7-Eleven Is Testing Cashier-Less Checkout in Texas

cageymaru

Fully [H]
7-Eleven stores at 14 locations in Dallas, Texas have instituted a Scan & Pay system where customers can scan and pay for items using their mobile phones. Certain age restricted items and hot food will still require a cashier. Customers have a choice of using Apple Pay, Google Pay or a traditional debit or credit card to pay for their purchases. Customers then scan a QR code on the final confirmation screen to complete the purchase. Sam's Club and Amazon have similar experiences.

"Our customers are on the go, looking for faster, more convenient ways to shop more than ever before. 7-Eleven continues to redefine convenience by providing frictionless experiences for our customers with Scan & Pay. Our customers can now use their smartphone to skip the line, every time," said Gurmeet Singh, Chief Digital Officer and Chief Information Officer at 7-Eleven.

Hello.......self-checkout.......been to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot lately???

Reminds me of Bush #1...........went to a grocery store and was dumbstruck by the bar code scanner.

Meh, this notion about using self check out is some how skipping the line. I can point this guy to self-checkouts at grocery stores. Some places should not be messed with, I know they all want to get with the tech for the sake of getting on with the tech. Just accept apple pay and google checkout and call it a day. To say somehow they are skipping the line is non sense. The more people use self checkout the less efficient it becomes.

Plus when it comes to swinging by a gas station, convenience store or grocery store, I actually enjoy the interaction. I would rather use apple pay at the cashier than use the machine.

Reminds me of Bush #1...........went to a grocery store and was dumbstruck by the bar code scanner.

Yep! Hate self-checkouts rofl! Give me more people working at registers. This guy needs to just needs to stick to google/apple pay at the cashier. I think he is doing something just for the sake of doing things. This is just going to have more pissed off people at self-checkouts. I think if you took a survey of people if they love or hate self-checkouts. I bet majority of them would say I would rather deal with a cashier.

If you can’t use self check quickly get into the line with the booze hounds.

Problem solved.

Also both the above examples are age protected buys so they don’t even fit into what you can do on self check.

Self checkout in a 7-11.

How much stuff is going to just walk off from a place like that?

Probably the same amount that already walks out as it is. I don't think people who would normally pay for goods when there is a cashier are suddenly going to start stealing. The people who are willing to steal from 7-11 already steal as much as they want.

The problem of self checkout is theft. These are more of those "it's a good idea" on paper.

And there will continue to be until Amazon starts drone delivering slurpies and cholesterol that has been shaped into the likeness of food.

What state do you live in? Here in Texas, especially the Dallas area, they're as ubiquitous as QT, probably even more so. Hell, they're practically on every 2 or 3 blocks apart it seems sometimes....and they can't figure out which gasoline providers to use. It used to be Citgo but a lot of them have been switching to Exxon lately I notice.

I love self checkout. I get in and out much faster.

Try walmart? lol! I can bet if you are waiting behind someone in the self checkout and there is only one person infront of you at the cashier. Cashier will be faster. Given they have equal amount of items.

What state do you live in? Here in Texas, especially the Dallas area, they're as ubiquitous as QT, probably even more so. Hell, they're practically on every 2 or 3 blocks apart it seems sometimes....and they can't figure out which gasoline providers to use. It used to be Citgo but a lot of them have been switching to Exxon lately I notice.

Actually meant that for lucid....

Wait, there are still 7-11s?

And there will continue to be until Amazon starts drone delivering slurpies and cholesterol that has been shaped into the likeness of food.

They have to be able to do that within a few minutes of the order at 3am to somebody who has engaged in enough recreational pharmaceuticals that they can't get their eyes to point in the same direction let alone describe their location.

Unless it somehow helps with the senior citizens trying and failing to buy lottery tickets because they can't fill the form out right.... or spend 20 minutes looking at all the scratch offs.... I don't see it helping. The one area where it could help (food and beer) it won't work on because both those things require a person to serve a hotdog / check id.

QT and Racetrack do it right. Get your own damn food. Always 2 people working the checkout when it's busy. If grandma holds up the line for lotto, they get moved to the side so the rest of the line keeps moving (I've seen this personally).

This kind of reminds me of when 7-11 was trying to be "hip and cool" by selling video games, and they would have launch events late at night for game releases. I noticed they gave that shit up.

