7 Radiators, 50 Fans, and a lot of love = The BBBB

cpachris

n00b
Hello Hard Forum,

I'm in the middle of a pretty cool build, and I'd like to invite you to join the watch party. I spend most of my time over on overclock.net, but wanted to share some pictures with this forum also. My build color theme is crimson, in honor of my alma mater the University of Oklahoma....so you'll see a lot of custom color powder coating and dyeing of sleeve/connectors....because you really can't buy crimson parts directly. Here are a few pics to get started:

CaseLabs TH10 Case (crimson of course!)

CaseLabs-Both-8.jpg

CaseLabs-Both-4.jpg

CaseLabs-Both-1.jpg

More pictures of better quality are in my build log! Hope you'll check it out!

I did some heavy customization to my NoiseBlocker M12-S2 fans. Went from this:

4_MG_0927.jpg

.....to this:

_MG_1207.jpg

_MG_1188.jpg

_MG_1173.jpg

I have step by step pictures and instructions on what I did in my full build log. Hope you'll check it out!

Amazing work so far, you have my sub....that's a LOT of fans! What sort of hardware are you going to be dropping in to justify 7 rads? :D

Amazing work so far, you have my sub....that's a LOT of fans! What sort of hardware are you going to be dropping in to justify 7 rads? :D

Thanks m3ta1head! The hardware is high-end....but nothing exotic. The main reason for all the rads is I'm after a silent build. Not quiet....silent. And when you undervolt these Noiseblockers to about 900 rpm's, they don't make any noise. Problem is...when you spin them that slowly, the radiator's performance is impacted negatively. Lots of testing has showed that radiators dissipate twice as much heat when you move your fans from 1,000 rpm's to 2,000 rpm's. So I'll probably get the cooling power of 3 or 4 normal radiators that had fast spinning fans. But....mine will be silent.

Current hardware list in this post.

Remember, for every fan you have, your sound power doubles :). 50x silent isn't silent any longer! With that many rads, I'd spin them at their startup voltage.

Remember, for every fan you have, your sound power doubles :). 50x silent isn't silent any longer! With that many rads, I'd spin them at their startup voltage.

No....doesn't really work that way. Decibels are logarithmic, ..and doubling the sound pressure increases the decibel level by about 3 decibels. So you could double the number of fans in a given system...many times over...and still not increase the sound level (as measured in decibels) much at all.

Good wiki article here if your interested.

Sound power isn't the same as decibles, of course percieved loudness is logarithmic. That's not what I stated, though. :)

A 3db gain turns to a 6db gain with 4x the sound pressure... So 8 identical noise sources will be perceived 9db (about 2x) louder than one... Over 50 fans, that adds up!

Sound power isn't the same as decibles, of course percieved loudness is logarithmic. That's not what I stated, though. :)

A 3db gain turns to a 6db gain with 4x the sound pressure... So 8 identical noise sources will be perceived 9db (about 2x) louder than one... Over 50 fans, that adds up!

Sorry....didn't mean to misquote you. :) I'll be anxious to see what it sounds like with all of them running. They will be controlled with an Aquaero, so they will be spinning very slowly unless it senses a heavy load. I've only had 8 running at one time during my selection/testing....and they were still silent. With 50....I guess I can't say for sure. But it will be fun to see! I'll post some video with sound once its up and going. Thanks for the comments!

Sorry....didn't mean to misquote you. :) I'll be anxious to see what it sounds like with all of them running. They will be controlled with an Aquaero, so they will be spinning very slowly unless it senses a heavy load. I've only had 8 running at one time during my selection/testing....and they were still silent. With 50....I guess I can't say for sure. But it will be fun to see! I'll post some video with sound once its up and going. Thanks for the comments!

Haha, no worries at all (thus the :)'s). But this certainly is shaping up to be a badass build. I've subbed for sure.

2 = 3dB Louder
4 = 6dB
8 = 9dB
16 = 12dB
32 = 15dB
64 = 18dB

So you'll be somewhere around 17dBa louder than 1 fan at 900 rpms... and if you can find someone local to you with frequency response measurement capabilities (given you might), you can sound proof your case for certain frequencies. At the most complicated, you can design a helmholtz resonator to quell those frequencies.

Wow.. Nice Color.. I have my TH10 custom painted as well, However I used House of Colours Royale Burple and left the inside white as well.
But you have the Extension. I only have 3 Rad's in mine. can't wait to see more pics..

Have you considers moving the radiators to the other room or basement? This helps on noise and heat. The case size can be a lot smaller

Back