7 reasons to stick with Windows XP

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
I came across this article on ZDNet: 7 reasons to stick with Windows XP. I know most of you will diss it. As someone who has both Windows XP and 7, I'd tend to agree. But the author does have a few valid points.

That said, if someone has a choice between XP and 7 and cost isn't a big issue nor is old hardware, I'd tell him to get 7. If it was XP vs. Vista, then I'd say stick w/ XP. And Vista vs. 7? Upgrade ASAP!

I don't have a problem with anything he said. XP is a fine OS but I feel the benefits of Vista/7 are worth the investment. They are simply smoother OSes to operate and once you learn the UI it's just faster to get around in. The benefit of AERO also is huge; a lot bigger than people think. Not a single frozen window, or torn screen, or stuck window image from Windows hangs ever again.

Those are all pretty lazy stupid reasons for using an outdated and decade-old opetating systems.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

It is time to move on though. It would be like writing a an article in 2003 called "7 reasons to stick with Windows 95".

These are all generic reasons not to upgrade ANYTHING, they don't just apply to Windows 7. Like anything in life there is a cost benefit trade off that one must do to determine economic feasibility.

That said the cost benefit I think for most people is worth it. XP is just getting old and the longer you wait the father behind the curve you'll be. Just from a practical side of things in life getting up to speed on the latest version of Windows for most people has a lot of practical benefit especially in a job market where having more skills and knowledge than others is always a plus if you're in the job market.

My XP days are over.

A really good reason they left out is age of the machine. I can't believe they would omit something like that.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 5100 that is able to install 7, however there are no drivers for the Mobility Radeon it uses nor drivers for sound. Such a shame too, because if those two aforementioned pieces of hardware were interchangeable, this PC would have no problem with Windows 7 at all.

amazing that windows xp will be almost a decade old very, very soon...

and yet, you can still throw it on the latest pc hardware and run pretty much anything out right now...

i dont think there will ever be a longer lived OS release....

and yet, you can still throw it on the latest pc hardware and run pretty much anything out right now...

That's exactly what I was thinking. I still deal with XP on a daily basis at work and though it might not be as pretty as Vista/7 or include the nifty streamlined features or natively support the latest hardware, it's not terrible. It doesn't pain me to use it, and that's saying something.

I just thought bigdogchris's comment was funny, yet valid. I cannot imagine having to use Windows 95 in 2003, as Windows 98 was already a big improvement over 95 and 2000/XP had also been released in that time frame and yielded huge improvements in stability -- just like 7 did compared to XP. But I can still use XP after the same period of time (8+ years later) following its release and I don't complain much as it's still a fairly stable, capable OS. I think that reflects well on Microsoft, as they have come a long way and know how to program an operating system that is viable for many years after its release. Well, I guess you could also attribute some of it to businesses and various other entities that want or need to hang on to older technology for that long rather than moving forward...nonetheless I consider 7 to be the "new" XP and at this rate, I won't mind using Windows 7 in 2020. So we will see if there will be a longer lived OS release than XP. :)

It is time to move on though. It would be like writing a an article in 2003 called "7 reasons to stick with Windows 95".
That's not an accurate analogy b/c by 2003, Windows 95 only had a fraction of the OS market share. However, even today, Windows XP still has the majority of the market share (66.15% according to hitslink.com).

I agree - XP was really a huge success for MS. Normally, a new OS will eventually overtake the market share of its predecessor. However, Vista never even came close to threatening XP and never will. That said, 7 will eventually overtake XP, but I don't know if it'll enjoy the kind of market share success that XP had and still has.

XP was really a huge mistake for MS.

Fixed.

The only reason XP lasted as long as it did was because Longhorn was having too much problems in development that they decided to start over. It had nothing to do with success or customer satisfaction. The problem is that the internet grew while everyone was using XP and with the growth of the internet came armchair generals who don't know their feet from their ass while making articles and recommendations to their aunts and cousins, who tend to listen to them rather than the people who knows what they're talking about - us.

XP should have died 5 or 6 years ago.

Fixed.

The only reason XP lasted as long as it did was because Longhorn was having too much problems in development that they decided to start over. It had nothing to do with success or customer satisfaction. The problem is that the internet grew while everyone was using XP and with the growth of the internet came armchair generals who don't know their feet from their ass while making articles and recommendations to their aunts and cousins, who tend to listen to them rather than the people who knows what they're talking about - us.

This. XP is a piece of shit. It's bloated, inefficient and broken in so many ways it's not funny. Please, for the love of god everyone, just let it die the death it needs!

7 reasons to stick with the fossil that is XP:

1.) You're an idiot
2.) You're an even bigger idiot
3.) You're an even bigger idiot than that
4.) You're an even bigger idiot than that
5.) You're an even bigger idiot than that
6.) You like fossils (and you're an idiot)
7.) You've never owned your own computer before and all the sudden someone hands you down a PC with XP installed and you are way too excited to contain yourself.

Would anyone read an article titled "Seven reasons to stick with your ex-wife"?