Also... I've noticed the people at QT and Racetrack will at least attempt to be friendly. <comments about shitty 7-11 employees redacted>

Last edited:
Try walmart? lol! I can bet if you are waiting behind someone in the self checkout and there is only one person infront of you at the cashier. Cashier will be faster. Given they have equal amount of items.
I do like 99% of my shopping at Walmart and I use self checkout all of the time. I have never seen self checkout being slower than a person. The cashier lines are always slower (due to most people who use those have full carts) and have lines. I normally have a small number of things, >20, due to only buying for myself. Perhaps it is slower if you have a tone of items?

I do like 99% of my shopping at Walmart and I use self checkout all of the time. I have never seen self checkout being slower than a person. The cashier lines are always slower (due to most people who use those have full carts) and have lines. I normally have a small number of things, >20, due to only buying for myself. Perhaps it is slower if you have a tone of items?

it depends. I have Walmart with 2 miles from where I live. I feel like they are just too cheap and don't have enough cashiers. So most people are forced to self checkout. You are right if its only a few items its better, but I have noticed walmart self checkout is one of the slowest checkouts I have used. Usually if cashiers are open I tend to avoid self checkout as I don't have to worry about scanning the items. Target self checkout is 100% faster than walmart for me. Walmart checkout for me is laggy as hell and this is like a brand new walmart lol.

What the fuck exactly is the point here? Automation was made to eliminate positions - but in the case of gas stations (7-11) there already is only 1 employee working usually.... So as long as that 1-employee is still there (obvious requirement, otherwise people would steal everything) then what is the point?

THE FUTURE IS HERRRRRRRRREEEEEE...about 5 years ago or more.

The self check out lanes at WM are fine if you have like 10-20 things and everything scans correctly, or aren't buying alcohol. However the reason the human checkout lanes are so slow is at least partly because the WM cashiers get zero training on how to do anything outside of scan stuff and call a supervisor when something doesn't work right. They have zero bagging skills... when I'm there and we bring our own bags, I "help" them bag groceries so that my eggs don't wind up at the bottom of the bag under 20 cans.

I used to work at a company that pioneered these things, and they used to laugh about how these things would never replace humans. They were buggy as hell and I was promised nothing would go retail until all the kinks were worked out..... they were "just tools to speed up the process". Yeah right. Then the company got bought and we all got laid off. About 30 seconds after that happened WM and local grocery stores all had them.

Is it fair to compare modern POS systems with crap that ran on Windows NT 15ish years ago? Maybe, maybe not. Do we really think they have improved that much since then?

I don't mind places that give you the option, sometimes I prefer doing it myself, but I loathe the 100% self checkout model. It's common in grocery stores in the UK (Tesco) and they tried it over here in the US with Fresh and Easy, and I grew to hate that place so much. There was one down the street from me for a few years before they went bankrupt because they were so awful.

I feel really sorry for the one person in the whole store who has to deal with alcohol purchases, people who can't figure the machines out, and on and on. It's a seriously shitty customer (and I imagine employee) experience and it's just pure cost cutting. It's not like we are getting a discount from the lower labor costs, or anything. So yeah, fuck that.

The self check out lanes at WM are fine if you have like 10-20 things and everything scans correctly, or aren't buying alcohol. However the reason the human checkout lanes are so slow is at least partly because the WM cashiers get zero training on how to do anything outside of scan stuff and call a supervisor when something doesn't work right. They have zero bagging skills... when I'm there and we bring our own bags, I "help" them bag groceries so that my eggs don't wind up at the bottom of the bag under 20 cans.

I used to work at a company that pioneered these things, and they used to laugh about how these things would never replace humans. They were buggy as hell and I was promised nothing would go retail until all the kinks were worked out..... they were "just tools to speed up the process". Yeah right. Then the company got bought and we all got laid off. About 30 seconds after that happened WM and local grocery stores all had them.

Is it fair to compare modern POS systems with crap that ran on Windows NT 15ish years ago? Maybe, maybe not. Do we really think they have improved that much since then?
It's a fair assessment. The hardware has been upgraded considerably over the years.

Wait, there are still 7-11s?

That is something that was never prolific where I live. There is a single 7-11 that I know of within 30 miles of me. I have only ever been there once and that was 20 years ago. I know it is still open, but never had a reason to go there vs anywhere other place.

