7 Reasons The PC Is Owning The PS4 And Xbox One

That's a bullshit list. A list made by someone who isn't a PC gamer. Here's the real list.

#1 PC gaming in the long term is cheap.
#2 No monthly fee for playing mulitplayer games.
#3 60+fps
#4 Mods! How did this never get mentioned?
#5 Backwards compatibility. Dos games still work with DosBox.
#6 Emulators! Anything from SNES to Wii emulation is done on PC.
#7 Steam! Origin! GoG! PC gaming fights for your money.
#8 PC master race. I just threw that in there for the lols.

The life cycle of a gaming rig in my house is less than half what it would be in the console world. Its several times more expensive depending on what level of quality you are striving to achieve. The three G-Sync monitors I have, 2x Titan X's I've ordered and everything else I have bought or will buy in the next few days to weeks is anything but cheap. Gaming for me hasn't been cheap in any context you can imagine.

The life cycle of a gaming rig in my house is less than half what it would be in the console world. Its several times more expensive depending on what level of quality you are striving to achieve. The three G-Sync monitors I have, 2x Titan X's I've ordered and everything else I have bought or will buy in the next few days to weeks is anything but cheap. Gaming for me hasn't been cheap in any context you can imagine.

You are nothing like the average gamer though? The point is there is an option to be cheap, or to go crazy and spend thousands. On a console you don't get the choice, you just pay one sum and have to live with that performance. I haven't added anything performance related to my PC in probably 3 or 4 years now and am still doing fine.

They both have their uses. I don't game too much, I have maybe a handful of games that I play each cycle, e.g. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, AC, CoD, Borderlands. I like the PC for single player games and the console for the multiplayer games. In CoD:Ghosts for instance the PC maybe had a few thousand people online when the game was still popular, meanwhile the prior CoD on console (BO II? can't remember) had hundreds of thousands.

I like the term "slum it" for playing FPS with a controller... yeah I am slumming it big time. :D

The money cost thing depends a lot on what kinds of games you play and the computer you use to play them. Lots of people play games with integrated graphics in really inexpensive computers (like you can get a Windows tablet starting at $100 which can run older games..even more immersive/bigger stuff from a few years ago like Fallout 3 will run on the Bay Trail Atom's GPU without being too awful as long as you have 2 GB of RAM) and since most people would own a computer regardless of having a console, those kinds of people who don't need or want cutting edge stuff will experience a cost savings over a console.

Like for me, my HD3000 equipped laptop was too big so I gave it away and I do most of my typing and creative stuff plus occasional old games on a linux mint netbook with an Atom n270 in it and a kid-friendly Dell Latitude 2110 netbook with an Atom n470. I got both of them for less than $60 each and I don't have any plans to replace my bigger laptop until Cherry Trail tablets and netbooks have been out for a while...so like maybe 2016? Until then, yay for Netbook PC Master Race gaming! :D

There's actually something to be said for that. There are tons of older games, and newer less demanding games that are worth playing. Maybe not to compete one on one with the current consoles and their full-price games, but not everyone cares about that either. Bonus if they have just enough GPU power to play something like that on occasion.

I have a Macbook Pro that I got for free a couple of years back. It's a 2012 model with a dual core i7, 8GB RAM, and an HD3000. For its size, this is actually not too bad, but it definitely doesn't like a lot of modern games. That doesn't matter though. If I'm traveling and want to take a break from working on it, I'll play System Shock 2 with a ton of mods. It's one of my favorite games of all time, it's not demanding, and plays beautifully on the MBP. There are plenty of others too. Portal runs ok on it as well as other Source games.

PC gaming is ridiculously flexible. Sometimes I just want to lay in bed and play 3DS games though. Turn my brain off for a little bit. :D

Did you add in the cost of the television for the console?

Personal Example, when I bought my xbox 360, it was 400 dollars, and the TV was 3800.
Over the life of the console I bought maybe 12 games. So that's another 700 dollars.

I can promise you that in that same time span, I did not spend as much on my PC.