That article just wasted a moment of my life. Guess the guy couldn't think of much better to blog about :eek: . The one I hated the most, "Learning Curve". Come on! Really? Stick with what you know? Thank god some people actually like to LEARN. I like the fact of having a doctor to visit when I'm ill or a mechanic to take my car to when I don't know how to fix it myself. But what the hell, better off being a brain dead zombie I suppose :rolleyes: The reasons were so generic you could use them for pretty much any OS upgrade. 7 reasons to stick with ___________. fill in the blank.

This article is probably talking about normal people and not [H]ardcore computer guys.

I just installed Vista on my gf's parent's computer. I go so effing sick of cleaning their infected, corrupted, infested XP install I broke down and made them upgrade (I had a free key). XP is great if you can keep it maintained, but seriously, it SUCKS for anyone who isn't a computer whiz. I'd take the latest version of Vista any day over XP, as long as the comp had at least 2gb of ram.

This article is probably talking about normal people and not [H]ardcore computer guys.

No, because it can be applied to anyone. I've never read a more stupid article. The learning curve just gets me the most. It shoulda been just stick to win 95 because more people would have known how to use that.

Dumbass article. Drives me completely insane when I go to work and have to be stuck with the shit that is XP. It's slow, then gets slower, then gets slower again.

Can't wait to get our VLK at work for Windows 7. I'll be the first to jump ship and reduce XP to nothing but a VM for testing.

Fixed.

That's just conjecture on your part on why XP was as successful as it was. You blame it on luck. You can't say one way or another on why. But what we know for a fact is, well, the facts, and that is we know the market share XP has enjoyed and will continue to enjoy for the foreseeable future.

Well, of course. I'm interested in how my father enjoys 7. He was using XP for the longest time - since 2001. Last month, my siblings and I bought my parents a new computer, which obviously came w/ Win 7. I told my father that 7 is better than XP, but there'll be a learning curve involved. I said to give it a few months and then let me know what you think.

Dumbass article. Drives me completely insane when I go to work and have to be stuck with the shit that is XP. It's slow, then gets slower, then gets slower again.

Can't wait to get our VLK at work for Windows 7. I'll be the first to jump ship and reduce XP to nothing but a VM for testing.
Our company just got VLK for Vista. :mad: WTF?! :mad: I wish they went straight from XP to 7. I guess we'll get VLK for 7 when Windows 8 is released. :rolleyes: :(

<snip>

nice looking win7...

You know what's more sad? A lot of our computer illiterate friends and relatives are able to install Win7 without issues. Stick with what you know.

I came across this article on ZDNet: 7 reasons to stick with Windows XP. I know most of you will diss it. As someone who has both Windows XP and 7, I'd tend to agree. But the author does have a few valid points.

Valid? Hardly. Someone who sticks with XP because they think it's superior is just ignorant. Why would anyone consciously choose XP over 7 for a modern machine? XP has been a dinosaur for YEARS. Let it die already (like it should have 3 years ago). There should be an article on "7 reasons to stick with Win98".

The author only listed one good reason (#2) to stick with XP. Compatibility with core applications. Quite simply - if you have some programs or hardware where a newer alternative is not available, or is too expensive, that would be a reason to stick with XP. This problem faces many businesses.

The operating system supports the applications, not the other way around. To state that everybody needs to upgrade just to appease Microsoft and be on the "latest & greatest" is shortsighted. Not everyone needs to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

At the turn of the century we still had mainframes running COBOL. Those were 20+ years old at the time. I'm sure every one of those businesses or governmental institutions would have liked to be on something modern to avoid the Y2K issue, but time & money doesn't grow on trees.

/logic off

BTW, I love the people in this thread who bash on XP. How hypocritical is that? It was the greatest thing since sliced bread 5 years ago. What makes it bad now? Because something new came along? Something tells me those same people will be calling Win7 crap in a few years too. :confused:

The author only listed one good reason (#2) to stick with XP. Compatibility with core applications. Quite simply - if you have some programs or hardware where a newer alternative is not available, or is too expensive, that would be a reason to stick with XP. This problem faces many businesses.

The operating system supports the applications, not the other way around. To state that everybody needs to upgrade just to appease Microsoft and be on the "latest & greatest" is shortsighted. Not everyone needs to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

At the turn of the century we still had mainframes running COBOL. Those were 20+ years old at the time. I'm sure every one of those businesses or governmental institutions would have liked to be on something modern to avoid the Y2K issue, but time & money doesn't grow on trees.

/logic off

BTW, I love the people in this thread who bash on XP. How hypocritical is that? It was the greatest thing since sliced bread 5 years ago. What makes it bad now? Because something new came along? Something tells me those same people will be calling Win7 crap in a few years too. :confused:

It's not that most of us are bashing XP, but that we're bashing reasons not to move on. As you said, XP was fantastic then. Now it's one of the most insecure thing you can do to a PC short of tweeting your admin password.

Don't get me wrong, I loved XP but it has seen its time. Its very insecure, and overall a bad designed OS. It was the best... because we didn't have anything else at the time. IMO even vista SP1+ was better than XP. Alot more stable and less problems.

