74% of Netflix Subscribers Would Rather Cancel Than See Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can believe these numbers because, when you get used to a subscription service that charges $10 a month for no ads, you would naturally be upset if ads were added to that service. Hulu added a third tier to its service that charges a premium for no ads and that was supposed to give it a revenue bump and help it catch up to Netflix. Obviously that plan doesn't seem to be working out very well for Hulu so far.

So where’s a streaming company to find new profits in a tight market? According to some people, the answer is for Netflix to start showing ads, like competitor Hulu does. That would give the company new revenue streams without forcing them to raise prices. Of course, there’s a group of stakeholders that’s still left unaccounted for here: Netflix’s customers. We decided to ask them about the issue.

No f-ing way. Unless they dropped their subscription price or vastly expanded their catalog.

I understand the stock market wants them to show continued growth, but it's not as easy as just adding ads to everything like a lot of companies seem to think. People are sick of ads.

They could do what a lot of the networks have done and streamline he ads into the original programming. Ford is a heavy contributor to this, I see the character randomly talks about the features of the new car in so many shows, it's clearly an ad, but it doesn't take you out of he show.

Anyone remember when cable TV was marketed as not having ads(yes, that was a thing at one point)? Obviously not everyone will put up with it, but lots of people will.

Yeah...I would probably cancel as well. They've raised the price a few times with really no major increase in selection or improvement of service, so I don't think they can justify ads.

I don't think I would mind banner ads or something of that nature on the site, but video ads...fuck no.

I'll cancel if they start showing ads. I pay extra on Hulu to get rid of the ads - my wife watches it a lot and likes it.

YEa, if your already paying to NOT have commercials and they introduce commercials..

Seriously.. Commercials SUCK.

I hate ads. Honestly I often watch shows on netflix instead of TV just because I can't stand commercials. My wife and I are both ready to cancel TV when our contract is up and just buy seasons on iTunes because we can't stand the ads... (We also don't have hulu in Canada...). I suppose if netflix goes the Ad route I might as well cancel that as well and just buy TV seasons. I used to download (or create) rips of movies I purchased in large part because I could skip the intro crap, trailers, menu, piracy warning etc.

Netflix has to know it's a bad move that'll get serious backlash and bad press.

I pay extra on hulu to not watch adds.. I would be super pissed if Netflix started using them at the same price point. Or didn't at least offer one that's add free..

I successfully cut the cord 2 years ago and live purely on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and buying seasons for shows I can't get on streaming. The moment Hulu offered the no commercial plan. It was like heaven and I had no issue paying the extra $4 p/m for that. Though some of the shows come up as not part of the no commercial plan and you get an ad before the show starts and after which isn't bad. I would be okay with controlled ad placement like this on Netflix. Like one (and only one, no longer than 30sec) before the show starts and/or one before you start the next episode in a season.

But if Netflix does go full ad-tarded, then I will walk away from it and never look back. Nothing is more infuriating than when you reach that good part of the show and then Bam!!!! 2 mins of ads for shit I could give two craps less about and would never buy interrupts my viewing enjoyment.

This is common sense no brainer. I don't mind them offering ads for discount in price for the penny pincher's as long as we have choice.
When Hulu launched years ago, I kept signing up and canceling their free trial every time I put in the feedback "will pay for NO ads". So when they finally added their No Ads tier I signed up to pay.

I'm not super against commercials, but yea.... no. I don't want another hulu. Not that I have netflix right now anyway. I just don't watch enough of anything.

Don't use Netflix anymore nothing to watch.SOS Don't watch tv any more .

I don't have netflix. But $10 is pretty much what services like HBO cost. It would be beyond stupid to have ads.

That is the reason I canceled Hulu I could not stand the adds. We have gotten to where we do not watch that much Netflix, There is also a lot of cross over in library's between my Amazon Prime video and Netflix.

If netflix puts in adds I will cancel the same day.

Anyone remember when cable TV was marketed as not having ads(yes, that was a thing at one point)? Obviously not everyone will put up with it, but lots of people will.
It never was, cable was initially to allow people to watch the broadcast networks when they didn't have good or any OTA reception. It then added additional networks, some which were premium and ad-free like HBO and some which were ad-supported like TBS.

They could do what a lot of the networks have done and streamline he ads into the original programming. Ford is a heavy contributor to this, I see the character randomly talks about the features of the new car in so many shows, it's clearly an ad, but it doesn't take you out of he show.
Yea. I was hoping Pepsi would pitch a remake of the movie Outbreak. You know, the one with Renee Russo and Dustin Hoffman? Anyway, instead of the Monkey being the cure, a fresh can of Pepsi can save the world.

So this means netdix is about to raise its prices ?

Fuk you again netdix, first you cut off my vpn service to american netflix and now you plan on charging for not showing ad's.

Fuk you again.

When my free uhd streaming year is up, no fucking way am I re-subbing

I would rather sign backup to usenet with the saved money and start raping them instead.

UK netflix is shite compared to the states, yet for the top package its £8:99 month, I didnt mind that since I could vpn and watch us netflix, but their anal blocking which is SO easy to bypass just pissed me off and now they are probably goint to raise prices because 74% of 1200 american people with access to american netdix said, we dont want ads and we would be willing to pay more for it.

