7 fans and still hot

I got 7 fans running in my case and my mobo is 33f my chip is 45 and my ambient temp(so says rivatuner) is 42c

I have an evga 6800gt
soyo dragon ultra platinum mobo
2400+ chip
my case is a thermaltake xaser3

there are 2 fans in the side window (top is exaust bottom intake) 1 sacked on the other and 2 fans in the rear set in the same fasion (both exaust), 1 fan in the top (exaust) and 2 fans stacked in the front (intake)

I went from a super cheat case to this one but the cheap case seemed to have less temps and only two fans (exaust)

what gives?
thanks

the front fan dont' have enuf air to suck in. try to do some of mod work by removin the front panel and cut off the silly grill on the front fans. also make a hole on both sides and remove that purple thing that holds the fan plus the top one too.

TT case sux i am tellin u. they didn't design correctly due to many air flow blockage for some fans.

News: my friend own one of this case and will do some mod soon.

I have the exactly same case you have right now, I think... take a look at my pic

MrStrykerPC.jpg

the thermaltake orange fans probably only have like 10 CFM!

yepthats the one, I took out the hard drive cages and put the hard drives in the FDD slots but they are almost sitting on top of each other, is that bad, there is a space between them but not much.
so far it seems to be a bit cooler
about the ttt fans are they weak? Ihave two good fans but they are set up in the back as exaust, do you think Ishould swap them out for the front ones?

Wow, are those 80mm fans? If so, with the grill and the size of the fans, you probably don't get enough airflow out of those fans anyways. I normally cut out the grill and enlarge the fans. I have 6 120mm panaflo fans running but then again I have a cube server case. With sound insulation, the case is barely audible and my case temp is about 3C above ambient temp.

This hasn't been pointed out yet so here goes.

45C is well within the reccomended tempature range for an athlon processor. Your system is not running hot.

If you want better airflow in your case, thats your business, and I would reccomend using larger (120mm) high RPM fans. Take a dremel to that case and make some bigger holes :cool:

I own a thermaltake xaser 3 with less fans than that and it runs at about 38c average

i have the newer TT armor case...i love it...it is actually designed so that you don't even need fans, well i have two 120's one for in and one for out and then two more 90mm outs. no window fans. window fans can actually disrupt air flow. anyways, my ambient case temp runs at room temp, my processor runs at 100f even with stock heatsink

Socket7 said:
This hasn't been pointed out yet so here goes.

45C is well within the reccomended tempature range for an athlon processor. Your system is not running hot.

If you want better airflow in your case, thats your business, and I would reccomend using larger (120mm) high RPM fans. Take a dremel to that case and make some bigger holes :cool:

well thats good news, i was just hoping to get the mobo a bit cooler and I hear alot of people posting temps on their 6800gt being cooler than mine and thats not fair :( I have a NV silencer on it and it does bring the temp down quick but I want to try to get it to bring the temp down further.

Speedfan and MBM5 reports my CPU temp as -35F (gigabyte board). The gigabyte tool says its like 87-93F...

an important thing was not mentioned here. What is the case temp, and what is the temp in your room?

It is 76 F right now in my room, one of the temp sensors on my MB say its 81F, and then the CPU temp is at 89F right now (encoding 6 hours of the simpsons in Divx).

If its 90F in your room, and 95F in the case, then its no wonder why you are getting 113F.

what we need is one of those thermal cameras. I saw one, where a guy held is hand to cold cement, and took it off. It left a nice orange handprint that slowly faded away, into the purple cement. Point it at your case, and see what the problem is...

Yeah, those temps aren't horrible at all, tho more airflow thru your case would help bring them down.

My computer room is hot in the summer (electric bill is already too darn high, I really don't want it higher by running a window a/c in here, especially when the central is running.....bad insulation small house, big windows.....yeah, sucks!) and cold in the winter. In the summer I keep the door off the case, and zip-tie a 90mm fan onto the support rail, and let it blow right on the cpu hs/fan. Drops the air temps ~20F. With it on, mbm is showing my case temp at 98F, and my cpu temp as 122F. If I turned off that 90mm fan, the cpu temp would go up to ~140F during the hot part of the day (it's 9:30pm, so temps are finally starting to go down now). I could go lower with a better heatsink/fan combo, but this works for now, and keeps me in business. :)

well I did some modding for the first time to a case, my chip is at 106f, mobo is at 83f and the gpu is 52c ambient is 35c

suffice to sy I have accomplished what I wanted to do, I think that I may be able to get it down a bit more though right now I got the front door open and the filters of the fans in the front, I cut out the piece of the fan enclosures that has all those little holes.