Monitor was a dell fpw 2405, that was replaced with a u2711.
Upgrades on Pc went as follows -->(200?) e8400 --->(100)q6600 -->(300)i930 -->(120ish) 2600k --> (110)3770k -->(-103) i5 3570 (i needed vtdx)

video cards went like (400?) x1900xt + 100ish--> 8800 gts +100ish --> 9800gtx +130ish -->5870 +100ish --> gtx670 +200-- > gtx 780 (-120)---> gtx 970

So I have spent 500 ish + the initial purchase for my video card (s) since 2007

The cost of the PC would be a sunk cost, because it has always been needed, and I'd imagine that the first graphics card would fall into that, since integrated graphics was insufficient for my professional needs, that however is no longer the case, and if I didn't game, I would probably not have a dedicated video card.

I think for the vast majority of users that do happen to need a desktop, the nominal cost of a video card, allows the Pc to create a value proposition for most users.

Now there's the cost of games to factor in, for a lot of people that I know, the historical cost of games was (0), however in my social circle Steam, Steam Sales, and (insert name)_ bundle has changed that completely. Personally, for me, I consider it a splurge when I spend more than 15 dollars on a game.

TIL: I upgrade too often. Crap.

Like for me, my HD3000 equipped laptop was too big so I gave it away and I do most of my typing and creative stuff plus occasional old games on a linux mint netbook with an Atom n270 in it and a kid-friendly Dell Latitude 2110 netbook with an Atom n470. I got both of them for less than $60 each and I don't have any plans to replace my bigger laptop until Cherry Trail tablets and netbooks have been out for a while...so like maybe 2016? Until then, yay for Netbook PC Master Race gaming! :D

Lol. To each their own.

I just can't get used to Laptops or netbooks. Using them hurts my back, my arms and my eyes. I only use them if I absolutely have to (like I am somewhere where I don't have a desktop but absolutely need to use a computer)

I have a work laptop (Some silver HP ultrabook thingie that's trying to look like a Mac) but it spends 98% of its use time in a dock so it gives me an approximation of the desktop like experience. (I don't play games on it)

I find the ergonomics of laptops/ultrabooks/netbook/whatever atrocious. If I need to do something I can't do on my phone (or is inconvenient to do on my phone) I just get up and walk to my office, where my desktop is set up ergonomically and everything is perfect :p

If it weren't for my work laptop I wouldn't have one at all. I just don't see the point. I would never use it.

I also find the whole "gaming from the couch on a TV" experience very uncomfortable.

If I am going to play games, I want to hyper-focus, in a room with a closed door at my desk, where everything is ideally set up (height, distance to screen, keyboard incline, etc etc.)

Granted, as I get older and have a full time job, a fiance and a future stepson, I get fewer and fewer opportunities to do this (usually when they are out of the house for some reason) but this the ONLY way I play games. I actively avoid anything game related on a console, tablet or phone.

I haven't used a console since I got rid of my original 8 bit Nintendo in favor of my 286 PC in 1991 when I was 11.

I did not.

While most people don't already have a desktop they can stick a video card in these days, most people DO already have a TV. So these were my assumptions.

Yes, if you plan it out from the beginning you could use the "I'll need a computer anyway" argument and justify the cost as the incremental cost of the GPU only that way, but most people are starting from a position of already having one or more cheap low end laptops which they can't do much with.

I guess you could argue that you could use a TV instead of a monitor, and take some of the costs out of the PC alternative that way, but that is far from ideal.

PC vs. Console. The contest that will never be decided. Take 100 people. Each will say which one is better to them. So, which is better? Depends on how you play. Sometimes, my PC is WAY better than my consoles. Other times, console is way better.

Pfft. I play on both. Whatever one is better is the one I'm playing at that time. I'm having fun while you guys are arguing which one is better. :D

Zarathustra[H];1041518886 said:
I agree with all of these, but how do you figure #1?

Give me some examples?

There was a time when you could build a semi-decent midgrade gaming rig for $500. (excluding monitor/keyboard/mouse) That isn't possible anymore.
I don't know how you figure that? The best time for building a gaming PC is now. Well Christmas really but whatever. This PC is more powerful than a PS4 and only costs $500. Though it won't be long before I can subtract Windows from the build. At some point Microsoft is going to give away Windows 10. If not Windows 10 than Linux. BioShock Infinite and Dying Light are on Linux right now. The list of games I want for Linux are shrinking every month.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $494.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-31 14:19 EDT-0400