Depends on the location. The Walmart near me has 16 smaller stations and 8 "normal sized" stations. All are normally running vs maybe 5 of the 20 manned registers during normal business hours, 1 or maybe 2 manned lanes after midnight. So those lines normally go much faster given that you are able to get to a self check out faster than a manned station. Addition of self checkout did not change the number of manned stations, just allowed more lanes to check out really. Normally I can get to a self checkout lane by just walking up to one while manned lanes might have 4 - 6 people waiting in a line.

Hate self checkout.
If you want me to scan my own stuff then give me a discount. I'm not working for free.

I view my time as having value. If the self checkout line gets me out of the store 5 - 10 minutes faster that is of value to me. If your time has no value then yes your statement is true.

What the fuck exactly is the point here? Automation was made to eliminate positions - but in the case of gas stations (7-11) there already is only 1 employee working usually.... So as long as that 1-employee is still there (obvious requirement, otherwise people would steal everything) then what is the point?

More profits, since that's 1-2 less people you need to employee.

Yep! Hate self-checkouts rofl! Give me more people working at registers. This guy needs to just needs to stick to google/apple pay at the cashier. I think he is doing something just for the sake of doing things. This is just going to have more pissed off people at self-checkouts. I think if you took a survey of people if they love or hate self-checkouts. I bet majority of them would say I would rather deal with a cashier.

Why do you hate them? I find them awesome. Seriously I want to know what your beef with the tech is. Are they hard to use or do you just have a problem with a machine doing a job more efficiently?

The Walmart self checkout is very fast and accurate. The Ingles Grocery self checkouts.....very slow.

As for 7-11, I would like it if they stocked more "real" food like those in the Japanese/Korean stores. All we get in the USA is stale hot dogs and burgers and pizza.

The only ones I find who hate self checkout don't understand how to use them. I refuse to use a cashier any chance I get. I'm faster, I don't stick shit that doesn't belong together in the same bag, I don't over stuff bags, I don't have to guess what this strange vegetable is because I'm a picky dipshit teen who only eats garbage and most importantly I don't have to interact with people I couldn't care less about.

The people that have jobs that are being replaced by technology, sure that's money they need, but are they really getting satisfaction out of such a menial job? Probably not.

Sure, not everyone is equally "smart", but plenty of us can contribute to humanity far more than just being a register Jockey.

What needs to be available though is the ability to retrain, even if you have no income, without incurring life long debt. Many people need to have two or three of these menial jobs to just stay off the streets. We need to enable them to grow beyond that, and affordable, non-burdening, education is how that's done.

Some countries have it. Some don't.

Is this something you want?

Vote.

What does a self made wealthy oil tycoon need to know about a barcode scanner??
To prove that he is "Joe Sixpak" nope he is not.

Give me all your money, put it in the bag!

I can't let you do that Dave.....

I'll take self-checkout any chance I get just to avoid wasting time with the mouth breathers at the registers, unless I have a large number of items or things that are difficult to scan. For example, I had to stop at Home Depot yesterday and pickup about $150 of vinyl gutter stuff (clips, elbows, downspouts, gutters, etc.). Dealing with 10' sections of gutters and downspouts in the self checkout and about 40 smaller items didn't sound fun and I knew the employee running them would have to help at least once during the process. So I sucked it up and went to the one cashier open and had to listen to fucking small talk while he picked up each item, scanned it, put it in a bag.... all slower than I can do at a self-checkout that has a freaking delay. Plus the "oh, looks like your mind has been in the gutters today... hahaha" banter :rolleyes:

Anything that saves me time (which self checkouts at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Kroger, etc. do almost every time for me) and avoid small talk interactions with others is a win. Unfortunately, there is a strong "anti-automation" voice around these areas whining about how it puts people out of jobs and is so non-personal. Heck, if I pull into a gas station in there area I can guarantee 1/2-3/4 of the other drivers are pulling in, walking into the store to wait in line and prepay gas, then walking back out to pump it. Nothing is more infuriating than pulling in right behind someone to get gas at the same time and watching them get out and walk in to pay instead of paying at the pump. I know I'm going to be finished before them and have to sit and wait because there is a line behind me so I can't back out and they went in to make small talk with Jim Bob.. after waiting in line for 5 minutes with all the other schmucks. "OMG, what about the credit card skimmers!!!" seems to be a regular thing around here.. that's why I stop at the stations I know and make sure to check the pump before I use my card. Who knows, maybe everyone just pays with cash around here though I highly doubt that.

I say "bring on my robotic overlords!" Self-checkout at stores and ordering kiosks at fast food places. Heck, give me a touch screen at a sit down restaurant so I only get interrupted by the wait staff when I request them.

