$700 MAX for a round of upgrades, suggestions?

WalkedAirplane

Limp Gawd
Prefer to keep this around $600, but I'm willing to push up to $700, no higher though.

Not really sure where to take a round of upgrades here, so I'm open to suggestions!

Specs:
ECS 915P-A motherboard
P4 2.8ghz
1gb (512x 2) Corsair RAM
250gb Maxtor HDD (SATA, 7200RPM)
7800GTX
M-Audio Revolution 5.1
Thermaltake 500W PSU

So I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this, but I'm inclined to get a 74gb Raptor, and maybe do something about a new processor / mobo, or perhaps RAM.

Primary uses:
Photoshop (lots of digital photography)
Visual Studio
Gaming

Suggestions?

A processor motherboard and two gigs of memory would do ya nicely. If there is one weak link in your system from my point a view it is your processor...

so the stuff you listed is what you have now?

will that motherboard support a 920d? if so, that's probably where i would go with that.. and get 2x 1gb of ram.. other than that, i don't know what even needs upgrading..

if you really want to spend money. you can get an opteron 165/170, nice nf4 board, and 2gb of ddr.

Hum thats not a bad system. Do not get the raptor, if you need more space just grab another 250GB SATA hd. What monitor, and speakers do you have? I say an Intel 930 if you board can handle it, and another GB of memory.

sempron 3100+ with ECS nforce3-a motherboard - $80 (fry's)
Nvidia Geforce7800gs - $300 (monarch, though ive seen gs go down to the 270 range)
1gb ram $50-$70 (fry's)
200gb harddrive (non-sata) $40 (staples)
orian 500watt ps $30 (mwave)

thats what I purchased recently, thats about $500-520

The best suggestion is to get 2x1gb ram new mobo and a dual core processor of any kind. That is if you want to spend all the cash. If not get a Intel 650 (3.4Ghz) and that will give you an improvement in performance.

Shodin10k said:
sempron 3100+ with ECS nforce3-a motherboard - $80 (fry's)
Nvidia Geforce7800gs - $300 (monarch, though ive seen gs go down to the 270 range)
1gb ram $50-$70 (fry's)
200gb harddrive (non-sata) $40 (staples)
orian 500watt ps $30 (mwave)

thats what I purchased recently, thats about $500-520
Did you even read past the first three words I posted? :confused:

Alright, so processor (potentially motherboard as well), and RAM are the big ones. Larger HDD on top of that.

Already have Logitech Z-5500 speakers and just ordered a 2005FPW :)

edit:
LGA775 socket for latest Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron D processor
FSB 800/533 MHz

Will this handle a Pentium D alright?

WalkedAirplane said:
Will this handle a Pentium D alright?

No, it won't. Celeron D is not dual core. If it only supports Pentium 4 and Celeron D, Pentium D is a no-go.

PWMK2 said:
No, it won't. Celeron D is not dual core. If it only supports Pentium 4 and Celeron D, Pentium D is a no-go.

Alright, hmph.

Guess that leaves me choosing between new mobo and AMD route, or just leaving it be. Probably going AMD then.

That is probably a good way to go. Intel may be better next generation, but AMD seems to be quite good right now.

get 2x1gb. your system is fine. use that ddr2 and gtx for am2 in like 6 months.

Can I get some comments on this line up upgrades:

Clocks in at $690 shipped.

Another gig of RAM
A8N5X Motherboard
AMD X2 3800+ Manchester
(some random RAM for my laptop)
36gb Raptor HDD
Another 250gb HDD

Comments, thoughts, changes youd make?

WalkedAirplane said:
Can I get some comments on this line up upgrades:

Clocks in at $690 shipped.

Another gig of RAM
A8N5X Motherboard
AMD X2 3800+ Manchester
(some random RAM for my laptop)
36gb Raptor HDD
Another 250gb HDD

Comments, thoughts, changes youd make?

You can't use those sticks in desktop mobos.

Keep your current comp. Maybe upgrade the ram.... Its fast enough for now.

In less than 6 months AMD is releasing a new socket, making socket 939 obsoleet(well, kinda). Wait for it. Thats what I would do.

Back