For those who want PC gaming on a budget can get this machine for ~$400. It won't be as powerful as a PS4 but you could always add a graphics card later if you wanted more performance. With DX12 or Vulkan you can even use both graphic cards for maximum performance, so no loss there at all.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($67.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $413.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-31 14:25 EDT-0400
Your upfront investment is going to be much higher than with a console, and the console is going to last you 8 years, vs the computer will need at least a new GPU at least every couple of years.
If you think you need to spend $1000 for a gaming PC than sure, but that's a very old fashion way of thinking with PC gaming. Looking at Dying Lights PC requirements. A Core i5-2500 and a Radeon HD 6870. Both are now 4 year old hardware for a game that people will tell you wasn't optimized for PC. You could easily use older hardware like a Radeon HD 5950 which is easily faster than a 6870.

The times have changed, thanks mostly to the Xbox 360 and PS3 which limited gaming on PC for so long that older hardware is still perfectly usable on modern games.
Yes, there is so subscription fee, but at only $60 per year, it doesn't make a huge difference.
I quit WoW cause $15 a month was too much for me. Not that I can't afford it but I was logging in a few times a week just to justify the cost, when I've been long bored of the game. I imagine Xbox One and PS4 owners might feel the same as well.
And yes, Steam sales are huge, but you'd have to buy a shit ton of games to even come close to making up the difference between a console and a PC.
That depends no your buying habits. If you buy games as soon as they're released then it makes no difference in cost. A few months later and you'll see sales are usually superior on PC gaming. Plus like I said there's competition on PC with game sales. There's Amazon, GoG, Origin, and etc.
I would argue that any way you look at it, the total cost of ownership of a gaming PC including all games, and upgrades is going to be more expensive short term and long term than console ownership.
You could argue that but you wouldn't have much to back it up with.

PC vs. Console. The contest that will never be decided. Take 100 people. Each will say which one is better to them. So, which is better? Depends on how you play. Sometimes, my PC is WAY better than my consoles. Other times, console is way better.

Pfft. I play on both. Whatever one is better is the one I'm playing at that time. I'm having fun while you guys are arguing which one is better. :D

We're discussing. If I had the choice of playing games or discussing them, I'd pick playing. Since that's not an option at the moment, I'll take discussing them. :p

There's actually something to be said for that. There are tons of older games, and newer less demanding games that are worth playing. Maybe not to compete one on one with the current consoles and their full-price games, but not everyone cares about that either. Bonus if they have just enough GPU power to play something like that on occasion.

I have a Macbook Pro that I got for free a couple of years back. It's a 2012 model with a dual core i7, 8GB RAM, and an HD3000. For its size, this is actually not too bad, but it definitely doesn't like a lot of modern games. That doesn't matter though. If I'm traveling and want to take a break from working on it, I'll play System Shock 2 with a ton of mods. It's one of my favorite games of all time, it's not demanding, and plays beautifully on the MBP. There are plenty of others too. Portal runs ok on it as well as other Source games.

PC gaming is ridiculously flexible. Sometimes I just want to lay in bed and play 3DS games though. Turn my brain off for a little bit. :D

I think people who play older games get a much better value for the time they put into them. You can pay lots less than pre-order and release day buyers and sometimes get all of the DLC released as well in a much less expensive purchase. Patches are already out and so are lots of reviews. And then there's cheaper hardware. All that stuff makes PC games affordable, plus less frustrating and more fun. :)

Though if I was gonna buy a console, it'd be the 3DS. The original Wii was fun, but it really utterly failed to be useful for being active since the health/exercise games weren't actual exercise at all. :( At least the 3DS is something that you can carry around easily.

Zarathustra[H];1041519207 said:
Lol. To each their own.

I understand that too. Ergo stuff is really important if you're sitting for a long time. In my case, I have an old 15 inch screen around and a keyboard and wireless mousey so if I wanna do the desk thing, I can. The keyboard is really important for writing though since netbooks are awful when you're like 200k words into a novel.

Bloodborne is a really nice game I'll give you that....

PC population is so spread out hard to find active MP games.

We're discussing. If I had the choice of playing games or discussing them, I'd pick playing. Since that's not an option at the moment, I'll take discussing them. :p

That works. Too many people are so into arguing about it that they don't have fun playing. They are too busy trying to prove a point. Some will even say the PC is better without even playing on a console. Ever.