Self checkout at convenience/gas stations is the next logical step IMO. I can already pull in, get gas, and leave without dealing with the staff... might as well make it the same for walking inside to grab a soda and candy bar.

The only ones I find who hate self checkout don't understand how to use them. I refuse to use a cashier any chance I get. I'm faster, I don't stick shit that doesn't belong together in the same bag, I don't over stuff bags, I don't have to guess what this strange vegetable is because I'm a picky dipshit teen who only eats garbage and most importantly I don't have to interact with people I couldn't care less about.

Oh kool!

I'll take self-checkout any chance I get just to avoid wasting time with the mouth breathers at the registers, unless I have a large number of items or things that are difficult to scan. For example, I had to stop at Home Depot yesterday and pickup about $150 of vinyl gutter stuff (clips, elbows, downspouts, gutters, etc.). Dealing with 10' sections of gutters and downspouts in the self checkout and about 40 smaller items didn't sound fun and I knew the employee running them would have to help at least once during the process. So I sucked it up and went to the one cashier open and had to listen to fucking small talk while he picked up each item, scanned it, put it in a bag.... all slower than I can do at a self-checkout that has a freaking delay. Plus the "oh, looks like your mind has been in the gutters today... hahaha" banter :rolleyes:

Anything that saves me time (which self checkouts at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Kroger, etc. do almost every time for me) and avoid small talk interactions with others is a win. Unfortunately, there is a strong "anti-automation" voice around these areas whining about how it puts people out of jobs and is so non-personal. Heck, if I pull into a gas station in there area I can guarantee 1/2-3/4 of the other drivers are pulling in, walking into the store to wait in line and prepay gas, then walking back out to pump it. Nothing is more infuriating than pulling in right behind someone to get gas at the same time and watching them get out and walk in to pay instead of paying at the pump. I know I'm going to be finished before them and have to sit and wait because there is a line behind me so I can't back out and they went in to make small talk with Jim Bob.. after waiting in line for 5 minutes with all the other schmucks. "OMG, what about the credit card skimmers!!!" seems to be a regular thing around here.. that's why I stop at the stations I know and make sure to check the pump before I use my card. Who knows, maybe everyone just pays with cash around here though I highly doubt that.

I say "bring on my robotic overlords!" Self-checkout at stores and ordering kiosks at fast food places. Heck, give me a touch screen at a sit down restaurant so I only get interrupted by the wait staff when I request them.

Self checkout at convenience/gas stations is the next logical step IMO. I can already pull in, get gas, and leave without dealing with the staff... might as well make it the same for walking inside to grab a soda and candy bar.

So you actually are mad cashier tried to have small chat with you! You must be so kool! It’s not about jobs bla bla. Use self checkout when it’s efficient. But why is it that you can’t make your point without talking shit about someone you wouldn’t say it to their face? So you decided you needed help from cashier but he tried to be a human being and talk? I don’t get this shit about talking shit about cashiers because they talked to you lol. Next time just use self checkout and call it a day.

The people that have jobs that are being replaced by technology, sure that's money they need, but are they really getting satisfaction out of such a menial job? Probably not.

Sure, not everyone is equally "smart", but plenty of us can contribute to humanity far more than just being a register Jockey.

What needs to be available though is the ability to retrain, even if you have no income, without incurring life long debt. Many people need to have two or three of these menial jobs to just stay off the streets. We need to enable them to grow beyond that, and affordable, non-burdening, education is how that's done.

Some countries have it. Some don't.

Is this something you want?

Vote.

Most of the arguments I see against automation are "but what are the poor going to do for work?". Well find a new job that requires some skill thats what. There will ALWAYS be a market for human labor. For example if we completely automate restaurants you will see a new class of restaurant pop up that uses all human staff which you will pay a PREMIUM for. Why? Because some people are elitist snobs and will claim that it tastes better when its made by a human (and maybe in some cases it will). Another reason is some will pay because they like the interaction with a human waiter/waitress.

Will that employ all the unwashed masses? Nope not even close. And you know what? Thats ok. They claimed doom and gloom with the industrial revolution and we found new work. Some people were left behind but by and large society adjusted...

Walmart grocery pickup bro! Going inside the store is sooo 1995.

Walmart grocery pickup bro! Going inside the store is sooo 1995.

True but a lot of people are picky about their groceries. lol. I know my family be trying to pickup the perfect looking vegetables, I am the same way rofl!

Back