XP came out in 2001. It's a dinosaur now. In its' day, it was a great OS. But that day came and went like 3 years ago. It's not that we all hate XP now, it's that we hate the idiots who still think it's still the best Windows OS out there. What makes XP bad now? Compared to 7 (and previously Vista), a lot of things. It's incredibly outdated.

And yes, Windows 7 will be crap in the future (assuming Windows 8 is just as awesome as Windows 7 is now). It's called progression. People find some piece of software one day and think it's the best thing in the world forever and nothing could ever come out that is better than it. I guess this is kind similar to the whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality that is plaguing people's minds today. I will guarantee you this, the OS and software you are using now will all be crap one day.

Win8 will suck, then Win9 will be awesome. (at least that's what we'll hear)

History repeats itself.

Win8 will suck, then Win9 will be awesome. (at least that's what we'll hear)

History repeats itself.

Only if you're unable to come to your own conclusion about operating systems. Microsoft's made some nice strides the past decade with 2000, XP, Vista and now 7. 98SE and 95r2 were great too at it's time.

98 first edition and ME were the only two failures in my experience, mostly because of IE4's instability and it's tendency to bring down the entire OS when it crashes.

I will guarantee you this, the OS and software you are using now will all be crap one day.

That thinking doesn't follow any logic. Just because it's old doesn't make it crap. There are things that XP does well that Win7 doesn't (like solid MIDI support). To people who need that, Win7 is crap.

I'm pretty sure an old 1969 GTO is still an awesome car. :p It doesn't need fancy automation and computers to be good.

:LOL: WindOWNED?

If I had Win7 available Dec2008, when I still had my 2003 Dell XPS P4 system, and I had installed it, I probably would NOT have built my i7-920 system, because the performance difference between XP and Win7 on that Dell rig was night and day--I put win7 on it for my younger son, as a stopgap machine til he could afford to upgrade; needless to say, unless something hardware fails, he won't have to upgrade for awhile.

Oh, and the Win7 installation is running full Aero effects... :eek:

Hmmm these 7 are pretty damn idiotic:

1. Stick with what you know

There's no learning curve unless you're a dumbass. Windows is Windows.

2. Certainty

Not much, if anything, is incompatible with 7 or one of 7's compatibility modes.

3. Cost

Usually, it comes with a system.

4. XP is still supported by Microsoft

So what?

5. Developers still support XP

So what?

6. Upgrade components to stay secure!

Huh?

7. Do you really need to upgrade?

Windows 7's productivity capabilities are IMMENSE. If you have a new system with an Quad Core system, you can do a million things at once. Window management alone is worth the price of admission.

Windows 7 just has so much packed into it that many just don't even see it true capabilities. With my tm2 convertible tablet PC I can take the device, fold it into tablet mode and use it as a surf pad to read night if I trying to get to sleep. It's just a usage scenario where the tablet PC really does shine. The tm2 is a fantastic Windows 7 tablet that XP just wasn't quite up to snuff. 7 is just has enough fit and finish with the multi-touch interface to just make it a way better touch tablet experience.

Hopefully HP will have a decent slate tablet out in the form of their slate. I really hope they can go with a Core 2 Duo CULV chip over the Atom. The C2D CULV platform is the best power consumption vs performance platform out for Windows 7. It uses about the same about of power as Atom but is SO much faster. It's just a much better Windows 7 experience in the same power and thermal envelope but of course at higher cost then the Atom.

Hmmm these 7 are pretty damn idiotic:

3. Cost

Usually, it comes with a system.

You must work for MS...

You still paid for the Win 7 license on the new machine... If XP works and you already own a license you can transfer to the new machine, it is wasted $$$...

This thread is getting ridiculous with XP bashing. It's not what it's about.

Sure, XP is aged but it's still a good OS. If you have an older computer it's the perfect OS. It runs great on 512MB of ram with a single core CPU. Hell, fresh install of XP on a 256MB system is completely doable and runs pretty good.

I do think though that people who are resisting it might as well start getting used to it because the UI/Style is not going away. I forced myself to use Office 2007, even though I hated every minute of it,and now I like it.

I forced myself to use Office 2007, even though I hated every minute of it,and now I like it.

I for one don't bash Windows XP, I simply think that those that think that XP is just as good as 7 or that 7's just got a few tweaks with a new UI are a bit off base. XP just lacks a lot of features now. It would be all but pointless on a multi-touch tablet as that technology its even implemented in XP. Then you start to add things line Search, Libraries, Homegroups, CableCard support for cable TV subscribers for use with their Winodows Media Center HTPCs, DX 10 & 11, improved digital ink and handwriting recognition, and the list goes one.

Sure it works and gets the job done but that can be said of almost any lesser product versus a superior one. And that's the thing, make no mistake about it, Windows 7 is FAR superior to XP on modern hardware. There just too much missing cool stuff in XP versus 7 and that's all that really say about it.

If XP works for you and you don't need anything else, then keep it. But if you're getting new hardware anyway, well you're almost never going to want to roll back 7 to XP, not like the number of people that rolled back from Vista to XP.

I agree with the article. But then again, I'm actively using Windows 2000, XP, 7, and 2008 R2.

Back