Thats ok and I agree in general, but thats because they have american netflix, rest of world netflix is shite compared to the us catalogue, trust me on that, sky tv has way more content and crazy amounts of on demand.

After being a subscriber for years and getting a free uhd year stream when I got my uhd tv, once thats up then me and the bitch that be netflix getting divorced.

Hulu without ads interested me, until I read the fine print. No ads, except on... everything I wanted to watch.

Fuk you again netdix, first you cut off my vpn service to american netflix and now you plan on charging for not showing ad's.

Fuk you again.

I would rather sign backup to usenet with the saved money and start raping them instead.

UK netflix is shite compared to the states, yet for the top package its £8:99 month, I didnt mind that since I could vpn and watch us netflix, but their anal blocking which is SO easy to bypass just pissed me off and now they are probably goint to raise prices because 74% of 1200 american people with access to american netdix said, we dont want ads and we would be willing to pay more for it.

Thats ok and I agree in general, but thats because they have american netflix, rest of world netflix is shite compared to the us catalogue, trust me on that, sky tv has way more content and crazy amounts of on demand.

After being a subscriber for years and getting a free uhd year stream when I got my uhd tv, once thats up then me and the bitch that be netflix getting divorced.

The ability you have to leap to conclusions is astonishing.

Fuk you again.

What are fuk and shite? Hip ways to swear in the UK?

Fuk you again.

Also it is not Netflix's fault that they don't have that much content for the UK. That is the media rights holders fucking Netflix and you as the customer. This is the same reason why Netflix has a stale library here in the US. The content providers are the ones that control the deals for what Netflix can and is able to purchase from them to stream to you. So you may want to go tell BBC and Sky to stop rapping Netflix for the content you want to watch.

This is funny, is netflix not making a profit right now? I just can't see why the price has to go up if the selection quality is the same as its always been. If they are making profit than its hard for me to see any price increase or adds as more money in someones pocket.

Never heard of Plex, but a quick search.... how are they comparable?
Plex is movies and shows you want to watch that you load onto a media PC. You can access it anywhere. Much like Netflix without the monthly fee and content that can disappear. It's like your own personal Netflix.

The ability you have to leap to conclusions is astonishing.

You think that netflix wont raise their prices ? You can bet by this time next summer netflix will have raised its prices.

What are fuk and shite? Hip ways to swear in the UK?

What are they ?

Its obvious isnt it ?

Fuk as in ”you dumb fuk" and shite as in "netflix is a pile of".

It is funny that someone from a country which stole and bastardised the english language is trying to pull me up regarding it.

Yes, I remember not having ads when my parents first got cable. The reason people put up with ads being added was because there wasn't really any choice. There are other choice besides Netflix.

I have hardly watched Netflix this year, so I'm thinking about ditching it anyway.

Plex is movies and shows you want to watch that you load onto a media PC. You can access it anywhere. Much like Netflix without the monthly fee and content that can disappear. It's like your own personal Netflix.

You're comparing apples to a banana.

Plex isn't even in the same market as Netflix. Plex's competition would be something like XBMC (KODI) or Windows Media Center.

Sure, then I'll just cancel and torrent their original content too.

Heh, I'm not to worried. When Netflix first started charging for streaming I decided to stay with DVD's (much better content at the time). So I just kept the DVD option since I don't really watch much TV. But if I had the streaming option and they started embedding commercials I'd be cancelling too.

Also it is not Netflix's fault that they don't have that much content for the UK. That is the media rights holders fucking Netflix and you as the customer. This is the same reason why Netflix has a stale library here in the US. The content providers are the ones that control the deals for what Netflix can and is able to purchase from them to stream to you. So you may want to go tell BBC and Sky to stop rapping Netflix for the content you want to watch.

I know its the media rights holders that have put the squeeze on netflix, netflix basically told us as much when they started closing off access to vpn users, even legitimate us vpn users.

But the content providers would not let a good revenue stream like netflix go in a hurry, netflix could of said no and in all probability they would still have the same access as they do now. As they say money talks, aslong as it continued to talk its way from netflix pockets into the media rights owners pockets, shit would still be all good in all liklihood, but who knows.

If you think the US catalogue is stale, then dont even think about logging into netflix whilst on holiday somewhere else in the world, netflix really is bad in the rest of the world compared to what its like in the states.

This is what netflix has done in the UK, it has taken alot of the already free to air on demand services, which is free for the entire uk already and they have stuck them on netflix and charged you to watch them, 1/2-3/4 of the uk catalogue is like that, compared to the states, uk and european netflix is dire.

I'm not going to lie. I'd hate it if they start showing ads and I would definitely consider canceling. But I doubt I would. I'm too much of a media consumer and there is no other alternative like it with that kind of selection. Not to mention they've got the single biggest concentration of actually good original content. They got tons of stand up specials, documentaries, TV shows, and other stuff that's really worth watching that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. I love my comedy and Netflix seems to get behind the really good comedians to produce their specials.

Back