I wanted to get lower temps cuz I put on a NV silencer and my gpu went up a few degrees it aint making the best contact I think I had to put an aluminum shim between the copper base of the NV5 and the gpu, I couldnt find any copper shims at the local hardware store so I had to use aluminum. and I prolly have too much compound on it also but I started getting scared that I was going to hurt my video card so I gave up. thanks and if anybody has any pics of their modded xaser3's I love to see em.

thanks again

what is a normal spread for temperatures (ambient and chip) right now there is about a 20 degree difference, ambient is 37 and GPU is 56

Fistandantilis said:
I got 7 fans running in my case and my mobo is 33f my chip is 45 and my ambient temp(so says rivatuner) is 42c

I have an evga 6800gt
soyo dragon ultra platinum mobo
2400+ chip
my case is a thermaltake xaser3

there are 2 fans in the side window (top is exaust bottom intake) 1 sacked on the other and 2 fans in the rear set in the same fasion (both exaust), 1 fan in the top (exaust) and 2 fans stacked in the front (intake)

I went from a super cheat case to this one but the cheap case seemed to have less temps and only two fans (exaust)

what gives?
thanks

your windows should be intake...front intake...rear exhaust, andif you got a"blowhole" then that esxhausts... that's the only way to do it...otherwise your effin up the airflow.

ray4389 said:
your windows should be intake...front intake...rear exhaust, andif you got a"blowhole" then that esxhausts... that's the only way to do it...otherwise your effin up the airflow.

I have tried that and things were not so good, but I didnt have it set like that for long, I will do it again and play a bit and see how things are.

have you tried not using the side intakes? sometimes those alone can mess up the entire airflow in a case.

I have thought about that but I havent yet, I will though, I will post back in a few hours with results. thanks

Fistandantilis said:
>>>

Let's see, you have 3 intake & 4 exhaust which means negative pressure within
the case. It's usually better to have positive. If nothing else just to keep dust from
being sucked in through every little gap.
And since you have the intake & exhaust so close the air may not be making it's way
to the heart of the system.

There are numerous threads across the OCing forums which explain how cooling efficiency
drops with too many fans.. And like o0akoni0o said, side fans often hurt airflow by
keeping the air from the front fans from reaching the top exhaust.

You know, I've always been a big advocate of a "fanless" blowhole up top. No need to
match your intake & exhaust airflow that way. Just let the warmed air rise up & out naturally.
How well this works depends on your system config. of course.

well I have the case pretty cool right now and the airflow seems to be ok, right now I am more concered with the lack of connection between my NV silencer and the ram on my 6800gt, there is a hair sized gap on two or four of the ram chips, is that going to kick me in the ass?

right now I am more concered with the lack of connection between my NV silencer and the ram on my 6800gt, there is a hair sized gap on two or four of the ram chips, is that going to kick me in the ass?

While not a good thing that is common unfortunately. It's the Achilles heel of most 6800
series stock coolers.

Though I can certainly see why as most manufactures can't bother making all the RAM pads
make equal contact. Too many variables.

Which is one reason why 6800 sinks like the Stasis Ice Storm are so good. Separate coolers
for the RAM and GPU.

42C ain't hot for a CPU temp.

edit: and seconding the comments about airflow - Intakes front and bottom, Exhausts back and top. And it is ery possibly to be running too many fans, if they are working at cross-purposes or the cfm balance is way out of whack.

I am going to get a zalman zf700 I heave heard alo of nice things about them.

thanks for the posts, If I take out the side window case fans should I literally take them out or should I leave them in, keep in mind I have the theramltake xaser3 and the fans mount on a plate within the case so if I took them out I wont have two gaping holes.

You could always come up with a modded side plate if things worked out better temperature wise for you. Maybe something like a reverse window mod, could be etched, but probably not see-through. could be interesting if you put some imagination into it.

my 2 cents.

thanks for the 2 cent...if I took out the side fans you wouldnt notice a difference looks anyway. but I did disconnect power to the side fans and there was no difference in temps, oh well

I seem to have a bigger problem, my 6800gt as not making the proper contact with the ram part of the nv silencer I installed, looking to get a zalman what does your 2 cents think about that, good bad? let me know

mines fine, but theres the fact that i have 4 tornados. i really need to dust it out. ive been too lazy and the dust is really making me put back my ocs. and the wiring mess.. = (

Edit. The top exhaust does almost nothing. The hole is too small. They fixed it in the armor case. Your better off not using it at all.

AznAnarchy99 said:
mines fine, but theres the fact that i have 4 tornados. i really need to dust it out. ive been too lazy and the dust is really making me put back my ocs. and the wiring mess.. = (

Edit. The top exhaust does almost nothing. The hole is too small. They fixed it in the armor case. Your better off not using it at all.

should I take the fan out of the top and leave it as a vent?

also I have been on my computer for about an hour, my temps are:

2400+ ~2.0gig = 43c
soyo dragon ultra = 28c
evga 6800gt stock settings NV silencer r2 = 48c ambient = 36c

looks nice huh, My biggest problem though is the NV silencer is not making good contact on the ram, waiting for my zalman

i would take it out. when i put a tornado at the top, i was noticing it was not pushing much air and was just circulating it around in the case again. the hole is not big enough (if u look at the armor, its much much bigger). if you put ur hand over it, you dont feel much air going out.

Back