$730 for a new monitor!

EGGO

Gawd
Well, got my tax refund and I want to use about $730 of it to go to a brand new monitor. Right now I'm using a 5 year old 17" Compaq FS740 (and man has this thing served me well, still doing a great job now too).

-I'm a graphic designer professionally, so color accuracy is priority. Hopefully, my monitor will come with a calibrator or something.

-Desk real estate? I think I can only fit a 19" CRT (with about 18" depth) maximum.

-I'd like to buy new, not refurbished or new.

I could've either sprang for the Canon i9900 and get perhaps a calibrator for a monitor, keeping this one (still works great, but after 5 years, I have no idea when this thing can give out of nowhere), but I think it may be best to get a new monitor (that hopefully comes with a calibrator). I was looking at that one Mitsubishi diamond pro 930 monitor, but I'd like to know what you guys would recommend.

=0) Thanks for any help.

For close to that price, buy a dell 2405 LCD panel for $849, it's 24". We have a 89 page thread on it because it is good

Happy Hopping said:
For close to that price, buy a dell 2405 LCD panel for $849, it's 24". We have a 89 page thread on it because it is good

They're poor for color.

The Lacie is a monitor made by Mitsubishi for lacie. It is a step down from the 930sb i recommened above. No reason to get it. It would be stupid actually

EGGO: I'm on my way to Dell's site (Home / Home Office) to pick up a Dell 1905FP. www.tomshardware.com "is alleged" to have reviewed it and during measuring its 'gray-gray' scaling and 'black-black' scaling (with whatever instruments it was, they were using) is alleged to have found them equal to or better than the very expensive top-rated 20" Eizo LCD that is made by Eizo for professional CAD n' Graphics engineers . That Eizo is alleged to have a "10-bit lookup table" (whatever that is). Eizo and a ton of other LCD monitors is sold at www.monitoroutlet.com which had (and might still have it) a "30-Day 100% Refund Policy (no hassle, no excuses needed for returning monitor). All monitors have "Free Shipping". But they warn you that in some areas of country, UPS allows its drivers to leave the package outside your door if no one's home. In which case they warn you that if the pkge then gets stolen by a passing motorist---tough luck, you have lost yer money. (At least, that's what I've heard they say. Dunno if its true).

Anyway, if this Dell 1905fp is good enuff to have such a fine Review, then I'm getting one for a friend. It uses a PVA panel, which some gamers have said is not too hot in games (it has some ghosting in fast shooters) but they also say, its colors are "absolutely georgious".
Right now (until 5:59AM CST this Monday morning) that Dell 19" 190FP can be had with free shipping for about $370 (no Sales tax for most states if you buy at Dell's Home/Home Office division). Dell has 21 Day return policy, no penalty. If you decide to try a 1905fp, use this "30% Off" coupon when you place your order
QGG6H3LKWRNTL2
:D Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on :D

unearth01 said:
The Lacie is a monitor made by Mitsubishi for lacie. It is a step down from the 930sb i recommened above. No reason to get it. It would be stupid actually

What makes it a step down? I don't really trust refurbished products so much, and I was looking for the 930sb with SpectraView (part #DP930SBBKSV) but man is it hard looking for a decent retailer that still has this thing in stock.

puppyfriend said:
Get a 2405fpw for a little more money. I got mine for $760 + tax.

No offense, but they're terrible for what I need them for.

puppyfriend said:
Get a 2405fpw for a little more money. I got mine for $760 + tax.

how did u get it for $760 and when did u order it??

bonds

I can't believe people are recommending the 2405fpw to this guy. They think that since it's a good monitor for most things, that it is the end all monitor for ALL purposes. =\

EGGO said:
They're poor for color.

true compares to Monitors. But in a year or so, monitors will be totally phase out. Not to mention how easy it is for monitors to become defective compares to LCD. I toasted my HP 19" P910, Sony 20 GDM2SE in 6 yr. With LCD, it's last 10+ yr.

In 2 yr., you won't see any monitor.

Remind you CRT color do fade in time whereas LCD doesn't.

I would not rule out LCDs out of hand. I replaced my Mitsubishi Pro with the 2405fpw. I think it reproduces colors better than my old CRT. You can get a color calibrator that works with LCDs. Here's a review of one:

http://www.colorvision.com/downloads/articles/shutterbug0903.pdf

Oh, I got mine a couple of weeks back. Don't deal with Dell here in the US, I sent email to India and they called me back. Dell here wouldn't go below $1179. Dell there was like no problem. They even gave me free 2 day shipping.

EGGO said:
What makes it a step down? I don't really trust refurbished products so much, and I was looking for the 930sb with SpectraView (part #DP930SBBKSV) but man is it hard looking for a decent retailer that still has this thing in stock.

Just lowesr resolution with a higher refresh rate. The 930sb goes a little higher. You can get a 2 year exteneded warrenty on the 930sb

unearth01 said:
Just lowesr resolution with a higher refresh rate. The 930sb goes a little higher. You can get a 2 year exteneded warrenty on the 930sb

Alright, I got looking more into the regular 930 without SpectraView. It LOOKS like the only difference between the two is the SV version has the hood and calibrator. If that's it, then I'll get one and buy a calibrator seperately. I want to see if I can buy it new before I spring for the refurbished from nmselect. If anybody else has any details on where I can find a new one, I'd be thankful. =0)

puppyfriend Get a 2405fpw for a little more money. I got mine for $760 + tax. said:
I would not rule out LCDs out of hand. I replaced my Mitsubishi Pro with the 2405fpw. I think it reproduces colors better than my old CRT. You can get a color calibrator that works with LCDs. Here's a review of one:

Oh, I got mine a couple of weeks back. Don't deal with Dell here in the US, I sent email to India and they called me back. Dell here wouldn't go below $1179. Dell there was like no problem. They even gave me free 2 day shipping.

Hi .. .can you tell me how you did this? Can I get email and few specifics on how you pulled this off! Have to say you got it for the lowest price of anyone I have seen... nice job :p

Thanks!

puppyfriend said:

Yeah i would like to know how you got it for 760 also
PM me if you can

bonds

Back