Are you guys calculating cost of a monitor in PC gaming? If so then why aren't you adding the cost of a TV in console gaming? I built a $450 gaming rig (including OS,keyboard,mouse) for my friend which does mostly everything on max settings at 1080p. Granted, some of the parts were used but it beats the hell out of PS4

Opps my builds have no hard disk in them. Just add $50 more to those builds for a 1TB drive. :p

Are you guys calculating cost of a monitor in PC gaming? If so then why aren't you adding the cost of a TV in console gaming? I built a $450 gaming rig (including OS,keyboard,mouse) for my friend which does mostly everything on max settings at 1080p. Granted, some of the parts were used but it beats the hell out of PS4

I don't. It's already part of the system. I don't calculate the cost of an electrical outlet, either. Or my couch. Monitor - you could use a 19" CRT or you could use a 30" 4K monitor. Same as you can use a 19" TV or a 135" projector. With the display cost, it's EASY to manipulate the numbers. Even 1:1 on size, a monitor will be more expensive usually. But, that's personal taste.

TV, though. Who doesn't already have one?

The time when that matters is when the console or PC isn't going to be the main one in the house or connected to the main TV. (think kids' rooms, etc.) That's a case when either will probably have to be factored in, or trickled down through upgrades to the main ones.

The time when that matters is when the console or PC isn't going to be the main one in the house or connected to the main TV. (think kids' rooms, etc.) That's a case when either will probably have to be factored in, or trickled down through upgrades to the main ones.

That's what I do in my house. We get a bigger TV for the living room. The old one goes to our room. That one to my son, his to a daughter, then down the line until something shifts out the door. My PC parts follow the same pattern. Once they're done in my house they go out to peripheral relatives, friends, etc.

I don't. It's already part of the system. I don't calculate the cost of an electrical outlet, either. Or my couch. Monitor - you could use a 19" CRT or you could use a 30" 4K monitor. Same as you can use a 19" TV or a 135" projector. With the display cost, it's EASY to manipulate the numbers. Even 1:1 on size, a monitor will be more expensive usually. But, that's personal taste.

TV, though. Who doesn't already have one?

There was someone in this thread who quoted a $1k PC gaming rig which included the price of a monitor which I thought was ridiculous. You can make a $500 gaming rig as good or better than a console and can even use an existing TV as a monitor so no way that should be included in the cost of a PC gaming rig. Yup you could manipulate numbers like that guy Zarathustra did. I could add a $1k samsung 55 inch in there and say it's part of the console gaming rig.

I think the point is, give or take a little bit in one direction or the other, you could go either route and end up spending more or less money based on decisions that you make on how you want to play. :p

There was someone in this thread who quoted a $1k PC gaming rig which included the price of a monitor which I thought was ridiculous. You can make a $500 gaming rig as good or better than a console and can even use an existing TV as a monitor so no way that should be included in the cost of a PC gaming rig. Yup you could manipulate numbers like that guy Zarathustra did. I could add a $1k samsung 55 inch in there and say it's part of the console gaming rig.

Most people have a HMDI compatible HDTV already.

Most people DO NOT have a computer monitor already, or if they do, it's an old CRT in the basement, as if they have computers at all, the last couple of generations they have bought $250 special low end sale laptops at Best Buy.

I guess you COULD hook up a PC to a TV, but really that isn't the ideal way to enjoy PC gaming (in fact, I would imagine it would be awful unless you use it with a console-like controller, and then well, you are stuck with an awful controller.

Zarathustra[H];1041519522 said:

Most people DO NOT have a computer monitor already, or if they do, it's an old CRT in the basement, as if they have computers at all, the last couple of generations they have bought $250 special low end sale laptops at Best Buy.

I guess you COULD hook up a PC to a TV, but really that isn't the ideal way to enjoy PC gaming (in fact, I would imagine it would be awful unless you use it with a console-like controller, and then well, you are stuck with an awful controller.

If we're making assumptions, I would argue that most people these days have a desktop PC in their homes and therefore a computer monitor. Even if you don't have a monitor you CAN use your TV and there are cheap wireless keyboard/mice available. However, you are inflating the cost of a PC gaming rig with the cost of a monitor and comparing that to the cost of console gaming which isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Zarathustra[H] said:
Me, I rarely see many games I'm interested in. I wind up buying one or two a year on a good year.
Then you're not looking. Can you honestly tell me there's only one game on this list you're interested in? It must have close to 500 games. Not 500 shitty games either, 500 games that look like some real effort and production was put into almost all of them.

