$6K NES game on ebay

I might go search around at some pawn shops and see if i can find one of these. lol.

6 grand for a game made in 1990.. over 15 years ago.. are people really this stupid? I mean, for that cash you can get a xbox 360, ps3, boatload of games for each and a huge plasma screen.. lol

I just posted this auction in irc, someone said,

"jesus I have on of these I got when I was a kid"

"im rich, peace"

yblocgerg said:
I might go search around at some pawn shops and see if i can find one of these. lol.

According to the second link, you'll never find this cart at a Pawn shop. There were only 116 made and all of them ended up in the hands of the big winners of the NWC. Most of them probably still have them as trophies...this is just a happenchance that this cart ended up on the open market.

Techx said:
6 grand for a game made in 1990.. over 15 years ago.. are people really this stupid? I mean, for that cash you can get a xbox 360, ps3, boatload of games for each and a huge plasma screen.. lol
Are you really that stupid?

I saw the thread title and knew exactly what this was before opening it.

These things are an awesome piece of nostalgia if you're into collecting. I tend to see things at face value, so this wouldn't be worth it to me, but I know enough to know that a collector would think that it is worth it's weight in gold.

I remember they had something similar to that for the SNES, You had to go to blockbusters and play a trial round to qualify.

slowbiz said:
That's sweet. Reminds me of 'The Wizard'.

"I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

man, some of the lines in that movie were so ridiculously funny. of course, back when i was a kid, it was the best movie of all time.

Yeah I guess. So there is probable way less than that if that was the number in 1990 :eek:

Its a collectors item. I wouldnt print out a rare baseball card from my printer, and say "haha! I saved 600$!11"

wow.... i don't get it. Why would someone want to pay that much for it. Just to frame it on there wall or something. I never heard of it. Now I could understand if it was a game that everyone knows. LIke the frist super mario or something.......

Ron1jed said:
wow.... i don't get it. Why would someone want to pay that much for it. Just to frame it on there wall or something. I never heard of it. Now I could understand if it was a game that everyone knows. LIke the frist super mario or something.......
That's what collecting is. Not everyone buys items for what they can do. also, the fact that it it's such an unknown game, used for a one of a kind world tournament, makes it value go up even more.

The first print of mario bro. is probably worth next to nothing, considering there were lord knows how many copies created. But a game where only 116 copies were ever created, AND they weren't even sold, only given out by hand and by nintendo themselves, is of... well it's worth 6g apparently.

And it's really not that difficult to read the supporting links, is it? it's a short essay's worth of writting, and a good read for those that remember the NWC or like me were just shy of being able to know about it (i was only 7 at the time).

Go get acquanted with your roots people! jeez! ;)

Hey I remember playing in that tournament. I wasnt a finalist but still went to the qualifying tournament and played one of those exact 6 minue games

altec said:
Seems really cool but i wouldn't pay that much for it.

Oh yes you would. Come on. If you had some extra change you would buy it. Admit it! Anyone find any screenies of this game?

pr0pensity said:
Are you really that stupid?

Uhh.. maybe your slow so I guess I'll spell it out for you :rolleyes:

43" Plasma at Best Buy on sale $3,499.99
xbox 360 with all accessories plus games $1,000.00
ps3 with all accessories plus games $1,000.00
TOTAL $5,499.99 WITH CASH LEFT OVER

Techx said:
Uhh.. maybe your slow so I guess I'll spell it out for you :rolleyes:

43" Plasma at Best Buy on sale $3,499.99
xbox 360 with all accessories plus games $1,000.00
ps3 with all accessories plus games $1,000.00
TOTAL $5,499.99 WITH CASH LEFT OVER

You're making yourself look like an ignorant jackass.

It's not the game itself, not many people give a flying fuck about the game itself. There were 116 made. That means there is one cart for every 55,570,098 people. It is RARE. It's the same reason people pay MILLIONS for rare coins. It's not that they want to spend the $20 gold coin they paid $5million for, it's that they want to COLLECT it.

Collect v.
To accumulate as a hobby or for study.

