7 Years Ago Today Intel Launched the Core i7-2600K

I was running my [email protected] on air until [email protected] on water for 5 years. Android rooting, unlocking and custom roms had me forget about overclocking and upgrading. Then, I thought it's time for an upgrade when Ryzen came out, but I ended up with 8700K

You don't happen to still have that 3770K and a willingness to cut someone a deal, do you? ;)

Maybe upgrading (as far as the mobo will allow) will be more in my sights depending on the performance hit with all these patches.

My 2600k had been passed down from Desktop duty to ESXi duty and serves me well to this day.

I've always been worried about degradation since SB is the first generation we really heard people talking about it happening to them in any kind of volume. My 3970X gets a bit toast at 1.4 though

1.4 is on a border of being too toasty depending on chip, but around 1.35 should be safe for any Sandy Bridge as long as temps stay below 80c in stress tests.

With a good air cooler, it's OK. I have my 2600K at 1.416v, and it doesn't breach, I think, 72C during stress-testing. That's with a Noctua NH-D15. And I'm using the low power rails, to reduce fan speed and noise.

Before the Noctua NH-D15, I was using a Cooler Master 212 Evo, and that did the job pretty well, too.

T-shirts are important. You can't write important things on a dress shirt. Speaking of t-shirts, I was at the doctors office three days ago and a guy close to my age (mid-forties maybe) walked in wearing a Vault Tec t-shirt. I looked at him and said, "I like your shirt." He snickered a bit and said, "Ask me about my settlements!"

I asked, "Do they have bathrooms?" He said, "No! Yours have bathrooms?" And then his wife came up behind him and said, "Are you telling me there's another idiot in this town playing that stupid game?"

Married a non-gamer, so sad.

BTW....Preston Garvey called....

I'm still running the slightly younger x79 platform based on the same underlying arch in Sandy-E in my daily driver.

Overclocked to 4.8 Ghz, only very recently did new chips regularly outperform it.

It's getting to the point where I am ready for an upgrade though. The only thing keeping me from it right now is the cost of DDR4 RAM. That shit has to come down a bit before I'll consider an upgrade.

Married a non-gamer, so sad.

BTW....Preston Garvey called....
Micro Center is the only reason I'm not still running mine. It's hard not to upgrade when you can get a new mobo and cpu for less than you can sell your old stuff for when the right sale hits.

Yeah, unless you have the need for large quantities of RAM.

The fact that I have LOTS of DDR3 kicking around and DDR4 is so damned expensive is whats keeping me back.

With a good air cooler, it's OK. I have my 2600K at 1.416v, and it doesn't breach, I think, 72C during stress-testing. That's with a Noctua NH-D15. And I'm using the low power rails, to reduce fan speed and noise.

Before the Noctua NH-D15, I was using a Cooler Master 212 Evo, and that did the job pretty well, too.

You have a better cooler than mine. I had Thermalright hr03 Macho and while it is a very good cooler a non-AVX Prime95 pushed my 2500k @ 4.8 ghz to 70c with only 1.36v. With AVX enabled temperatures rose to 80c.

My overclocked 2400K paired with a GTX 1070 gives me plenty of frames in the games I play, namely Rainbow Six and PUBG. I can't lie though, I'm looking forward to a build with many more cores - just waiting for the next golden overclocker to appear.

You don't happen to still have that 3770K and a willingness to cut someone a deal, do you? ;)

Maybe upgrading (as far as the mobo will allow) will be more in my sights depending on the performance hit with all these patches.

I sure can.

The fact that I have LOTS of DDR3 kicking around and DDR4 is so damned expensive is whats keeping me back.

Yeah this is my quandry. I've got the Ryzen upgrade itch super bad, but DDR4 is so much more than 2 years ago.... my 32gb of DDR3 and old FX8320 might have to hold out until DDR4 prices drop a bit. The cheapest I could find is 16gb of Crucial DDR4 2400 from Microcenter (with the mobo + cpu + ram bundle discount) for $165...32GB is $330. Amazon wants $200ish for decent 16gb DDR4 (Crucial isn't my favorite, but MC has it on bundle sale) When I built my Skylake i5 rig 2 or 3 years ago, 16gb DDR4 3000 cost me $100 at Fry's, which was probably $20-30 overpriced but I was in a time crunch, didn't have time to order online. I read that prices *MIGHT* come down in 2018 because Samsung is bringing more production online. We'll see.

Yeah, unless you have the need for large quantities of RAM.
Same. I have gobs (256GB+) of good 1.35V 2133+ DDR3L.
Fortunately, I do have a Skylake 6700 rig with DDR3L, though it's just an OptiPlex 5040.

Last edited:
I had so many fond memories of running a 2600K on a WS Revo board and pushing quad 6950s thru that lil itty bitty NF200 chip frametimes be damned. We clocked those chips up to around 5.4ghz on water, mass volt party.

I damaged my motherboard, so I took that as omen and decided to build a new system with best I could afford at the time (and I like the extra 2 cores because I multi-task a lot) but I'd still be using the 2600k if I hadn't and I keep thinking of turning into a plex server or something (the x16 slot got damaged but the onboard video works fine). Did have some troubles at first with booting but Gigabyte eventually got the BIOS fixed. 7 years, dang I miss the old days when you could get a significant speed up every year or two. I really thought we'd be near 10GHz by now.

I know IPC, power efficiency, etc. have increased, but dayum, we've been f*cking around 4GHz since Core 2!
(not counting LN overclocks of P4s)

I use a 2700k, and I find it somewhat odd that I still have next to no need to upgrade this thing. Sandy bridge is legendary.

We were talking 'around' 4Ghz, pretty much assumed 'daily without refrigeration on consumer grade products' and around means + or - 4Ghz.
Never said anything about refrigeration.
I have a 6GHz PHY circuit fabbed on old T18 process tech running on my desk at work.

Never said anything about refrigeration.
I have a 6GHz PHY circuit fabbed on old T18 process tech running on my desk at work.

Which in no way sounds like a daily driver consumer grade product to me.

In terms of consumer grade products, silicon is reaching it's practical limits.

Maybe you guys can offer advice - I have a 2600k that’s been lately getting over 90c on all cores in coretemp on stock cooler with no OC, built in 2011.

Has been giving me BSOD and bios screen tells me CPU over temperature error.

Assume it’s heat related. Have considered replacing stock HS, but what would have changed except maybe just age and thermal paste had the course?

I only just recently upgraded the stock HSF to a U12S. Stock temps were ~75°C idle. and 90-95 while using it virtually all day. lol. might have been time to blow it out and re-apply some TIM. But i wasn't going to bother doing that without upgrading the HSF at teh same time. Now it idles much..... much lower. lmao :D oops. should have done it long ago.

It was running like that for a long long time but never BSOD'd ever sinse i fixed the VERTEX 3 BSOD dilemma when i first built the system (mid 2011).

Back