7" Video Player recommendations - Cheap.

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
Taking a flight this summer and want to entertain myself with about a 7" (more or less) video player. Not looking for DVD or anything.

Looking for expandable with SD.
USB file transfer from a PC.
MP4 video
External audio jack (typical 3.5 mm stereo)
About 4 hrs of playback life.

Quality is always a concern, but low price takes priority. I'm horrible at losing stuff like this when I'm rushed, so I want something cheap enough it won't be missed too badly.

I had bought a $30 e-reader from sears with fingers crossed which almost was ok on everything, but only has about a 2.5 hour video playback life. Although I need to check that against a lower quality rip to see if I can get more life.

Anyway, an alternative would be a small battery backup that does micro usb for the e-reader that they would probably allow on the plane (if there is such a thing).

If you're just looking for SD video, A Nook color with CM7 installed would do the trick nicely. You can get them on refurb for $100-$120. Not enough oomph for HD video though. 720p starts to get a little choppy.

Over a long period of time, I wouldn't tell the difference for anything over 800x480 at that size. I should almost have reading glasses but don't need them for short periods. So I don't use them at all. So reformatting to roughly SD veritcal would be fine.

Nook color makes most sense. I agree with the above.

It's probably going to cost around $100. Different encoding wont have much impact on battery life.

Have you turned off your wifi and bluetooth when you tested that? They do drain quite a bit. And the LCD doesn't have to be bright when you're under flourescent light.

You may want to give the Archos70 Gen8 a look.

It's specifically designed for media playback and meant to take them from any source you have. The micro USB port has both host and client mode so you can stick a WD Passport on it tho you need a micro->full USB cable to put it into host mode. The video player it comes with already supports h264 MKV's and most other media formats up to 720p.

Back