friendly. I don't use any windows scaling and the FPS should be as on my desktop monitor (Philips 40").

According rtings.com 75UJ675V is 2017 LCD RGBW model, this one manufactured in 2018. According the "lag list" this TV must be a better performer than what I got out of the box: low FPS, unclear font edges, noticeable lag even when scrolling MS Word.

(1) To change on the TV:
- remote control "settings" -> "general" -> HDMI 1 -> "(ultra HD) deep color" enable to be able to use RGB in nVidia CP.

(2) To change on nVidia CP:
nvidia CP -> Display -> Change resolution -> (select your TV, not your pc monitor) -> section 3 -> output color format -> "RGB" (don't use CYbCr444,442,420)

So now with RGB settings Chroma test pattern was "better", lag gone, fonts better.

Summary - "Life is Good" - but also with Sony and Samsung. There are good examples of pixel patterns on www.rtings.com to check before buying anything.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this post. I included your corrections here.

======

PS:
- Irrelevant for FPS and clarity: Renaming input to PC, power saving, eye comfort.
- Limited dynamic range is technically correct but image looks better with Full Dynamic Range.
- LG specs about RGBW ( 2880 RGB pixels + 960 W pixels = not UHD ) [Luke M, you're right, not UHD actually !].
- Here's a nice article (google translate) to explain which LG models have RGBW panel.
- This article clarifies all RGBW things.
- Chroma 4K Test pattern is here
- TV supports both : 3840x2160 and 4096x2160. TV Specs say that 3840x2160 is native. I use 4096x2160 [Tweak155 - tested both as you asked, same FPS and clarity.
- 59 and 49 FPS on Rise of the Tomb Raider Benchmark "high" and "very high" settings. 2x GTX 1070 SLI 4K [Burticus - that's what I get in this game].
- Thanks to "Display Fusion" for reliable monitor config and quick resolution change tool.

Photos: Philips monitor vs LG TV - 4K test patterns
20180929_163744.jpg 20180929_160939.jpg

Photos: Reference image (Philips) vs half dynamic range (LG) vs full dynamic range (LG)
Reference_Philips_Image.jpg Half_Dynamic_Range_LG.jpg Full_Dynamic_Range_LG.jpg

Last edited:
I notice in your picture you have selected 4096x2160 (true 4K) whereas the monitor (and likely the TV as you can see the word Native) was likely in 16:9 4K which is 3840x2160. Have you tried this resolution? I could see this impacting both your FPS & clarity.

EDIT:

I just noticed you fixed this problem, but it's still odd to me you have a higher resolution selected.

Avoid the small LGs, they use crap RGBW (half resolution) panels.

Sony and Samsung are safe choices for PC use.

Back