Do you realize that if someone has $7,000 to buy a NES game they already have a better TV than the one you posted, probably every console ever made, and very likely most games ever made for each system? They are a die-hard collector.

S1nF1xx said:
You're making yourself look like an ignorant jackass.

It's not the game itself, not many people give a flying fuck about the game itself. There were 116 made. That means there is one cart for every 55,570,098 people. It is RARE. It's the same reason people pay MILLIONS for rare coins. It's not that they want to spend the $20 gold coin they paid $5million for, it's that they want to COLLECT it.

Collect v.
To accumulate as a hobby or for study.

Do you realize that if someone has $7,000 to buy a NES game they already have a better TV than the one you posted, probably every console ever made, and very likely most games ever made for each system? They are a die-hard collector.

Heh I understand that collectors are willing to spend more on their hobbies. But I have the right to my opinion that 6 grand is a bit much for 1 old cart, and many other people in this thread have said the same thing.

Techx said:
Heh I understand that collectors are willing to spend more on their hobbies. But I have the right to my opinion that 6 grand is a bit much for 1 old cart, and many other people in this thread have said the same thing.

Of course you have a right to your opinion.

It's when you call people stupid because they want the game instead of a TV and a ton of new games that you lose the point of collecting though. Collecting isn't about paying face value for something.

S1nF1xx said:
Of course you have a right to your opinion.

It's when you call people stupid because they want the game instead of a TV and a ton of new games that you lose the point of collecting though. Collecting isn't about paying face value for something.

Yeah your right, my bad then :)

Techx said:
Yeah your right, my bad then :)

Amazing. Two people had a disagreement on the [H]ard forum and it didn't end in a flaming match. We should get medals! lol :D

Chances are that if they can spend 6k on a Nintendo game, than they can probably afford a plasma tv, games, or whatever else.

lol also. this is hardforums. most people wouldn't even think of upgrading their computers every 6months or less. to them its crazy talk. i mean who has enough time and money to waste so that they can upgrade their computer so often. yet, there's a reason why these forums were created. so yeah...

Collecting things serves no real purpose and is therefore a worthless endeavor. Anyone who spends this much on a game cartridge has mental problems.

if they have the money to burn and are a fanatical NES collector, then how is it stupid or rediculous in any way?

i'm sure we've all paid an outrageous price for a rare item that we just had to have

Collecting things serves no real purpose and is therefore a worthless endeavor.
:rolleyes:

ScretHate said:
Collecting things serves no real purpose and is therefore a worthless endeavor. Anyone who spends this much on a game cartridge has mental problems.
You sound like a very stale person. i'm glad i'm not your friend.

You wouldn't happen to have any old computer parts laying around, do you? Parts that you probably will never use, but don't want to throw out? what about older games that you'll never play again?

Everyone collects things, even if they say you don't. just because you're not spending 6k for one item does not mean you too are wasting money in a "worthless endeavor".

Say what you will, but there's a real market and purpose for collecting. In the end the cost's can payoff.

For a game i wouldn't pay that much unless it was of really extreme historical value rather than from a competition. This is just a rare cartridge from an obselete gaming system so i can see how someone who DOES collect every single cartridge would want it.
As for collecting, if you enjoy it and it's fun and can afford it, then there is no reason not to do it. I've been collecting comics for 20 years now and while i haven't read alot of my collection in ages i have read every single comic i own at one time or another. (nearing almost 8-9k comics atm). Plus i can go back and read them all anytime i want. Also collect nascar items and older books. In the quote about the coin tho, if that coin is only one or two left on the planet then it can be worth 5 million or more (or less). Depends on the rarity of the item in question and it's history...
The people on that ebay bid probably are hardcore collectors (at least the ones that have the high bids) or just bidding the price up to get the most money imho...

If you have 6k to spend on something just for the hell of it you obviously arnt crazy since you are making or made a damn good deal of money in your life(unless you are some basterd hier) :D

i would consider this cart in particular of historical value. Considering it was for probably one of the first gaming tournaments.

Back