How many games do you buy? Would you really save enough money in games to offset $860 in cost difference?
PC gaming offsets costs for me BIG TIME. Steam sales you can CONSTANTLY get games for $5 or $10 that were $60 a year or two before. I don't play much on the new end, but a lot of games get marked down to half during a sale within a month or two after release. It you only play 2 games a year, yeah , I guess console might come out cheaper, but if you play dozens, there's simply no comparison.

The reason PC gaming declined in the first place is because of Intel's shitty graphics. More than half of all PC's can't game well or at all. Intel knows it and they don't care.
Not really, for a while the industry was making more profits on the console

Gaming on a big screen TV is great. Both my PC and console are hooked up to a plasma. I've been doing it like this for a decade or so. Yes a wireless controller is usually more convenient but a I also use a wireless mouse and KB from the couch. Been doing it for years.

The most important reason: 30fps is bullshit.

Very , very much this.

I can be find around 60fps , don't require the 120+ that some say they do , but I just cannot stomach 30fps.

The difference between 30fps and 60fps to me is night and day.

I just helped a friend that is primarily a console gamer build a gaming pc. Being close to top of the line, it was under 1500, but it wasn't the build on the cheap. I remember when a similar pc would cost 2500+. With amd's api, I could see building something that is at the same, or better, level than next gen consoles for the same price. Not to mention, if you are building a dedicated gaming pc, steam box os is free.

Zarathustra[H];1041518886 said:
I agree with all of these, but how do you figure #1?

Give me some examples?

There was a time when you could build a semi-decent midgrade gaming rig for $500. (excluding monitor/keyboard/mouse) That isn't possible anymore.

Your upfront investment is going to be much higher than with a console, and the console is going to last you 8 years, vs the computer will need at least a new GPU at least every couple of years.

Yes, there is so subscription fee, but at only $60 per year, it doesn't make a huge difference.

And yes, Steam sales are huge, but you'd have to buy a shit ton of games to even come close to making up the difference between a console and a PC.

I would argue that any way you look at it, the total cost of ownership of a gaming PC including all games, and upgrades is going to be more expensive short term and long term than console ownership.

It's an extra cost that is well worth it IMHO (I wouldn't even play games if it weren't on the PC) but still an extra cost. And a rather large one. They aren't even close.

60 bucks a year multiplied by 8 years is 480 bucks. If you took that and applied it to your 500 dollar gaming rig, you magically have 900 bucks to spend, or saved however you'd like to look at it. It's substantial because I'm sure you're not going to dump live or the PSN after one year. I'm not trying to trash your point, but it is something to take into account, I think.

Zarathustra[H];1041519522 said:

I disagree, my PC is actually hooked up to a 48" HDTV, it's great, I get to play at 1080p at max detail in pretty much every one of my games with no problems.

I use the Xbox controller for platformers, but for shooters and such the keyboard and mouse is far superior, it depends on the genre/game. My friend was all about consoles until I showed him unreal tournament back in the day, now he knows why I thought Halo with controller was like playing in slow motion, he was in denial the day before he got his adrenaline rush on my PC.

Let's see... initial cost of my PC? Around $1200. That was back in 2009. $1200/72 months = $16/month.

Since then, I've upgraded the video card once (from a GTX 285 to my current 6950) = ~$350

So, $1500/72 = ~$20/month.

Generally, if you plop down the cash up front for a good gaming rig, it will pay itself off over the years and end up being cheaper in the long run. We're to the point where there is very little need to upgrade your video card every 2 years (realistically. I know this is a hardware enthusiast board and we love to tell ourselves that we *need* that new Titan X, but let's be realistic here...) In addition to being pretty cheap in the long term, you get an improved gaming experience, can learn some valuable skills, have a much more open and competitive gaming ecosystem (Steam, GoG, Origin, Indie titles, etc.) and it's a multi-purpose machine, that you can do your homework on, watch Netflix, buy junk off of Ebay and whatever you want.

Article talking about how consoles suck. Attempts to prove this by talking about how you can run ancient games on a Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B). A damn cell phone. Don't get me wrong, PC is the best platform, but that article is full of nonsense.

Article talking about how consoles suck. Attempts to prove this by talking about how you can run ancient games on a Raspberry Pi 2 (Model B). A damn cell phone. Don't get me wrong, PC is the best platform, but that article is full of nonsense.
Well tech journalists have been saying the PC is dying for years. Now that it's becoming too big to be ignored, they're still new to this whole "research" thing in trying to write something about it.

Where are Bloodborne, Forza, or Dead Rising 3 on PC?

Cheaper hardware

Convenience

Install and play... no fiddling with settings or dealing with PC issues.

For the record, I have a gaming PC, an Xbox One, and a PS4. I game on all three.

I don't like playing on consoles. The PS3 is used for blu ray playback. :)

Even my kids (18-23) stopped using consoles and play on the PC.

I have a steam Library of 250 plus games, mostly purchased between 70-80 percent off over the past 5 years. I have not played them all - hell Ive never even fired up most of them, but in comparison to dropping 60 beans on a new console game, or even used game buys at 19-20 for good ones at gamestop - If I had paid full retail for these things Id but hyper-buttsore about getting rid of a console.

On PC, Im happy and comfortable knowing that five years from now, when I want to play a windows title, it'll work. YMMV, but to me, not a bad investment.

There was a rumor that Bloodborne was coming to PC but they came out and said no. That doesn't mean it won't be a timed exclusive like so many other games. Forza is owned by Microsoft and we all know how Microsoft feels about PC gaming. Good luck ever seeing that game on MICROSOFT WINDOWS. As for Dead Rising 3 I've heard of the game but never looked into it. Though a lot of reviews of the game suggest that it isn't work bringing to PC.

Personal Example, when I bought my xbox 360, it was 400 dollars, and the TV was 3800.
Over the life of the console I bought maybe 12 games. So that's another 700 dollars.

I can promise you that in that same time span, I did not spend as much on my PC.

Upgrades on Pc went as follows -->(200?) e8400 --->(100)q6600 -->(300)i930 -->(120ish) 2600k --> (110)3770k -->(-103) i5 3570 (i needed vtdx)

video cards went like (400?) x1900xt + 100ish--> 8800 gts +100ish --> 9800gtx +130ish -->5870 +100ish --> gtx670 +200-- > gtx 780 (-120)---> gtx 970

The cost of the PC would be a sunk cost, because it has always been needed, and I'd imagine that the first graphics card would fall into that, since integrated graphics was insufficient for my professional needs, that however is no longer the case, and if I didn't game, I would probably not have a dedicated video card.

I think for the vast majority of users that do happen to need a desktop, the nominal cost of a video card, allows the Pc to create a value proposition for most users.

Now there's the cost of games to factor in, for a lot of people that I know, the historical cost of games was (0), however in my social circle Steam, Steam Sales, and (insert name)_ bundle has changed that completely. Personally, for me, I consider it a splurge when I spend more than 15 dollars on a game.

I like your upgrade path which is cool. However, the videocard cost was more than what you have listed. Also, the processors you upgraded to each needed a new mainboard.

I also forgot to say, who the hey spends $3800 on a TV!?!?!?! Wait, you paid full price for the Xbox 360 games but will not for a PC game? You examples do not even come close to showing true parity.

Cheaper hardware

Convenience

Install and play... no fiddling with settings or dealing with PC issues.

For the record, I have a gaming PC, an Xbox One, and a PS4. I game on all three.

Where is Endless Legend, Project Cars, rFactor, Elite:Dangerous, or League of Legends on PS4/Xbone/WiiU?

I haven't upgraded my PC in a couple of years. I do it in bits and pieces and technically I could have ran any current game on my old setup but most would only run at 1080p at 30+ fps which would be awful.

What's more convenient than never having to swap discs?

Steam has made everything "install and play". I just go into the graphics settings and set everything to ultra; since I'm playing at 1080p on my TV my old ass video card can run almost everything at 40+ fps with max settings. PC Issues? You mean like RROD, YLOD, Halo:MC being nonfunctional for weeks, PSN being down, etc? My PC runs 24/7 and never needs rebooted or any maintenance other than clicking the install button when a new video driver is released.

I have a PS3 that's just sitting in the closet. I'll buy a PS4 when it has something I want to play and is $200ish; Helljumpers is all that it has that I'm interested in at this point.

Back